Football Outsiders 2015 SackSEER Projections

This is mostly for Dave McBride and the handful of other posters who, like me, enjoy Football Outsiders content (also, sorry, but you'll need ESPN Insider to view this). Football Outsiders SackSEER projections uses a mathematical formula primarily based upon combine measurables to predict passrushing success at the NFL level. They've had some misses, but overall it's a pretty good indicator (I'll never forget how they predicted Jerry Hughes to be the top passrusher in his draft class, then openly wondered about whether they needed to change their formula after he struggled for a few years, and have since been vindicated).

Anyways, here are the projections:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12599980/projecting-top-pass-rushing-prospects-nfl-draft

For those who can't view it, they project Vic Beasley as the top passrusher in this draft class, they predict Donte Fowler and Shane Ray to flop, and list Davis Tull as their top passrusher sleeper.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Awesome stuff - thanks. Wish I could read the full thing. As I recall, their methodology seemed pretty strong.

Check out what they say about Khalil Mack last year. Mack, of course, had a sensational rookie season (even though the sack numbers weren't huge). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/sackseer-2014

Mack had 13 stuffs last season to go with his 4 sacks.

As you'll see, FO also was high on Anthony Barr, who had a great rookie season, and thought that Dee Ford was a potential bust (he had just 1.5 sacks for the Chiefs this past season).

Edited by dave mcbride

Awesome stuff - thanks. Wish I could read the full thing. As I recall, their methodology seemed pretty strong.

Check out what they say about Khalil Mack last year. Mack, of course, had a sensational rookie season (even though the sack numbers weren't huge). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/sackseer-2014

As you'll see, FO also was high on Anthony Barr, who had a great rookie season, and thought that Dee Ford was a potential bust (he had just 1.5 sacks for the Chiefs this past season).

Spot on projection for Michael Sam, too.

I like SackSEER as an analytical tool. I think they rely too much on the 40 and the 3-cone, and not enough on the bench press and the 10-yard split, but overall it's a solid compendium of metrics.

This year, I happen to totally agree on Fowler, as I think he's got bust written all over him.

Ditto for Beasley; he's production and athleticism combined.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't particularly high on Ford, but too be fair, he had to play along Houston and Hali. I didn't watch many Chiefs games, though.

How far back does this go? I'd be curious to see their projections for the past however many years.

SackSEER predicted that Maybin would be tops in his class and would accumulate over 40 sacks faster than anyone in his class.

It's since been tweaked but hey, it's good for a laugh.

You mean there's not a program that infallibly predicts career stats for an end yet?!? Who would've guessed....

SackSEER predicted that Maybin would be tops in his class and would accumulate over 40 sacks faster than anyone in his class.

It's since been tweaked but hey, it's good for a laugh.

Your post was "good for a laugh" and not much else. By the way the model was more than "tweaked" - it was re-designed pretty significantly.