Last Play of the Super Bowl question

It was questioned by a friend, McNabb throws interception, Pats defensive back runs forward and then slides feet first, there is 3 seconds on the clock, he (db) gets up and is surrounded by other Pats player. The question is did a Eagle player touch the db, is the play over because he slide feet first (I thought only QB's feet first slide ended the play), or is it still a live ball (3 sec. left) and the Eagles could have picked the ball up and ran it back for a TD?????

This was brought up yesterday, and from what I remember it was determined that a player CAN give themselves up and end the play (if I recall, that happened on a Monday night game last year). This is usually done to call a timeout quickly.

However, regardless of what the real rule is, it was stated that the whistle had blown when the guy went down so the play is dead.

Not sure why the clock kept going, but hey.

CW

Yes, as we said yesterday, any player can give themselves up on a play by kneeling or sliding, and they play is dead.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why the clock kept running. It shouldn't have, since the play result was a turnover.