Scott Chandler gets weepy over leaving Bills

Chandler is a nice guy. He just isn't a good football player. He is extremely limited and as Kelly has pointed out he doesn't fit in the offense. I wish him well because he is such a good guy. He just isn't the kind of talent that plays an important role on good teams. I have no idea what his future holds as a player but hopefully he is on a roster (other than the Pats).

As you stated there are limitations to Chandler's game. On the other hand there are strengths to his game. He has tremendous hands and he gets open.Even when defenses know that he is the secondary receiver on most pass plays he has an uncanny ability to still get very open. You don't think that those assets will be utilized by one of the most accurate passers in the game who has demonstrated a tendency to utilize his TEs?

Chandler is a very earnest blocker who is better screening the player he is blocking than moving him. Maybe the fairest way of viewing him is not as a conventional TE with receiving and blocking responsibilities but viewing him as an in-line big receiver who gets open and catches the ball.

Small deals that make you a little better are smart and good deals.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Chandler will be missed he had some really good moments. MarQuese Grey looked pretty good last year. Jackson is the 2nd best all around RB on the Bills.

He was an odd player. Sometimes he looked like a big, uncoordinated oaf and other times he looked like he had all world talent. Some catches he made were incredibly difficult and he showed foot control that was crazy good for a man that big. Just not consistent.

The guy was anti clutch!!! Just like Stevie!!

I don't think the Vikings feel this way ...

As you stated there are limitations to Chandler's game. On the other hand there are strengths to his game. He has tremendous hands and he gets open.Even when defenses know that he is the secondary receiver on most pass plays he has an uncanny ability to still get very open. You don't think that those assets will be utilized by one of the most accurate passers in the game who has demonstrated a tendency to utilize his TEs?

Chandler is a very earnest blocker who is better screening the player he is blocking than moving him. Maybe the fairest way of viewing him is not as a conventional TE with receiving and blocking responsibilities but viewing him as an in-line big receiver who gets open and catches the ball.

Good take

the "no name" late round pick, if that is indeed the route they take - we have no idea in April - could reasonably be a better option than Chandler. A guy like Blake bell or Jeff Heuerman or Nick o'leary already is a better blocker with better hands and more athleticism. All are younger, cheaper, with more upside. Imo. Chandler's cap space allowed the resignings of easley and Wynn. It's good roster management imo.

Didn't the Bills sign some Canisius basketball player to be the next Gates .

Edited by plenzmd1

I didn't understand the cut at the time. The only thing I can think of is the phrase "good is the enemy of great".

I think Roman must not like what he saw on film. Chandler is OK to good but not great IMO. He runs high-50s to low 60s in the catch percentage. He doesn't seem to play up to his size - jump or reach for balls placed where his height should let him compete for them, relatively easy to bring down after the first contact. He's competent chipping, but he's not feared as a blocker because, nothing to fear.

Hopefully they will bring in someone potentially better through the draft

Chandler on his best day was good.....not good enough. He's a back up. Good guy? sure.....move on.

I wish him well. The fact he's with the Pats at it doesn't bother me tells me something. Nothing to worry about.

He doesn't fit with what they want to do moving forward.

An extremely limited player that was extremely likeable.

Except he doesn't have "tremendous hands", they're mediocre at best (and that's the real definition of mediocre). You oversell his ability to get open as well, he doesn't move well and is only appearing wide open because he's a giant 6'7. Truth is for a man that big his athleticism and hands are suspect, not tremendous.

Who goes if Clay can't?

If Roman is half the coach that people say he is, he could've found a way for Scott to be productive.

Big Sammy is a poor man's version of Clay, so he seems like a natural fit to take his place if he can't go. Chandler wouldn't have been ideal to back up Clay due to how he will be used.

Except he doesn't have "tremendous hands", they're mediocre at best (and that's the real definition of mediocre). You oversell his ability to get open as well, he doesn't move well and is only appearing wide open because he's a giant 6'7. Truth is for a man that big his athleticism and hands are suspect, not tremendous.

Teams also let him get the ball. Last year when Hogan and Chandler combined for 7 catches they were like 1-6 (only win was the Vikings & that may have been their worst performance of the season). You scheme to take away the guys that can hurt you (ie roll coverage to Watkins). It's like taking away Harden & letting Patrick Patterson fire away.

Chandler's numbers are better than Chandler the player. We will see that this year with Clay. The Bills have never had a TE so we think that guys like Chandler are good because we measure him against Derek Fine, Tim Euhus and Shawn Nelson.

Yeah I don't understand cutting Chandler. He was an average player and would have been a solid #2.

I would much rather have gotten rid of Fred Jackson or Chris Williams and kept Chandler.

It is going to hurt when Fred gets cut in training camp and there is no good #2 TE on the team.

Watch it,you said the Fred word..ha,ha,ha.

I think the influence of Rex has resulting in front office looking for flash not value. Doing trades before start of free agency is flash; waiting until market is picked of over ripe fruit is picked is value. The Bills have tried this before to upgrade line and then were in cap hell. I think they overspent and cut Chandler to increase amount of cap space available.

Manhertz hasn't played organized football, but he apparently decided while still in college he wanted to try to play TE in the NFL and began training for that as soon as his college Bball career ended. He said he had been told frequently that he should play football. Should be an intriguing project to watch.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think the influence of Rex has resulting in front office looking for flash not value. Doing trades before start of free agency is flash; waiting until market is picked of over ripe fruit is picked is value. The Bills have tried this before to upgrade line and then were in cap hell. I think they overspent and cut Chandler to increase amount of cap space available.

I could just be thick, I don't understand your intended point. Are you saying McCoy and Cassel don't add value that they couldn't easily pick up in the late FA market? I can't quite agree with you there.

I also can't think of a recent time when the Bills were in "cap hell" but maybe I'm missing something?

Edited by Hopeful

What you don't mention is that the qbs throwing to him during his stint with the Bills were in general inaccurate. His getting open has little to do with his quickless, which he doesn't possess, but his ability to react to plays as it develops and get to the open spaces. Being a target because of his size is another way of saying that he is taking advantage of his height. That isn't something to scoff at; it is an attribute that should be exploited.

No one is suggesting that he is a high end starting tight end. What I and others are saying that although he has limitations he also has assets that can be better utilized in a system where the qb is accuarate and there are more two TEs sets, as it exists with the Pats.

Fred is the number two RB and a great leader on the team. He will be an asset this year. Chandler- loved the interview with his wife. Him- not so much. He always seemed to fall over when touched. Missed too many balls and had a poor after catch ratio. Surprised we didn't trade him for a draft choice.

Fred is the number two RB and a great leader on the team. He will be an asset this year. Chandler- loved the interview with his wife. Him- not so much. He always seemed to fall over when touched. Missed too many balls and had a poor after catch ratio. Surprised we didn't trade him for a draft choice.

Did people forget last year he got no offers from FA? He is a camp body for the Patriots no one would give up a draft choice for a camp body.