Today's Buzzword Quota

• 4 months later...

...and stuff like that.

Serious question: I was instructed in college (20 years ago) to keep your resume to one page. Is that still valid?

(Fortunately for me i am celebrating 15 years with the same company next month, but I still keep my resume polished. Aviation/defense is unpredictable)

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

So, I'm looking at a cover letter and two-page resume, from which I've been able to extract the following buzzwords and phrases:
c-suite

I always wonder where these suites are located. I've been a CFO for 15 years and never been in a suite. Usually just a standard office with a mediocre view.

Well, the resume that I'm looking at now includes "mydeation facilitation", "alphabet project management" and "cross-platform incorporation".

:sick:

I think my daughters just acquired that mission critical skill set in pre-school.

...and stuff like that.

Serious question: I was instructed in college (20 years ago) to keep your resume to one page. Is that still valid?

(Fortunately for me i am celebrating 15 years with the same company next month, but I still keep my resume polished. Aviation/defense is unpredictable)

I was taught no more than two pages. But I find it impossible to keep mine under three. But a large reason for that is that I market myself as a generalist - I've been a PM, architect, requirements analyst, business analyst, lead programmer, tester, CM manager... If I targeted my resume to any one of those, it'd be two pages, easy.

I've received ten page resumes before. I don't think I ever bothered reading one.

Well, the resume that I'm looking at now includes "mydeation facilitation", "alphabet project management" and "cross-platform incorporation".

:sick:

You sure that's not supposed to be Alfabet Portfolio Management? That would be even worse - if you don't even know the trademark and brand of what you claim to have expertise in, you're just full of **** (or you had a recruiter edit your resume without telling you - which I've had done to me.)

Side note: on job interviews, bring multiple copies of your resume, ESPECIALLY if you got the interview through a headhunter or recruiter. It's not uncommon for a recruiter to tell you "I just have to put your resume in our company's format," but actually mean "I have to add lies and falsehoods to your resume to fit this position my highest-paying client wants me to fill." It's not frequent, but it's often enough that I've never seen someone surprised that I give them a copy of my resume that I know is accurate.