Matt Cassel's abnormal career path.

I was reminded that Matt Cassel did not start a single game in college at USC and only attempted 33 passes with no TD passes.

Supposedly he impressed at the USC 2005 Pro Day. Must have been a hell of a performance!!

His agent must have also done a great job for him to actually get drafted. Then he actually makes the Patriots roster and sees some action in his rookie year. He ends up starting most of the 2008 season after Brady's injury in the opening game.

When you consider all of the highly acclaimed college QBs that were 1st round picks and didn't have much of an NFL career (Akili Smith, Andre Ware, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Losman to name a few) the NFL career of Matt Cassel is truly amazing.

I was reminded that Matt Cassel did not start a single game in college at USC and only attempted 33 passes with no TD passes.

Supposedly he impressed at the USC 2005 Pro Day. Must have been a hell of a performance!!

His agent must have also done a great job for him to actually get drafted. Then he actually makes the Patriots roster and sees some action in his rookie year. He ends up starting most of the 2008 season after Brady's injury in the opening game.

When you consider all of the highly acclaimed college QBs that were 1st round picks and didn't have much of an NFL career (Akili Smith, Andre Ware, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Losman to name a few) the NFL career of Matt Cassel is truly amazing.

its a good point and also a reminder of all the talent that never ends up seeing the field for meaningful snaps at these big college programs. They come in as highly recruited players and especially at qb, it can be tough to get playing time depending on who else is there. Edited by YoloinOhio

its a good point and also a reminder of all the talent that never ends up seeing the field for meaningful snaps at these big college programs. They come in as highly recruited players and especially at qb, it can be tough to get playing time depending on who else is there.

It is interesting how the differences in the game play out. the greatest college QBs are rarely the greatest NFL QBs and vice versa...

Brady, Flacco, Ben, brees, rodgers, wilson are some examples of good to greats that didn't stand out in college as the best of the best. Brees, eli, etc.

The other side of this offers, Sanchez, Leinart, tebow, Jamarcus, etc...

Manning and luck are the few cases where a qb was considered among the best in college and the pros.

Interesting addition to the overall dialogue about Cassel. I sure as heck did not know that !

:thumbsup:

It is interesting how the differences in the game play out. the greatest college QBs are rarely the greatest NFL QBs and vice versa...

Brady, Flacco, Ben, brees, rodgers, wilson are some examples of good to greats that didn't stand out in college as the best of the best. Brees, eli, etc.

Manning and luck are the few cases where a qb was considered among the best in college and the pros.

Expectations and where you are drafting. We love to bury Qbs. Guys who are drafted lower have little expectations and are allowed to develop out of the spotlight.

I will give Cassel props for making a NFL career out of nothing. That said, his career has been trending downwards for the last 4 years.

Might be true. But that might be more about situation ??

Play call to a players strengths. Its an obvious statement i know.

But if Roamin' and Kramer can let him get steady he might steer the ship to some nice sailing.

if he is called on.

Go Bills

Manning, best qb of all time. Kid level, High School, College, and Nfl.

Might be true. But that might be more about situation ??

Play call to a players strengths. Its an obvious statement i know.

But if Roamin' and Kramer can let him get steady he might steer the ship to some nice sailing.

if he is called on.

Go Bills

Agreed, it could be. Personally, I think the 2 productive seasons of his career are the outliners. He has thrown more ints than tds since his last good year.

Players don't tend to improve as they enter their 30s in the NFL and Cassel wasn't that great to begin with.

But the guy has made millions playing football so props to him. In a perfect world, he will be our backup/ mentor. Anything more is asking for trouble.

Manning, best qb of all time. Kid level, High School, College, and Nfl.

1) Manning isn't the best qb ever

2) he struggled in big games in college. He has done the same in the pros.

3). He threw more ints than tds and went 3-13 as a rookie.

You need to be patient with all young Qbs.

Agreed, it could be. Personally, I think the 2 productive seasons of his career are the outliners. He has thrown more ints than tds since his last good year.

Players don't tend to improve as they enter their 30s in the NFL and Cassel wasn't that great to begin with.

But the guy has made millions playing football so props to him. In a perfect world, he will be our backup/ mentor. Anything more is asking for trouble.

C 97,

I dont expect him to develop any more , thats for sure. But if he can master the playbook , which i expect, he should be able to find one of the Bills many options available. He should have guys open and find them. Not like last two years of guys running open and either not chucking it or not seeing them.

I think coaching might be a big factor in a QBs success this year.

Not so much skill set.

The larger issue, for me, is protecting him. i think if our Bills line does that we got a shot with Cassel.

I will give Cassel props for making a NFL career out of nothing. That said, his career has been trending downwards for the last 4 years.

True, but he did win the Vikings job before injuring his foot. Roman would play to his strengths.

Edited by Green Lightning

Cassel was as big a recruit as most of those guys, one of the top in the nation. He was just stuck behind two guys who won the Heisman in front of him, and was a hometown boy who just decided not to leave USC. It was incredible that he didn't after Leinart beat him out.