Daredevil on Netflix

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the full season last week and just want to report to anyone considering watching that it just may be the best thing Marvel has ever put out (at least on par with Iron Man 1).

Great storyline - it is really a 13-hour movie rather than 13 one-hour shorts. The character is dark and nuanced. The supporting cast is terrific.

Vincent D'Onofrio reminds you of his greatness as The Kingpin. His character has a compelling back story and he plays it with just the right amount of personal pain mixed with sociopathic disconnect and violence. In the future all Marvel supervillian actors will aspire to match his performance.

Oh, and the non-cut fight scenes were things of beauty. Just shows you don't need CGI to make a superhero show look good on the screen.

All in all, a tour de force.

Watched the whole thing - don't want to spoil anything, but this season is entirely scripted towards the origin of Daredevil (you won't see the red suit till the last episode).

...don't want to spoil anything, but I will anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I was wondering about actually after the earlier conversation, if they might be able to cross over with their other Netflix shows. I don't know a thing about those other characters. Are they ones that also fit in with the much darker image of this show?

Yes to both questions.

At the risk of allay any doubts to me being a nerd I will fill in some details(with some of my own nerd opinion thrown in).

The characters chosen for the netflicks shows are all more street level characters(Iron Fist by virtue of his regular association with Cage), and they will all cross into each other's shows. Cage will be appearing in Jessica Jones, and if the comics are anything to go by, likely Daredevil will as well. Also JJ and DD, plus Iron Fist are bound to be appearing in the Cage show etc. The character that will likely be missing from Marvel's stable of street heroes will be The Punisher(due to screen ownership issues).

I believe that the gritty versions of the characters that are portrayed come from the time when writer Brian Michael Bendis was writing Daredevil. At the same time as his Daredevil work he also wrote a new book entitled Alias. The mature story of a self loathing, powered, ex-one time supersuit private investigator with PTSD, Jessica Jones. In this book he crossed into the Daredevil world and reintroduced Luke Cage. Though the comic only ran for 28 issues it was IMO one of the best mainstream(part of a major superhero universe) comicbooks ever writen.

As the A.K.A Jessica Jones show will draw largely from the original source material, and considering the quality of the DD production, the show could be really something special.

In terms of overall MCU(Marvel Cinematic Universe) tie-ins, that is of course speculative. Considering however that the SHIELD show has introduced Inhumans, and we know that last Marvel movie planned to date will be called "Inhumans"; coupled with the knowledge that the Netflicks series's are slated to run through 2019(Defenders), the same time that the second Infinity War movie will hit the screens; and that all of the netflick shows will be tightly intertwined, it would be a decent bet that the Marvel TV shows enter the big screen for the big finale.

I was under the impression that they have reacquired the rights to the Punisher. I thought I had seen something along those lines at some point.

It looks like you are right, Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider are back with Marvel. No mention of any future plans for them yet.

Thanks for everyone who remember this show. One of my favorite shows in a long time. Amazing. Fisk was one of the best acting jobs I can remember. Such a great portrayal of a conflicted man.

Great, great show and it sucks we have to wait for season 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished this over the weekend.

I agree with an earlier poster that for me this is the best thing Marvel has done to-date.

I saw someone else mention that Marvel reacquired the rights to the Punisher. I really hope they can give that character a show along the lines of this one as the style and level of grittiness/violence would be the perfect treatment for that material as well.

So my netflix sub should be spent on more than just watching boring docs and old saved by the bell reruns???

Finally finished this over the weekend.

I agree with an earlier poster that for me this is the best thing Marvel has done to-date.

I saw someone else mention that Marvel reacquired the rights to the Punisher. I really hope they can give that character a show along the lines of this one as the style and level of grittiness/violence would be the perfect treatment for that material as well.

Best thing that marvel done to date?????

Nothing beats Rebecca Romijn and Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique.

So my netflix sub should be spent on more than just watching boring docs and old saved by the bell reruns???

Okay, best non-whack material that Marvel has done to date. :)

I meant best thing they've done with their own studio/production company.

X-men is technically Fox. :devil:

6 episodes in now, and it only gets better (and more violent/gruesome). D'Onofrio is pretty amazing as Kingpin, wait until you see his character get rolling....

Great job by Netflix and Marvel on this.

I want to watch this with my 11 and 13 year old boys. They really like the Flash show n network TV. Will it be too gruesome for them? They routinely watch PG-13 movies with "comic book violence" so they are used to that.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL