Strike one, she's out

Just Jack

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-gameday-cubs-pirates-spt-0421-20150420-story.html

there was another 23-minute delay in the top of the second inning after a fan was struck in the back of her head by a foul ball while walking to her front row seat. The fan was carried off on a stretcher and gave a thumbs up sign to fans in the area

her fault IMO. She should of been paying attention. I had front row tickets at Comiskey with our feet literally on the 3rd base side field. I warned everyone I was with to keep their head up, especially when Sheffield was at the plate. Same goes at a hockey game. Pay attention or its your own damn fault

her fault IMO. She should of been paying attention. I had front row tickets at Comiskey with our feet literally on the 3rd base side field. I warned everyone I was with to keep their head up, especially when Sheffield was at the plate. Same goes at a hockey game. Pay attention or its your own damn fault

What?!?

How is the netting not set up to prevent this?

What?!?

exactly

Sorry Pete, gotta agree. This wasn't along the baseline it was directly behind the plate and the netting "should" have protected her.

Netting is made to give way, otherwise it would rocket back into the playing field on a ball like that. She should have been paying attention, yes, but one would reasonably assume that the netting would protect them. This is 100% the ushers fault. He should not have allowed those women to walk so close to the netting during play. I mean, he was standing right there.

Edited by Mark80

Netting is made to give way, otherwise it would rocket back into the playing field on a ball like that. She should have been paying attention, yes, but one would reasonably assume that the netting would protect them. This is 100% the ushers fault. He should not have allowed those women to walk so close to the netting during play. I mean, he was standing right there.

Some people are unfamiliar with physics so thank you for explaining it to them.

What?!?

One of the rustic charms of American baseball is the close proximity of the fans to the field. It gives you the sense that you're a part of the game, and that image is carefully cultivated. If you've ever gone to a game in Japan, they have netting which nearly completely divides the fan from the game, and the ballpark experience is lessened because of it.

That's why the seats and walkway shouldn't be that close to the net.

Sorry Pete, gotta agree. This wasn't along the baseline it was directly behind the plate and the netting "should" have protected her.

sure there should be netting. But you never turn your back to the play when you are directly behind home plate. Always be aware of your surroundings

Latest news is that she's okay.

And the ball hit her so hard, the on-deck batter - who heard but didn't see it - thought it hit the wall.

Good thing it didn't hit the wall "otherwise it would rocket back into the playing field on a ball like that."

Good thing it didn't hit the wall "otherwise it would rocket back into the playing field on a ball like that."

If you watch the ball in the video, it comes back into the field of play a good distance just off her head.

Netting is made to absorb energy, not "give way." You want a set-up that generates a largely inelastic collision, where the kinetic energy after collision is substantially less than the energy before collision. That's what prevents the ball recoiling back on to the field at high speed.

That ball hitting that net wasn't an inelastic collision as much as it was no collision at all. The net absorbed almost none of the energy of the ball.

This thread is a an exact duplicate of all threads on TBD.

Step1) Someone posts a story about something tragic

Step2) A few posts about how tragic it actually is

Step3) Now comes the posts about physics or laws that the person should have been aware of

Step4) Victim is now BBQ'd as being a dumbass

Step5) Counter flood to those BBQ'ing

Step6) A raging debate of put downs for each side ensues

Step7) Rinse and repeat

There was a movie I saw recently about the repetition of patterns in the world that made me see this pattern.

Intermission is over now return to your war mongering hate flinging ways.

Carry on.

Some people call the repetition of the same behavior expecting different results insanity. You decide.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

This thread is a an exact duplicate of all threads on TBD.

Step1) Someone posts a story about something tragic

Step2) A few posts about how tragic it actually is

Step3) Now comes the posts about physics or laws that the person should have been aware of

Step4) Victim is now BBQ'd as being a dumbass

Step5) Counter flood to those BBQ'ing

Step6) A raging debate of put downs for each side ensues

Step7) Rinse and repeat

There was a movie I saw recently about the repetition of patterns in the world that made me see this pattern.

Intermission is over now return to your war mongering hate flinging ways.

Carry on.

Some people call the repetition of the same behavior expecting different results insanity. You decide.

You're only NOW discovering this pattern? :lol: