Advice

Not sure how multiple people could miss the point this badly: you cannot control your circumstances, but you can control your choices, and your choices are what determines your position in life, not your circumstances.

Since it's Jim Stovall's quote, then I'd say that if you disagree, feel free to write him an email (he answers them all personally) and let him know (but you may want to read up on his life story first).

One of course I get the point.

Two. Little kids dont get choices. They get ordered around most of the time.

Three. The choices kids or "the immature" make will not always be the correct ones because of the lack of experience. Circumstances, lack of experience, and the inability to control things that are BEYOND our control exposes flaws in the saying.

It's not a perfect saying.

Some stuff are beyond our control.

So, if you stood in front of a fan with your buddy and he threw a cup of pee at the fan and it blew back and hit both of you would you be pissed at him or take it in stride and say you got pissed on and that was a bad idea to stand next to him?

Bandit is going to say that you made a decision to have dumb pee throwing friends.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of course I get the point.

Two. Little kids dont get choices. They get ordered around most of the time.

Three. The choices kids or "the immature" make will not always be the correct ones because of the lack of experience. Circumstances, lack of experience, and the inability to control things that are BEYOND our control exposes flaws in the saying.

It's not a perfect saying.

Some stuff are beyond our control.

Bandit is going to say that you made a decision to have dumb pee throwing friends.

I'm not going to debate the merits of the quote with you. If you have a bone to pick with it, email the author and let him know.

In the meantime I'll move right on believing that I'm responsible for my life.

Not sure how multiple people could miss the point this badly: you cannot control your circumstances, but you can control your choices, and your choices are what determines your position in life, not your circumstances.

Since it's Jim Stovall's quote, then I'd say that if you disagree, feel free to write him an email (he answers them all personally) and let him know (but you may want to read up on his life story first).

You can make choices but you can't perfectly control outcomes. Also the choices that are yours to make are often dictated by circumstances beyond your control. There is unavoidable randomness to the universe. Your level of will power doesn't overcome that.

You can make choices but you can't perfectly control outcomes. Also the choices that are yours to make are often dictated by circumstances beyond your control. There is unavoidable randomness to the universe. Your level of will power doesn't overcome that.

Oh man. The majority of the choices you make, the ones that affect you the most are the ones you control. Of course you can't perfectly control outcomes but you can steer them to best benefit you. That's like someone putting all their retirement money in one stock and lose it all because that company goes belly up. Did they have any control over the success or failure of that company? Of course not however it was their choice to put all their eggs in one basket with regard to their retirement. That is just one of hundreds if not thousands of decisions people make over the course of their lifetime that have a direct effect on the quality of their lives.

So, if you stood in front of a fan with your buddy and he threw a cup of pee at the fan and it blew back and hit both of you would you be pissed at him or take it in stride and say you got pissed on and that was a bad idea to stand next to him?

Why would you stand next to a guy with a cup of pee, let alone near a fan?

I'm not going to debate the merits of the quote with you. If you have a bone to pick with it, email the author and let him know.

In the meantime I'll move right on believing that I'm responsible for my life.

Yes, you're responsible for the things and choices you can control.

Like knowing you dont have a valid response and choosing to move on. That' a good choice that you controlled.

Very good Bandit27

Back to advice.

Have sex

Why would you stand next to a guy with a cup of pee, let alone near a fan?

Maybe you thought it was tea.

Yes, you're responsible for the things and choices you can control.

Like knowing you dont have a valid response and choosing to move on. That' a good choice that you controlled.

Very good Bandit27

Back to advice.

Have sex

Maybe you thought it was tea.

Ok, back to advice: grow up

Do you guys see what I mean?

Do you guys see what Im dealing with here?

I cannot control my height. I passed puberty already.

Back to advice:

Dont lose internet arguments

1) There's no such thing as losing an internet argument.

2) You are the one that decided (and yes, it was a choice) to wildly and purposefully miss the point of a very simple quote containing a very useful principle.

3) Not a single thing that you've listed has any bearing on where you are in life, which is the original point (not that I think you care; at this point it's entirely obvious that your being obtuse for amusement--I get it; it can be fun).

Last comment in this thread (if you want to continue, feel free to PM): go back, read the quote again, and do a bit of research on the person who said it...it may change your opinion.