Article: Can David Lee improve the Bills' QB situation?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this thread from 2011? I think I've seen this movie before

The logo is the same, but pretty much everything else surrounding the Buffalo Bills is different since quarterbacks coach David Lee was last a member of the Bills coaching staff.

Except for the fact that the position still stinks

EJ made it clear that he wants to get back to being "Himself" and use his legs more. He kept repeating that in his interview.

It's obvious that Marrone and Co wanted him to throw more and run less. That made him something he wasn't, and put him in an uncomfortable situation to where he struggled.

Ryan and Roman preach gameplanning based on a players strength, not making them try to do something they aren't comfortable doing. With Lee now coming out and telling EJ to run more, along with EJ making it clear that he feels comfortable running more, it seems that coach and player are finally on the same page.

While this doesn't change his accuracy issues, I believe Marrone's attempt into making him something he wasn't made him think too much in the pocket, which led to mistakes. The mistakes cut into his confidence, which stunted other areas of his growth, such as accuracy.

I think allowing EJ to be his natural self and increase his confidence ( as well as the training he received from DeBerg over the winter) will result in a different player come summertime. Hopefully he puts it together. If he does, this will be a very dangerous team.

David Lee?? I thought Steve DeBerg was EJ's QB coach.

Lee is his QB coach in Buffalo. DeBerg was an outside consultant in the offseason that EJ paid to help him develop.

Edited by dezertbill

EJ made it clear that he wants to get back to being "Himself" and use his legs more. He kept repeating that in his interview.

It's obvious that Marrone and Co wanted him to throw more and run less. That made him something he wasn't, and put him in an uncomfortable situation to where he struggled.

Ryan and Roman preach gameplanning based on a players strength, not making them try to do something they aren't comfortable doing. With Lee now coming out and telling EJ to run more, along with EJ making it clear that he feels comfortable running more, it seems that coach and player are finally on the same page.

While this doesn't change his accuracy issues, I believe Marrone's attempt into making him something he wasn't made him think too much in the pocket, which led to mistakes. The mistakes cut into his confidence, which stunted other areas of his growth, such as accuracy.

I think allowing EJ to be his natural self and increase his confidence ( as well as the training he received from DeBerg over the winter) will result in a different player come summertime. Hopefully he puts it together. If he does, this will be a very dangerous team.

Lee is his QB coach in Buffalo. DeBerg was an outside consultant in the offseason that EJ paid to help him develop.

Good thing we won't have to worry about him having too many voices in his ear.

Good thing we won't have to worry about him having too many voices in his ear.

i don't understand the issue... The CBA prevents him from working with Lee or any coach of the Bills in the offseason. He still wants to work on trying to improve in the offseason, so he hired someone. Many other NFL qbs do the same. Deberg helped him with his throwing motion. I am sure Lee is used to the fact that QBs use consultants in the offseason.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what his emphasis was with Fitzpatrick. Footwork and throwing mechanics. Under David Lee Fitz regressed.

At some point a great artist cannot rework a painting from another mediocre painter. That's Lee and EJM IMO.

Mechanics also tend to break down when under pressure, which is another shortcoming in EJ's game. When he's rattled all the instruction he's received goes out the window.

I don't expect him to beat out Cassel for the starting job for 2015.

In his prior stint here, Lee tried to "fix" Fitz and I thought he actually regressed. It was almost like you could see the wheels turning as he thought about technique rather being his natural gunslinger self.

Maybe E.J. will be more successful in being coached up, but I'm not sold on Lee's ability to be that guy...

Yeah this article makes me think that Lee is going to complicate the position by making things more difficult than they need to be. He did the same thing with Fitz and it seemed to hurt him.

When a QB has to think instead of react isn't a good thing.

Telling a player "forget everything and start from scratch by listening to me" is not a good sign. This article makes me nervous and questions whether Lee is the right man for the job or is his ways not applicable in the NFL anymore.

In his prior stint here, Lee tried to "fix" Fitz and I thought he actually regressed. It was almost like you could see the wheels turning as he thought about technique rather being his natural gunslinger self.

Maybe E.J. will be more successful in being coached up, but I'm not sold on Lee's ability to be that guy...

The two were really trying to fix one specific thing, when Fitz dropped back, set up, turn to his left and threw to his left. It helped in practice. When the bullets flew, Fitz reverted to his old ways, which is a crappy way to throw to begin with.