Abortion

I can't bring myself to watch it, don't care if it shows or just describes it. I think there are legitimate reasons to have clinically safe abortion available, but the thought of 20 weeks makes we wonder what the !@#$ was the pregnant woman waiting for.

I probably should have put this in the GOP thread and not the abortion thread, because my reason for posting it was not about abortion, but about how Fiorina shut down the SoProg lies told about her and the video. I couldn't believe how many talking heads were accusing her of lying when ANYONE who watched the videos knew what she was talking about.

But then you start thinking about SoProg sheep and you realize they didn't watch the video because they don't really have to form an opinion on things: they just repeat what they're told to write or say.

Edited by LABillzFan

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's psychopathic if it is true... But what other reason could there be to wait that long? When do they do the test for Downs?

Anywhere between 10 and 22 weeks, depending on the test. Reliable diagnostic testing (e.g. an amnio) can be done at 15 weeks, anything earlier is usually considered "screening."

Anywhere between 10 and 22 weeks, depending on the test. Reliable diagnostic testing (e.g. an amnio) can be done at 15 weeks, anything earlier is usually considered "screening."

Ok this is helpful with regard to the 20 week thing but what percentage of babies are actually born with Downs? I know, I know "look it up yourself Sue!"

Ok this is helpful with regard to the 20 week thing but what percentage of babies are actually born with Downs? I know, I know "look it up yourself Sue!"

Not as many as used to be, but that's because there's screening and testing available, and parents are more likely nowadays to choose abortion than in the past.

And the test they do at 20+ weeks is particularly risky (risk of miscarriage), so they don't do it unless multiple earlier tests are inconclusive. I don't know, but I doubt many 20+ week abortions would be due to a Downs' diagnosis, since a 20+ week Downs pregnancy would either represent a rare "we didn't catch it earlier" situation or an earlier decision to carry to term.

(My sister and sister-in-law were both at an age when they had their second kids where Downs was a risk. Plus, I have an uncle with Downs - just diagnosed last week with Alzheimer's, a common outcome of Downs. So I tend to know more about it than I should.)

Not as many as used to be, but that's because there's screening and testing available, and parents are more likely nowadays to choose abortion than in the past.

And the test they do at 20+ weeks is particularly risky (risk of miscarriage), so they don't do it unless multiple earlier tests are inconclusive. I don't know, but I doubt many 20+ week abortions would be due to a Downs' diagnosis, since a 20+ week Downs pregnancy would either represent a rare "we didn't catch it earlier" situation or an earlier decision to carry to term.

(My sister and sister-in-law were both at an age when they had their second kids where Downs was a risk. Plus, I have an uncle with Downs - just diagnosed last week with Alzheimer's, a common outcome of Downs. So I tend to know more about it than I should.)

I'm going off of memory from almost a decade ago, but at that point the OBGYN was telling us that the Downs test at around 15 weeks was only like 65% accurate.

I'm going off of memory from almost a decade ago, but at that point the OBGYN was telling us that the Downs test at around 15 weeks was only like 65% accurate.

Depends on the test. Some are less accurate, but an amnio at 15-18 weeks is supposed to have better than 90% accuracy (I've heard 99.9%, which sounds like BS to me), and as far as I know is usually considered a conclusive finding when it gives an unambiguous result.

Will our media report on Pope Francis's words a few minutes ago to the U.S. Bishops..............................Don't bet on it.

Speaking to the nation’s Catholic bishops in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, the pontiff said: I appreciate the unfailing commitment of the Church in America to the cause of life and that of the family, which is the primary reason for my present visit.”

The Pope listed: “the innocent victim of abortion, children who die of hunger or from bombings, immigrants who drown in the search for a better tomorrow, the elderly or the sick who are considered a burden, the victims of terrorism, wars, violence and drug trafficking, the environment devastated by man’s predatory relationship with nature – at stake in all of this is the gift of God, of which we are noble stewards but not masters.”

“It is wrong, then, to look the other way or to remain silent,” he said.

“Ever present within each of them is life as gift and responsibility. The future freedom and dignity of our societies depends on how we face these challenges,” he exhorted.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/pope-francis-just-revealed-the-primary-reason-for-his-visit-and-liberals-will-hate-it/

Edited by B-Man

Oh, please, like the guy who believes in an invisible mythical being in the sky is to be believed about anything.

Well, anything other than global warming cooling climate change, in which case, he's a genius.

They're cafeteria Catholics.

Edited by reddogblitz

Will our media report on Pope Francis's words a few minutes ago to the U.S. Bishops..............................Don't bet on it.

Speaking to the nation’s Catholic bishops in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, the pontiff said: I appreciate the unfailing commitment of the Church in America to the cause of life and that of the family, which is the primary reason for my present visit.”

The Pope listed: “the innocent victim of abortion, children who die of hunger or from bombings, immigrants who drown in the search for a better tomorrow, the elderly or the sick who are considered a burden, the victims of terrorism, wars, violence and drug trafficking, the environment devastated by man’s predatory relationship with nature – at stake in all of this is the gift of God, of which we are noble stewards but not masters.”

“It is wrong, then, to look the other way or to remain silent,” he said.

“Ever present within each of them is life as gift and responsibility. The future freedom and dignity of our societies depends on how we face these challenges,” he exhorted.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/pope-francis-just-revealed-the-primary-reason-for-his-visit-and-liberals-will-hate-it/

No doubt the media (if not the White House itself) is going to find some statement that can be taken out of context to demonstrate the Pope actually supports abortion...

I probably should have put this in the GOP thread and not the abortion thread, because my reason for posting it was not about abortion, but about how Fiorina shut down the SoProg lies told about her and the video. I couldn't believe how many talking heads were accusing her of lying when ANYONE who watched the videos knew what she was talking about.

But then you start thinking about SoProg sheep and you realize they didn't watch the video because they don't really have to form an opinion on things: they just repeat what they're told to write or say.

I am troubled by the people coming out saying essentially it wasn't exactly in the video as described, so that somehow makes the process less concerning. Whether it is on the screen as a slice and dice session, or simply the clinical documentation that describes the process it is equally alarming, and is a good time to begin a discussion.... Should we limit term legally, or does that force unsafe procedures in makeshift clinics? Do we change how we deliver information about birth control to kids? How do we evaluate our relationship with this procedure in 2015?

I think Carly found an edge as a female candidate to discuss abortion and reignite the debate... Some will fault her for politicizing it, I appreciate the opportunity to engage in meaningful discourse. Unfortunately media will as you said corral the sheep and they'll be out mimicking talking point instead of looking inward and evaluating their moral and ethic position. Death to cable news and ideologically driven new drivel.

Psychopathic?? Ummmmm we are talking women here. :D

Yo, bitches be crazy... I think we can all agree on that subject

Something about a test at 20 weeks that doesn't reveal the ideal baby and off to the scraping that doesn't sit we'll with me. I understand the motivation, I do, a life with somebody with disabilities is difficult and probably approaching sainthood, but it just doesn't seem right to be able rig the game so speak.... I mean if you can't accept what nature gives you, !@#$ing adopt....

Off soapbox

Edited by B-Large

There was just a great moment at the House hearing gong on right now where Cecile Richards was forced to admit under questioning from Rep. Cynthia Lummins (R, WY) that although abortions only account for 3% of Planned Parenthood’s total procedures, abortions account for 86% of Planned Parenthood’s revenues:

Rep. Lummins also got Richards to admit that Planned Parenthood doesn’t do mammograms:

You can watch the hearing live here.