"Newspaper reporter" is the worst job of 2015

YoloinOhio

omg. Some jobs are getting paid chump change.

Army 28k. Really?

Corrections officer 39k

Firefighters 45k

Mail carriers 41

Firefighters probably start at 45 base but with over time they have to be making close to 100. Figure doesnt add up.

Ps. Im a chump and I make 60k AND RISING.

I was a journalism major in the early 90s, pre-Internet. I really wanted to be a sports reporter. I interned in the sports department of a mid-sized daily. Most miserable group of mofos ever! Made me rethink my major. lol

Edited by YoloinOhio

I was a journalism major in the early 90s, pre-Internet. I really wanted to be a sports reporter. I interned in the sports department of a mid-sized daily. Most miserable group of mofos ever! Made me rethink my major. lol

I could definately see that. These athletes look down on reporters knowing most of them never played sports at a high level. You ever watch that ESPN Clip where the reporter is asking this guy for the Cowboys(forget his name) a question that the Cowboy didn't like. The Cowboy then asks "have you ever played sports at a high level" & the reporter says "Yeah I played in junior high" & then the Cowboy player says "junior high Oh my god your parents must be so proud." It was actually kind of funny.

I could definately see that. These athletes look down on reporters knowing most of them never played sports at a high level. You ever watch that ESPN Clip where the reporter is asking this guy for the Cowboys(forget his name) a question that the Cowboy didn't like. The Cowboy then asks "have you ever played sports at a high level" & the reporter says "Yeah I played in junior high" & then the Cowboy player says "junior high Oh my god your parents must be so proud." It was actually kind of funny.

I think a lot depends on how a reporter carries himself with players and coaches. If you come off like Sully or Bucky of course people will treat you like the jerk you are. But a little respect and humility goes a long way. I was interviewing a "Type A" coach after a loss and asked what he thought was a dumb question. He asked me if I knew anything about basketball. I said "I don't. That's why I'm asking you!" He realized then that I wasn't harping on him. I was trying to get his story right. We were cool from then on.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Too bad it was that long ago I could have saved you a few thousand dollars and sent you clippings of Bucky and Jerry.

I think a lot depends on how a reporter carries himself with players and coaches. If you come off like Sully or Bucky of course people will treat you like the jerk you are. But a little respect and humility goes a long way. I was interviewing a "Type A" coach after a loss and asked what he thought was a dumb question. He asked me if I knew anything about basketball. I said "I don't. That's why I'm asking you!" He realized then that I wasn't harping on him. I was trying to get his story right. We were cool from then on.

I met Danny Gare one time after he retired and asked him if the 1970's Sabres ever had any issues with reporters. He said that there never was because the reporters at that time knew what to write and knew what not to write. He said that there was a "trust" that they had with the media, and the media always cleaned up the players' language so that the players always sounded halfway intelligent in the newspaper.

so basically they were puppets for the teams...i have no issues with criticism of teams or players, but some of it goes way too far, especially in the bucky/sully end of things

I met Danny Gare one time after he retired and asked him if the 1970's Sabres ever had any issues with reporters. He said that there never was because the reporters at that time knew what to write and knew what not to write. He said that there was a "trust" that they had with the media, and the media always cleaned up the players' language so that the players always sounded halfway intelligent in the newspaper.

so basically they were puppets for the teams...i have no issues with criticism of teams or players, but some of it goes way too far, especially in the bucky/sully end of things

I know what GBID means and I do it too, to an extent. You have to know what someone means to say when they give you a quote. I clean up a lot of quotes, mainly for grammar and stumbles, etc, but I understand what was trying to be said. Sometimes a coach or player says something that could be inflammatory. I always ask if they meant to say that and want to be quoted. If they retract it, I don't report it. I also always respect "off the record."

It's not being a puppet. It's being respectful. No one wants to talk to you if all you want is to embarrass them. Keep in mind this is sports, not hard news. Certainly you don't cover up legitimate stories. But using "gotcha" quotes and reporting what is off the record is not professional, IMO.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

so basically they were puppets for the teams...

Not at all. They were conduits for providing fans with information. That was an important role in the pre-Internet days and most guys took it very seriously.

Today--with the white noise of too much access, information--not so much...

Good point!

I know what GBID means and I do it too, to an extent. You have to know what someone means to say when they give you a quote. I clean up a lot of quotes, mainly for grammar and stumbles, etc, but I understand what was trying to be said. Sometimes a coach or player says something that could be inflammatory. I always ask if they meant to say that and want to be quoted. If they retract it, I don't report it. I also always respect "off the record."

It's not being a puppet. It's being respectful. No one wants to talk to you if all you want is to embarrass them. Keep in mind this is sports, not hard news. Certainly you don't cover up legitimate stories. But using "gotcha" quotes and reporting what is off the record is not professional, IMO.

But using "gotcha" quotes and reporting what is off the record is not professional, IMO.

Sadly, it's also common practice in most reporting nowadays (particularly political coverage.)

It's actually rather sad to think that sports reporting is probably near the top of the heap when it comes to integrity.