If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see there's an $80k limit on udfa signing bonus but I see nothing on salary

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/05/teams-have-80362-for-udfa-signing-bonuses/

I'm not chasing the rule now but use common sense- why would you cap bonuses so low but not salary? You really think a team could offer 10m in salary and just 80k I'm signing bonus, to take it to the extreme?

If he cannot get into next year's draft like the NFL says I would imagine the Bills would be near the top of his list for teams he could play right away for if exonerated. Maybe we have a chance.

Would he just be an unrestricted free agent after the season if he sits? That might be better than the draft for him. Not sure it would encourage him to not sit.

Though he may be bluffing

I'm not chasing the rule now but use common sense- why would you cap bonuses so low but not salary? You really think a team could offer 10m in salary and just 80k I'm signing bonus, to take it to the extreme?

As long as its permitted, why not? This is an unusual situation

Do udfa count in your rookie pool?

I believe they are all league minimum salary and you get a small pool for signing bonus. Who that's delineated from the "rookie pool" I'm not sure but it's regulated

Would he just be an unrestricted free agent after the season if he sits? That might be better than the draft for him. Not sure it would encourage him to not sit.

Though he may be bluffing

I guess. But if he is an udfa he would still not be able to get a huge deal. I doubt he would go into the regular FA class but maybe. Just don't know when they would make him an UDFA.

I guess. But if he is an udfa he would still not be able to get a huge deal. I doubt he would go into the regular FA class but maybe. Just don't know when they would make him an UDFA.

Why wouldn't he be an unrestricted free agent? Why would it be any different than a guy coming from Canada, or arena, or....

Genuinely, I'm not sure on the next year stuff, just taking a shot based on my best common sense

Edited by NoSaint

Every negative thought I've had with this draft would be erased in my mind if somehow Whaley can get this guy into the fold and get him to play. That's of course assuming he didn't have anything to do with this murder, which I highly doubt.

Why wouldn't he be an unrestricted free agent? Why would it be any different than a guy coming from Canada, or arena, or....

I guess to prevent guys from doing this and telling teams they will not sign with them, like guys that have fallen for drug tests or injuries or whatever.

I guess to prevent guys from doing this and telling teams they will not sign with them, like guys that have fallen for drug tests or injuries or whatever.

Essentially that would mean that every player no matter their route must either be drafted or subject to udfa rules (ie league minimum) when entering the league no matter when they get their first contract offer?

Even the random rugby guys or stealing a guy from the cfl? Like wake? (Don't recall his situation from draft to nfl off hand, just spitballing)

Edited by NoSaint

Essentially that would mean that every player no matter their route must either be drafted or subject to udfa rules (ie league minimum) when entering the league no matter when they get their first contract offer?

Even the random rugby guys or stealing a guy from the cfl? Like wake? (Don't recall his situation from draft to nfl off hand, just spitballing)

Don't know. I'm thinking out loud. But would imagine it only applied to guys from a particular year's draft class.

We've established he won't be a first round pick, I don't feel like we've seen he can't get first round money

Not officially. If he is exonerated, and he sits out a full year, someone will surely sign him. There may even be a mini bidding war. I still doubt he is going to get first round money. Incentive laden perhaps. The year off will hurt. If he is able, he will get a good contract. I can't ever remember a guy who was allowed to be a FA during the regular FA period though. Maybe there has been.