Quintessential Rock and Roll song.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Band...Take a Load Off Jenny

While this is a great band, and what you reference is a great song, it's not Jenny. It's Fannie.

And it's actually called "The Weight."

But other than that, you nailed it. :lol:

(I'm just busting chops, amigo.)

This was a pro war song:

I can see how you would think that but nope. I will analyze it for you later when I have time.

Anyway I guess I was slightly off saying Rock and Roll us about chicks. It is about sex. In addition to Patti Smith getting McEnroe, Pat Benatar and Chrissy Hynde had relationships with band members. Also Freddie Mercury and Elton Jain were I it for sex but a different kind. Plus the fact that the Beatles were all ugly dudes who had no shot at all if they weren't in a band.

Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life"

"It's Only Rock and Roll" is considered by many, to be the point where the Stones jumped the shark, and became self-parody.

And, many are idiots! The shark was still a ways off in the distance...they had about 5 more terrific albums in them before the "shark was jumped"...

Edited by Buftex

I can see how you would think that but nope. I will analyze it for you later when I have time.

Anyway I guess I was slightly off saying Rock and Roll us about chicks. It is about sex. In addition to Patti Smith getting McEnroe, Pat Benatar and Chrissy Hynde had relationships with band members. Also Freddie Mercury and Elton Jain were I it for sex but a different kind. Plus the fact that the Beatles were all ugly dudes who had no shot at all if they weren't in a band.

I thought it would take longer but I didn't remember the lyrics that well:

You run, run, runaway

It's your heart that you betray

Feeding on your hungry eyes

I bet you're not so civilized

Well isn't love primitive?

A wild gift that you wanna give

Break out of captivity

And follow me a stereo jungle child

Love is the kill, your heart's still wild

Shooting at the walls of heartache

Bang, bang, I am the warrior

Well, I am the warrior

And heart to heart you'll win

If you survive the warrior, the warrior

You talk, talk, talk to me

Your eyes touch me physically

Stay with me we'll take the night

As passion takes another bite, oh

Who's the hunter, who's the game?

I feel the beat call your name

I hold you close in victory

I don't wanna tame your animal style

You won't be caged in the call of the wild

Like I said, Rock and Roll is about sex. This Pasta dude is waaaaaaaaaaaay off.

While this is a great band, and what you reference is a great song, it's not Jenny. It's Fannie.

And it's actually called "The Weight."

But other than that, you nailed it. :lol:

(I'm just busting chops, amigo.)

I've seen lyrics say "Fannie" but I'm pretty sure it's Annie, and they get the f from the end of off.

At least that's what I hope.

And, many are idiots! The shark was still a ways off in the distance...they had about 5 more terrific albums in them before the "shark was jumped"...

I dig the tune, but would never consider it the quintessential rock song.

I like 70's Stones (Some Girls best), but Goats thru Black and Blue I consider their weakest records (I don't really consider anything after Tattoo You at all). I much prefer pre-Altamont Stones.

You do know that Mick Taylor, Charlie Watts, and Bill Wyman aren't playing on IORR? Mick Taylor hated it, and thought it was self-parody...I agree. All the pre-Altamont menace was gone, just pure schtick. That's still okay, but not as potent as say "Gimme Shelter"..."Jumping Jack Flash"...."Street Fighting Man"..."Let It Bleed"... Satisf...

Edited by HoF Watkins

The quintessential rock 'n roll song is "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen, simply because it perfectly embodies almost every one of the essential elements of what rock 'n roll was originally about: Girls. Cars. Salvation. Youth. Taking a chance. Getting out of town. Taking the highway. Leaving your parents. Playing a guitar. Getting sex. And losers having a chance to win. All in one tremendous song that is both slow and fast.

We Built This City - by Jefferson Starship! (it's about building a city on rock and roll!!!)

The most suicide-inducing song in the history of music. It could only be worse if the lyrics were "Do it! Nobody cares!"

I would go with Rosalita(Come Out Tonight) because it is a song about being a rock and roll star, and after all, isn't rock and roll all about wanting to be a rock and roll star....

The quintessential rock 'n roll song is "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen, simply because it perfectly embodies almost every one of the essential elements of what rock 'n roll was originally about: Girls. Cars. Salvation. Youth. Taking a chance. Getting out of town. Taking the highway. Leaving your parents. Playing a guitar. Getting sex. And losers having a chance to win. All in one tremendous song that is both slow and fast.

Edited by The Poojer

Bruce Springsteen is the most overrated band ever.