Bring Back Spikes--edit signed with ne***

Exactly. The reality of this team is that every single member of their DL was resigned. The big difference between this D and last year's is that our base package is a 3-4 rather than a 4-3.

Given we are increasing our base LB need by 1 AND we have traded away a young up and coming LB , simply dismissing Spikes does not seem like the smartest football move.

If we can get something better for less expense GREAT. However, if we can't and resign him, GREAT also. I simply see no reason for a Bills fan to either dismiss a player who has human llmitations but performed well when asked last year and publicly says he wants to stay, why hate on him.

honestly, we will probably run a nickel shell, with 4 lineman as our "base" -- most teams are in nickel more than anything else these days.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, we will probably run a nickel shell, with 4 lineman as our "base" -- most teams are in nickel more than anything else these days.

Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes are defensive ends, whether they are standing up or with their hand on the ground. 90-95% of the plays they will rush as hard as they can as bookends at the snap. We won't count plays when they jump inside and the DT jumps outside to create confusion but is the same thing, four linemen rushing. 90-95% of the plays we will have two defensive tackles in the game, Dareus and Kyle, or someone spelling them. At no time will we have four linebackers and not all that often will there be three (outside of formations in a straight 4-3) especially if Spikes returns.

We are not a 3-4 defense.

Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes are defensive ends, whether they are standing up or with their hand on the ground. 90-95% of the plays they will rush as hard as they can as bookends at the snap. We won't count plays when they jump inside and the DT jumps outside to create confusion but is the same thing, four linemen rushing. 90-95% of the plays we will have two defensive tackles in the game, Dareus and Kyle, or someone spelling them. At no time will we have four linebackers and not all that often will there be three (outside of formations in a straight 4-3) especially if Spikes returns.

Why wouldn't we have 4 LB's? Brown+Bradham+Mario+Hughes?

Edited by FireChan

You must have some information I don't. Both Hughes and Mario said they are LB's if I recall correctly.

so you are of the thought we will be running the 2-5? or will there be 3 with their hands in the ground, plus those two rushing most plays?

lets be real, whatever the configuration our base D is our front 4 rushing in pretty much any alignment. i dont expect to see either mario or hughes handle any coverage duties outside an occasional zone blitz.

so you are of the thought we will be running the 2-5? or will there be 3 with their hands in the ground, plus those two rushing most plays?

lets be real, whatever the configuration our base D is our front 4 rushing in pretty much any alignment. i dont expect to see either mario or hughes handle any coverage duties outside an occasional zone blitz.

I actually don't know. While what KtD says sounds possible, I don't know if that's what will happen. Looking at what Pettine did two years ago is tough, because Hughes was a rotational player. With his new contract, it'd be irresponsible for him to have the same role with Rex.

Personally, I could see us grabbing another D-lineman, moving KW to DE, with Hughes and Mario at LB. Those guys said that they are LB's. If that means Mario/Hughes/KW/Dareus are rushing a huge majority of the time with no other D-linemen, I'm on board.

Exactly. For the last two years it has basically been the same regardless of what people call it. We rush four guys on the line every play. We have two defensive tackles every play. We have two or at most three linebackers. Mario and Hughes line up outside the tackles and rush hard every play. That's a DE. When Kiko was here he was a 4-3 MLB most every play, with any two man combination of Lawson, Moats or Bradham late in the year on either side. That's a 4-3 by every definition. It's not going to change much. Except there will be a little more zone blitzes as you say and they will drop back while someone else blitzes, which is why I said 90-95%.

I actually don't know. While what KtD says sounds possible, I don't know if that's what will happen. Looking at what Pettine did two years ago is tough, because Hughes was a rotational player. With his new contract, it'd be irresponsible for him to have the same role with Rex.

Personally, I could see us grabbing another D-lineman, moving KW to DE, with Hughes and Mario at LB. Those guys said that they are LB's. If that means Mario/Hughes/KW/Dareus are rushing a huge majority of the time with no other D-linemen, I'm on board.

When Hughes wasn't in rushing the passer, Carrington was playing DE and rushing the passer or defending the run as a DE. We always played two DTs, with Dareus and Kyle (while substituting Branch and Charles), and Mario playing the other DE. People mislabeled it a 3-4 only because that's what most fans thought the Jets played. Officially I guess it could be called a 3-4 under. But we had four linemen, with two outside the tackle guys rushing, and two inside guys splitting the guards rushing, virtually every play.

Blows my mind people don't understand this. They understand enough to know that guys we lose = comp pick but they don't know guys we resign doesn't affect anything.

Whaley is waiting for his price to go down to that of a part time player. Spikes thinks he should be compensated as a full time starting Mike. Teams are in a holding mode until after the draft to spend any more significant cap space. It has absolutely nothing to do with our comp pick formula.

This

My guess is that there is a gentleman's agreement that he will be signed - just a question of how much. He doesn't seem to be visiting other teams.

this is how I feel as well.

racist much?

You are seriously telling me you didnt hear about the weed situation... or the domestic violence... or the dui... or the.... oh wait none of that applies to him. This dude calling him a knuckle head thug can take several seats.

Even more simple. When did Rex say it was a 3-4. I remember him saying they were going to run whatever scheme best suited our defense. We havent been a 3-4 since Edwards and that was a tire fire. We will not be a 3-4 under Rex. In a nutshell that is what I have understood.

I can confirm that to be true as I'm in Vegas and have seen things beyond anyone's imagination! I have to believe there must be a huge silicone mine someplace near by.

Spikes tweeted that if you ever want to find a decent girl in your city tonight's the night, because all the hoes are in Vegas. ;)