Good band names

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read famous bands will do that if they want to play a low key gig.

I remember one time when Aerosmith was playing at Stage One (some time around '78-'81), they were billed as Dr Jay Jones and the Interns.

Blue Oyster Cult used to play clubs to test their new material under one of the earlier names: The Soft White Underbelly.

Gyrus

That was our band name in high school. I was looking up names in the Encyclopedia because we wanted something like Lynyrd Skynyrd. My mom doesn't say a word and pulls her medical dictionary off the bookshelf behind her and says "Gyrus". I asked what does it mean. She said "the twisting of the brain." I closed the Encyclopedia and said done and done!

That's actually a pretty cool name, especially coming from a band member's mom - kudos to her!

The band that I'm in now was first formed in early 2009, and we rehearsed for months without picking a name (you know how it is, trying to find a name that everyone in the band actually likes). We play some lyrically dark stuff, and the music is pretty much old-school metal (no subgenre like 'black/death/stoner/etc). After months of trying to come up with something we all liked, our vocalist said 'how about.....Blood For Master'? We all liked it, despite that it's a bit over-the-top. The only ting that kind of sucks about it is that a couple years after we began performing around Austin, a band called Goatwhore released an album called Blood For The Master, so now any google search on us is festooned with Goatwhore links. :death: