Daredevil on Netflix

Anyone watching or already marathoned?

I watched the first 3 episodes yesterday and am really digging the look and feel of the show. Much better than the horrible dreck with Ben Affleck that butchered the Marvel hero known as the "Man Without Fear."

Btw, he still hasn't donned the red suit or employed the billy club at the point I'm at. Was always one of my favorite comics as a kid, can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good series. Gotta love Foggy. It will erase all bad memories of the Aflec turd in the first episode. Much darker than Marvels cinematic efforts.

Yep, I went into it like "Hope they didnt screw this up again", and was completely relieved/convinced after just the first episode.

The fight scenes are ridiculous. That single-shot hallway fight scene at the end of episode 2 is just top notch.

Good series. Gotta love Foggy. It will erase all bad memories of the Aflec turd in the first episode. Much darker than Marvels cinematic efforts.

Is it supposed to exist in the same continuity as the movie universe?

Is it supposed to exist in the same continuity as the movie universe?

Yep, I believe it's the same universe as the current Avengers movies. They only make loose references to it, but the basis for Kinpin making his fortune in construction is from repairing all the damage that the aliens and Avengers did in their fight from the movie. They also reference needing "an iron suit, or a magic hammer". It is definitely not a stand-alone universe.

Makes it even cooler, imo. It gives a glimpse of everyday life on the ground, while the Avengers and bigger things are happening in the background.

There also seem to be a lot of parallels between Daredevil and DC's Batman. More of a regular guy that fights well and goes after street thugs from the shadows versus the "Super Heroes" flying around with their magical powers taking on aliens from another dimension.

This is definitely the "dark side" of the current Marvel/Avengers/movie universe. A lot more violent, a lot more bloody and gruesome. Even surprisingly so at some parts.

Edited by DrDareustein

So it sounds like it would be tough to tie it in very closely to the movies. SHIELD actually got entertaining last year right when Winter Soldier came out. They can't do the same thing here since all episodes come out at the same time. I like the thought that it will have to be more of a stand-alone show. I'll be checking it out soon, I'm just not sure when.

So it sounds like it would be tough to tie it in very closely to the movies. SHIELD actually got entertaining last year right when Winter Soldier came out. They can't do the same thing here since all episodes come out at the same time. I like the thought that it will have to be more of a stand-alone show. I'll be checking it out soon, I'm just not sure when.

I doubt you'd see much/any character crossover, but they could tie events together. With the new Avengers coming out soon, they could tie some of those events (or the aftermath of those events) into the next Daredevil season.

Definitely check it out. You wont be disappointed.

Another note: Netflix will also be doing Luke Cage, Iron Fist and AKA Jessica Jones shows then bringing all of them (Daredevil included) back for a Defenders show. Should be really cool. Too bad they can't add the Hulk and Doctor Strange to the Defenders show.

That's what I was wondering about actually after the earlier conversation, if they might be able to cross over with their other Netflix shows. I don't know a thing about those other characters. Are they ones that also fit in with the much darker image of this show?

That's what I was wondering about actually after the earlier conversation, if they might be able to cross over with their other Netflix shows. I don't know a thing about those other characters. Are they ones that also fit in with the much darker image of this show?

All of them (except Jessica Jones) were permanent or occasional members of the Defenders, which was a secret superhero "non- group."

The Defenders comic, in the '70s, was darker and grittier than other groups like the Fantastic Four and the Avengers.

Here's some info on its history and membership:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Defenders_members

First 3-4 episodes were particularly good for a TV adaptation. The fight scene at the end of episode 2, in a hallway, with multiple opponents, while injured, all done with just a few shots while the camera tracks up and down the hallway might be the best fight scene I've ever seen on TV (where time constraints don't generally permit this type of staging of the action.) Normally they'd get standard coverage and cut it together with quick edits to give it a visceral feel and move on.

The season stays pretty strong throughout with the only hiccup coming in the season finale. It went from a pretty unusual take for a comic book adaptation to very standard fare.

Overall it was a good show, much better than Marvel's other offerings on TV.

Also not a fan of the mask on his costume. They need to fix it.