Mccoy says Chip Kelly doesn't respect stars

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - LeSean McCoy still hasn't spoken to Chip Kelly. The running back said his former coach called him twice, but he didn't answer. So he has yet to hear Kelly's reason for trading him to the Buffalo Bills last month.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20150407_LeSean_McCoy_says_Chip_Kelly_doesn_t_respect_stars.html#OZcOBKZrZDR9Vh4U.99

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strong words from a player...

Perhaps one of the reasons Chip doesn't like stars. The whole "no I in team" concept.

I think we're going to have to get used to having an outspoken player in Buffalo. It seems like ages since we've had one of those...

the Eagles better be good this year or the fans are going to turn on Chip pretty quickly. he got rid of every star on that team and now everyone will have to buy new jerseys. i could see them starting out the year slow and the fans booing them out of the stadium

the Eagles better be good this year or the fans are going to turn on Chip pretty quickly. he got rid of every star on that team and now everyone will have to buy new jerseys. i could see them starting out the year slow and the fans booing them out of the stadium

Agree on this. Be interesting to watch, cause if they do implode , the narrative will be he wanted to prove coaching and scheme is more important than talent. We shall see.

It really wasn't anything that we didn't already know, or has been speculated to death on Philly sports radio.

I took a look, and it pretty much breaks down like this:

-Chip Kelly tries to run player management, conditioning etc. Like he was still coaching in Oregon

-McCoy was slightly miffed after, having been entirely ok with restructuring his deal, they never talked to him or his agent before trading him.

-McCoy is confused as to why, if he truly was a fit in Chip's offense why Chip just couldn't come out and say it, and explain how Shady put up 1600 yards their first year together.

-Looking at his experience, DeSean getting cut for nothing after a Pro Bowl year, and Maclin being allowed to walk, as well as a lot of outspoken veteran locker room leaders getting cut McCoy has come, as have many, to the conclusion that Chip Kelly wants to be the star of the Eagles and he does not want outspoken voices in his locker room.

Nothing Earth shattering.

Agree on this. Be interesting to watch, cause if they do implode , the narrative will be he wanted to prove coaching and scheme is more important than talent. We shall see.

the narrative that chip thinks he can win without high price talent kind of fizzled when he traded for Bradford and signed Murray. I think he wants people to think he can do it with just anyone, but that's not realistic. If he kept the inexpensive Foles and went with a rookie RB i would be more intrigued. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think McCoy is really immature/full of himself. Of course Chip Kelly "respects stars"...The idea that Chip Kelly's ego is running the show over there seems VERY far fetched...The business of football is bigger than any one player (especially a RB).

I remember reading an article last year about McCoy being a jerk at a Philly restaurant and completely turned me off to him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lesean-mccoy-left-20-cent-tip-says-restaurant-owner-2014-9

I get that he was asked a question and he answered it, but at this point I think he needs to move on and take it out on the field in Philly

If he keeps going on about it, I will agree.

I think since he's going to be asked, he might as well lay it out there rather than the mysterious "person close to McCoy".

-He's pissed because he worked hard and contributed a lot of yards to Philly, and he/his agent weren't notified of the trade. I get it. It's courtesy. They were willing to reno the deal for Philly. I think a lot of guys would feel the same - if you're thinking of trading me let me know.

-He's double-pissed because the coach is claiming it's the money, while the owner is saying the coach says it's the fit. McCoy is like, be straight, coach, if it's the fit, say so. The fact that they signed Murray for the same contract McCoy took in Buffalo also says "it's not the money, it's the fit".

-He plans to get over it and be polite.

All good, and hopefully going forward he will let it go and put it on the field.

I think McCoy is really immature/full of himself. Of course Chip Kelly "respects stars"...The idea that Chip Kelly's ego is running the show over there seems VERY far fetched...The business of football is bigger than any one player (especially a RB).

I remember reading an article last year about McCoy being a jerk at a Philly restaurant and completely turned me off to him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lesean-mccoy-left-20-cent-tip-says-restaurant-owner-2014-9

I've always wondered what the real story behind that was. If the owner is to believed, he sat right there in the next booth and listened to customers who "were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them wasn't the end, however"

So....years ago, my in-laws family ran an independent fast-food restaurant in a small town. They worked hard, and made a comfortable living (for the area) albeit I think close or below the Federal poverty line, which describes most of the small town population. Their servers were all local high school kids and young adults, mostly women. And a customer would have gotten out just one verbally abusive derogatory statement before my mother in law would have been over there explaining sweetly, but bluntly, that we'd love to serve you, but we don't tolerate that kind of talk here, it disturbs the other patrons and disrespects the staff, so stay and enjoy or keep talking and move on. If they kept it up but refused to leave, the police would have been happy to assist them since officers always received the best service and free coffee or soda, and they would NOT have been served.

They also circulated and asked the patrons how was the food and was everything to their satisfaction. So how could this owner be right there and not ask and be surprised by a 20 cent tip?

Maybe McCoy was a disrespectful jerk, but something about that story just doesn't add up for me. If nothing else, the owner is also a jerk for listening to his staff be insulted and verbally abused and not standing up for them. JMO LMO and IMO.

I like what Kelly is doing. I honestly think he took a look at his squad and thought, "I have a 10-6 team that isn't going to get better." I think he has upgraded hugely on defense and at QB (I like Bradford in that offense), and the RB exchange is a wash. They lost Maclin, but I think they'll be mostly fine at WR. He's a smart coach with a genuinely fresh approach.

I was visiting family this weekend and spoke with one of my brothers based in the Philly area (a devoted Eagles fan). He said that he thought McCoy simply didn't look as good this past season. I brought up the Philly offensive line, and he just shook his head, saying it wasn't just that - a little bit of the explosiveness wasn't there. He's of course inclined to look at the bright side regarding Philly trades, so I'd factor that in, but he is a pretty careful observer. For what it's worth, I do of course think that McCoy is an upgrade over what we had last year.

the narrative that chip thinks he can win without high price talent kind of fizzled when he traded for Bradford and signed Murray. I think he wants people to think he can do it with just anyone, but that's not realistic. If he kept the inexpensive Foles and went with a rookie RB i would be more intrigued.

That narrative isn't really accurate - it's really been about whether he can win with "his" players (Bradford and Murray played in a Kelly-style offense in college), not whether he'll pay them much or not.

the narrative that chip thinks he can win without high price talent kind of fizzled when he traded for Bradford and signed Murray. I think he wants people to think he can do it with just anyone, but that's not realistic. If he kept the inexpensive Foles and went with a rookie RB i would be more intrigued.

How was Foles doing before he was injured?

I like what Kelly is doing. I honestly think he took a look at his squad and thought, "I have a 10-6 team that isn't going to get better." I think he has upgraded hugely on defense and at QB (I like Bradford in that offense), and the RB exchange is a wash. They lost Maclin, but I think they'll be mostly fine at WR. He's a smart coach with a genuinely fresh approach.

I was visiting family this weekend and spoke with one of my brothers based in the Philly area (a devoted Eagles fan). He said that he thought McCoy simply didn't look as good this past season. I brought up the Philly offensive line, and he just shook his head, saying it wasn't just that - a little bit of the explosiveness wasn't there. He's of course inclined to look at the bright side regarding Philly trades, so I'd factor that in, but he is a pretty careful observer. For what it's worth, I do of course think that McCoy is an upgrade over what we had last year.

That narrative isn't really accurate - it's really been about whether he can win with "his" players (Bradford and Murray played in a Kelly-style offense in college), not whether he'll pay them much or not.

Good points!

that was how it started out. Then it changed.

Kelly wants no ego among players. McCoy has an ego.

every NFL player has an ego so good luck with that Chip. But mccoy didn't ask for preferential treatment, he said he felt the players who were considered "stars" were not welcome. Edited by YoloinOhio

that was how it started out. Then it changed.

every NFL player has an ego so good luck with that Chip. But mccoy didn't ask for preferential treatment, he said he felt the players who were considered "stars" were not welcome.

But then they signed different stars.... O.o

But then they signed different stars.... O.o

i don't consider Bradford a star and he didn't replace desean. I guess Murray could be considered a star but that was mccoy's point. Chip initially said it was about money, but it wasn't. Edited by YoloinOhio