Antonio Brown.... Jason Peters..how will Steelers Handle

plenzmd1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't there a lot of teams out there that have had great success with mediocre to average LTs? A great WR can break open a game (see the Megatrons, Fitzgeralds , AJ Greens of the world) . You can't say the same about an LT.

Would you say that any of those 3 teams have had "great" success? I wouldn't I think some or most of that falls on having mediocre to average QB play too, however.

Would you say that any of those 3 teams have had "great" success? I wouldn't I think some or most of that falls on having mediocre to average QB play too, however.

ultimately, beyond a franchise qb, theres no other singular recipe for success

It is hard to believe that we still talk about this guy in Buffalo. He is long gone.

Only reason I brought him up is it is the a very similar situation. Signed a long term deal in good faith, was given an amount of guaranteed money that he deemed worth the downside of being signed long term , and now halfway in wants out. There may be other examples out there, but I know the Peters example as we lived it.

I think it will interesting to watch how it plays out as opposed to how the Peters thing played out is all.

Only reason I brought him up is it is the a very similar situation. Signed a long term deal in good faith, was given an amount of guaranteed money that he deemed worth the downside of being signed long term , and now halfway in wants out. There may be other examples out there, but I know the Peters example as we lived it.

I think it will interesting to watch how it plays out as opposed to how the Peters thing played out is all.

Problem with the comparison is that peters switched to a more premium position and then became an all pro. Brown would have to beat out Big Ben to make the same argument. This is way more out of line for a player getting paid close to market value

Although most of that I agree with, and there is no question that Peters showed up out of shape at the beginning of the season, the contrasting viewpoint is that it and he didn't hurt them at all. They started the season with four straight wins while he worked himself into shape.

He didn't have a completely great year but he was still a great player, and we should have signed him to the 10m a year deal, which would have kept him in Buffalo and happy in Buffalo, which he never hated contrary to some people's opinions. It was all about money and respect. He wanted to be paid what he was worth, and he clearly was worth 10m a season.

That is true. Overall, he had a solid season that year, but he wasn't as great as he was before then or after he joined the Eagles, where he solidified his status as the best LT of his generation.

It is hard to believe that we still talk about this guy in Buffalo. He is long gone.

This is a discussion board, and Peters is the greatest homegrown player (with apologies to Lynch) of this millennium. He's certainly worthy of discussion, especially considering that a lot of longtime posters care about Bills history and the long term consequences of poor decisions by management.

Problem with the comparison is that peters switched to a more premium position and then became an all pro. Brown would have to beat out Big Ben to make the same argument. This is way more out of line for a player getting paid close to market value

Again, I could be wrong. But I thought he received a new contract when he became starter at RT, and then another one when he became LT. I will research.

Hard to fault Brown here. He has significantly outplayed his contact.

The NFL Players Association got the renegotiating of contracts right in their CBA.

The NBAPA messed up theirs. Renegotiation isn't allowed. Steph Curry just had a MVP season and he's the 4th highest paid player on the Golden State Warriors. It works against the teams, too, as when a player is injured or not good enough anymore, they're stuck with his contract. At least the NFL can cut their arses and only are stuck with a pro-rated bonus. Or threaten to waive a player to get them to renegotiate down.

Again, I could be wrong. But I thought he received a new contract when he became starter at RT, and then another one when he became LT. I will research.

To be blunt, but not with ill intent, I'm pretty sure your wrong.

JP got a 5 year 15m deal at RT, halfway through the next season he was swapped to LT and got a lot of attention as a hot up and comer. In his first full season he was receiving awards. We did not give him an extension as an all pro LT. That was the entire issue. We gave him a long deal as a middle of the pack RT and he near immediately (like 7 weeks into the 5 year deal) was moved and dominated.

Edited by NoSaint

Although most of that I agree with, and there is no question that Peters showed up out of shape at the beginning of the season, the contrasting viewpoint is that it and he didn't hurt them at all. They started the season with four straight wins while he worked himself into shape.

He didn't have a completely great year but he was still a great player, and we should have signed him to the 10m a year deal, which would have kept him in Buffalo and happy in Buffalo, which he never hated contrary to some people's opinions. It was all about money and respect. He wanted to be paid what he was worth, and he clearly was worth 10m a season.

didn't he have some sort of sport hernia surgery and never told the Bills how he was doing or if he was rehabbing...I'm thinking he was injured that last offseason before he was traded.

To be blunt, but not with ill intent, I'm pretty sure your wrong.

JP got a 5 year 15m deal at RT, halfway through the next season he was swapped to LT and got a lot of attention as a hot up and comer. In his first full season he was receiving awards. We did not give him an extension as an all pro LT. That was the entire issue. We gave him a long deal as a middle of the pack RT and he near immediately (like 7 weeks into the 5 year deal) was moved and dominated.

You are correct.

I also did not remember he was cut then put on practice squad.

Edited by plenzmd1

http://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Here is a link to WR compensation numbers. Difficult for me to fault him for wanting to be paid equally to WRs he has outperformed. If he'd significantly underperformed his deal you can bet the Steelers would be telling him he needed to take a pay cut if he didn't want to be cut.

Edited by BarleyNY

Brown is amazing. Football players should get every penny they can possibly get. He just needs to be a professional about it. He can't not answer the team's phone calls and should up fat and out of shape for the season.

I agree they should get every penny possible at contract time, and if that means leaving in Free Agency, i 100% understand that. If that means not playing under the Franchise tag, i 100% get that.

But, Brown signed a contract with a $ number up front that he and his agent felt was fair . TO get that bonus, he agreed to be under contract for 6 years. He was not a rookie on a bad deal, nor was he tagged or forced to sign that in any way.

again, I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out. From a selfish standpoint , I don't want him holding out of TC and then reporting, as the Steelers are already without Bell for the game vs the Pats.

I agree they should get every penny possible at contract time, and if that means leaving in Free Agency, i 100% understand that. If that means not playing under the Franchise tag, i 100% get that.

But, Brown signed a contract with a $ number up front that he and his agent felt was fair . TO get that bonus, he agreed to be under contract for 6 years. He was not a rookie on a bad deal, nor was he tagged or forced to sign that in any way.

again, I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out. From a selfish standpoint , I don't want him holding out of TC and then reporting, as the Steelers are already without Bell for the game vs the Pats.

i think it was thomas jones (RB jets, chiefs, etc...) that had an incident years ago -- did a big signing bonus deal, and then had a low year 2 salary (reasonable people would realize you have to look at a long term average)... but he held out, citing his salary as too low, and ignoring his huge bonus 12 months earlier. i dont recall how it played out, honestly, but remember thinking it was totally unreasonable at the time. Edited by NoSaint

I understand that point of view. But as someone said earlier, if a player underperforms their contract, they will be asked to take a pay cut or be cut. The NFL is about as dirty of a business as there is. Brown has leverage because some could argue he is the best receiver in the NFL. I don't think he is because of his size but he is impossilbe to cover and has put up the stats.

Until the NFL gets guaranteed contracts, I will always support the player vs. the team.