Bills annual Draft Luncheon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@JaySkurski: Fisher on Garrett Grayson: "I thinks he's a good, solid QB, but it's going to take some time." Says he'll probably start career as a backup.

@JaySkurski: Whaley calls drafting a QB "a definite possibility."

@viccarucci: Whaley on not a whole lot separating the QBs in the draft: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

@JaySkurski: Kelvin Fisher, the #Bills' Dir. of College Scouting, says he looks at second- and third-round picks as starters in year one.

@JaySkurski: Doug Whaley says the #Bills are in a position to select the best player available.

@JaySkurski: Doug Whaley says the draft process is more exciting without a first-round draft pick. That's a perfect answer for this game of charades.

@viccarucci: Whaley: Going to set up board with demarcation line that could allow #Bills to trade back into 1st rd. But unlikely w lack of ammunition.

@mikerodak: Whaley says his personnel department watches/reads all of the pre-draft news conferences to try to pick up tidbits.

@SalSports: Whaley says the $$ they gave Charles Clay, and the fact he will be a 3-down TE does not impact/effect if/when they may take a TE in draft

@SalSports: Whaley also said Greg Roman likes to use multiple TEs and might even have 4 active on a game day. #Bills

@JaySkurski: Fisher says he still feels like Cyrus Kouandjio can start in the NFL.

@SalSports: GM Whaley says because the way NFL is played now, teams do have a tendency to reach and overdraft CBs (panic to cover all those WRs) #Bills

@JoeBuscaglia: This press conference isn't over, but there have been 2 notable times where something was said & I thought to myself "That aint good for EJ"

---guessing this is one of those--

@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills Jim Monos: When QB mechanics are trying to be fixed in offseason, we always go back to the tape. Guys are who they are.

@ChrisBrownBills: Whaley: Fine tuning of draft board starts Tues. - about top 250 accounted for Meetings w/coaches for input based on film review - #Bills

@SalSports: Bills GM Doug Whaley on possibility of opening at NE on Thursday night: "As Rex has been telling the team, It's about us, not who we play."

Edited by YoloinOhio

Smoke imo

@mikerodak: Doug Whaley says Bills are more likely to move back, not up, from No. 50: http://t.co/dgUjlUeZzz

I don't think it's smoke really. We wouldn't move up unless a lot of players we expected to get to 50 started going, and if there are multiple options we would be happy with at 50 I could see us trading back a few spots (still in rd2) to pick up a 3rd or 4th and still land a player we'd be happy with. Then again I think the most likely situation is we don't move from 50 at all haha

Not to make this into an EJ thread, although they all are. But there are two extremely distinct schools of thought when it comes to quarterback mechanics, and fans as well as reporters often interchange them when they shouldn't. IMO, Joe B just did there.

Quarterbacks with mechanics problems fall into one or two categories (although some fall into both):

1] Guys with crappy mechanics, release, footwork, etc., like Fitz, Tebow, and numerous others.

2] Guys with good mechanics but those mechanics just happen to break down far too quickly and/or too often, so they throw far too many passes with bad mechanics. EJ falls into this category.

They are totally different problems, although they often have similar results.

It's much, much easier to fix 2] than it is 1].

I don't think Manos was talking about the 2] kind of guys like EJ, he was talking about the 1] kind of guy.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Not to make this into an EJ thread, although they all are. But there are two extremely distinct schools of thought when it comes to quarterback mechanics, and fans as well as reporters often interchange them when they shouldn't. IMO, Joe B just did there.

Quarterbacks with mechanics problems fall into one or two categories (although some fall into both):

1] Guys with crappy mechanics, release, footwork, etc., like Fitz, Tebow, and numerous others.

2] Guys with good mechanics but those mechanics just happen to break down far too quickly and/or too often, so they throw far too many passes with bad mechanics. EJ falls into this category.

They are totally different problems, although they often have similar results.

It's much, much easier to fix 2] than it is 1].

I don't think Manos was talking about the 2] kind of guys like EJ, he was talking about the 1] kind of guy.

What is the difference between having good mechanics that turn bad all the time, and having bad mechanics?

I don't think it's smoke really. We wouldn't move up unless a lot of players we expected to get to 50 started going, and if there are multiple options we would be happy with at 50 I could see us trading back a few spots (still in rd2) to pick up a 3rd or 4th and still land a player we'd be happy with. Then again I think the most likely situation is we don't move from 50 at all haha

true - I agree that moving down a couple spots to pick up a 4th, if they think their guy will still be there when they pick - would be the most I could see. Can't see him moving down just to pick up more later picks. Makes no sense base on their situation. They need a starter in the 2nd and the higher the better. Edited by YoloinOhio

true - I agree that moving down a couple spots to pick up a 4th, if they think their guy will still be there when they pick - would be the most I could see. Can't see him moving down just to pick up more later picks. Makes no sense base on their situation. They need a starter in the 2nd and the higher the better.

Been testing this thought process on fanspeak and I like the results so far. So far a couple options that consistently worked out for our 2-18 pick are:

Arizona (2-23 and 4-24)

Pittsburgh (2-24 and 4-22)

Carolina (2-25 and 4-25)

And in many of those situations I was also able to deal the newly acquired 4th rounder with one of our 6th to move into the middle of the 4th instead of the bottom 3rd. I'd have to check the pick value chart to see if I'm getting raked over the coals, but I like the results I see with who's on the board. There is pretty good talent to be had through the middle of the 4th IMO

EDIT: After looking at trade value charts some interesting options come up. The following are acceptably equivalent as far as pick value goes. Whether there are takers or not is always the question.

Bills pick 2-18 (400) for Arizona picks 2-23 and 4-24 (404 total)

Bills pick 2-18 (400) for Pittsburgh picks 2-24 and 4-22 (398 total)

Bills picks 2-18 and 5-19 (432.6 total) for Dallas picks 2-28 and 3-27 (436 total)

Bills picks 2-18, 6-12 and 6-18 (443.2 total) for Denver picks 2-27 and 3-28 (442 total)

Bills picks 2-18 and 6-18 (420.2 total) for Indy picks 2-29 and 3-29 (418 total)

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

@JaySkurski: Fisher on Garrett Grayson: "I thinks he's a good, solid QB, but it's going to take some time." Says he'll probably start career as a backup.

@JaySkurski: Whaley calls drafting a QB "a definite possibility."

@viccarucci: Whaley on not a whole lot separating the QBs in the draft: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

@JaySkurski: Kelvin Fisher, the #Bills' Dir. of College Scouting, says he looks at second- and third-round picks as starters in year one.

@JaySkurski: Doug Whaley says the #Bills are in a position to select the best player available.

@JaySkurski: Doug Whaley says the draft process is more exciting without a first-round draft pick. That's a perfect answer for this game of charades.

@viccarucci: Whaley: Going to set up board with demarcation line that could allow #Bills to trade back into 1st rd. But unlikely w lack of ammunition.

@mikerodak: Whaley says his personnel department watches/reads all of the pre-draft news conferences to try to pick up tidbits.

@SalSports: Whaley says the $$ they gave Charles Clay, and the fact he will be a 3-down TE does not impact/effect if/when they may take a TE in draft

@SalSports: Whaley also said Greg Roman likes to use multiple TEs and might even have 4 active on a game day. #Bills

@JaySkurski: Fisher says he still feels like Cyrus Kouandjio can start in the NFL.

@SalSports: GM Whaley says because the way NFL is played now, teams do have a tendency to reach and overdraft CBs (panic to cover all those WRs) #Bills

@JoeBuscaglia: This press conference isn't over, but there have been 2 notable times where something was said & I thought to myself "That aint good for EJ"

---guessing this is one of those--

@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills Jim Monos: When QB mechanics are trying to be fixed in offseason, we always go back to the tape. Guys are who they are.

@ChrisBrownBills: Whaley: Fine tuning of draft board starts Tues. - about top 250 accounted for Meetings w/coaches for input based on film review - #Bills

@SalSports: Bills GM Doug Whaley on possibility of opening at NE on Thursday night: "As Rex has been telling the team, It's about us, not who we play."

And it's not that I disagree on Jim Monos' statement about QB mechanics, but my question is: if that's how the TEAM truly feels, then why Draft a QB with poor mechanics and the idea they can "fix" him to be their QB of the future??

Guys with the former throw tons of passes with good mechanics, guys with the latter rarely if ever do.

So they throw "tons of passes with good mechanics" and, at the same time, "throw far too many passes with bad mechanics...too often"? Both can't be true, as FireChan pointed out.

And has anyone previously commented that EJ has, at baseline, "good mechanics"? I've only read the opposite ("footwork", as you say, in particular...).

When was that tweet dated?!

oh snap

@mikerodak: For the second time this offseason, Doug Whaley conspicuously avoids labeling EJ Manuel as the franchise QB: http://t.co/RnsjB3w4LV

@mikerodak: Whaley, Feb. 19: "We don't have a marquee QB. Everybody knows that.

Whaley, today: We dont have a proven franchise QB. Thats obvious."

Not helping his trade value, eh rodak?