All-22 on Stephon Gilmore, "lockdown CB"

http://buf.scout.com/story/1538821-all-22-stephon-gilmore-lockdown-cornerback?s=24

"How good was Gilmore in 2014? The analytics site, Pro Football Focus, gave Gilmore a positive rating from Week 8 to the end of Gilmore's season in Week 16. Even Gilmores negative ratings weren't bad. Of Gilmore's six negative ratings, five were between -0.2 and -0.9 (0.0 is considered average)."

Edited by YoloinOhio

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Gilmore's an excellent player.

That GB game was the best performance by a Bills' CB that I can remember.

This will ruffle some feathers: I think that many of the folks that criticize him simply don't know what they're watching with regard to DB play and responsibilities.

This will ruffle some feathers: I think that many of the folks that criticize him simply don't know what they're watching with regard to DB play and responsibilities.

These are the people who need members of the national media to be on the Stephon Gilmore bandwagon in order to start parroting that he's a shut down corner. For instance, they don't know why Revis is so good, they only know that everyone says he's the best, so it must be true. Gilmore has flown under the radar (understandably) as a Bill, so he doesn't really get the recognition. Say we have an awesome 2015 and we win the AFC East in convincing fashion, all of a sudden guys like Gilmore will start getting national recognition.

the fact that Rodgers threw his way 8 times in the first half, and then none in the 2nd half (after presumably making halftime adjustments) says it all.

In my view Gilmore is on the verge of being an elite CB. If he doesn't attain that lofty category at the minimum he will be at the doorstep of the caliber of player all GMs covet.

I never understood the reluctance to embrace his talents. Even when receivers make plays on him he is usually around the ball. He played with a broken wrist and played with a cast, essentially playing with one hand. He still played well under the circumstances.

There are some people who down-graded the importance of the position. That never made much sense to me in a game where the rules favor the passing game. Under defensive inhibiting rules you need even more talented CBs to slow down the production of the advantaged passing game.

There is hope that there is a changing attitude toward CBs. If NYC Bill can belatedly and reluctantly become less of a critic of Gilmore then anyone can change their perspective towards that critical and most challenging position.

Edited by JohnC

Part of any negative impression about Gilmore may go back to the poor decision to allow him to play with that club on his hand. Can't blame him for being willing to try to play hurt. Didn't we have a PS player or maybe a ball boy who might have been more effective than Gilmore with one hand? I thought he played pretty well last year. Every CB loses some battles. I still have bad dreams about him waving that club around, though.

Part of any negative impression about Gilmore may go back to the poor decision to allow him to play with that club on his hand. Can't blame him for being willing to try to play hurt. Didn't we have a PS player or maybe a ball boy who might have been more effective than Gilmore with one hand? I thought he played pretty well last year. Every CB loses some battles. I still have bad dreams about him waving that club around, though.

i assume it was Marrone's decision. Go figure.

100% :beer: Edited by GreggyT

It was a club on his hand... Players play like that.

Really limits how physical you can be.

And it allowed OCs to run plays that took advantage of his ability to cover but not tackle. Jay gruden showed that by running screen play after screen play to AJ green in the 1st half of the Cincy game and totally schooling Pettine.

i assume it was Marrone's decision. Go figure.

Remember how bad the secondary was at the beginning of 2013? Gilmore with a club was way better then Justin Rodgers. I also believe that McKelvin was also hurt early. So I do not blame this on Marrone, but just the thinness of our secondary early.

Remember how bad the secondary was at the beginning of 2013? Gilmore with a club was way better then Justin Rodgers. I also believe that McKelvin was also hurt early. So I do not blame this on Marrone, but just the thinness of our secondary early.

our secondary was thin, but Club Gilmore needed help if he was going to be hung out to dry to tackle AJ green in space with one arm.

Gilmore is up and down. Yes, the GB game was pretty good. Others, maybe avg at best. Still, he doesn't look like the shutdown corner we all expected out of college. Learning curve is long for CB's, and gilmore is coming up on his prime. He may yet get there, but he certainly has not lived up to his hype yet. The Bills have been desperate to sell him as a shutdown....he just hasn't done it yet.

Gilmore is up and down. Yes, the GB game was pretty good. Others, maybe avg at best. Still, he doesn't look like the shutdown corner we all expected out of college. Learning curve is long for CB's, and gilmore is coming up on his prime. He may yet get there, but he certainly has not lived up to his hype yet. The Bills have been desperate to sell him as a shutdown....he just hasn't done it yet.

You should treat yourself to rewatching the last six games of the year. He was every bit the shutdown corner we hoped. He was stellar down the stretch.

You should treat yourself to rewatching the last six games of the year. He was every bit the shutdown corner we hoped. He was stellar down the stretch.

I think it's 1 part not seeing how good Gilmore is and 1 part not realizing that shutdown corners actually give up catches too.