Differences between Schwartz and Ryan defenses

Personally, I bet Dareus, KW are our NT and DE, we add another DE in the draft, throw Hughes at ROLB, Mario at LOLB both rushing the passer and only sometimes dropping into coverage, with Bradham and Brown playing ILB.

Besides, because we're going to play with a 3-4 and 4-3 set, our 4-3 set will almost definitely be exactly the same as 2014's.

I wouldn't worry about the run D. Seems to be a Pettine specific problem, Rex has always done pretty well against the run.

Other than Brown, your above line up is virtually the same as Pettine had that coughed up so many yards to the run. But you are right about Rex's D being very tough to run on. Wonder what the difference will be with similar personnel?

My biggest worry in changing back to the Ryan system is how our run D is going to do... I felt like it was much improved under Schwartz. Whether that's due to scheme, or changes at LB, I do not know.

That will be the biggest question mark on D. They were much better under Schwartz, but they trailed off in the second half of the season. They still lack a true NT.

My biggest worry in changing back to the Ryan system is how our run D is going to do... I felt like it was much improved under Schwartz. Whether that's due to scheme, or changes at LB, I do not know.

I think LB play had a lot to do with it. The prior year the run D seemed to get burned for some big runs, but I always had the feeling that the D was struggling to gel as a unit. May be a little of both. Another year and these guys know each other pretty well. Regardless of scheme, I think they will improve even more. The secondary looked as good as I have seen last year. I think the on field communication is better. The band is still together and I think that is going to show even more this year.

I think LB play had a lot to do with it. The prior year the run D seemed to get burned for some big runs, but I always had the feeling that the D was struggling to gel as a unit. May be a little of both. Another year and these guys know each other pretty well. Regardless of scheme, I think they will improve even more. The secondary looked as good as I have seen last year. I think the on field communication is better. The band is still together and I think that is going to show even more this year.

Swapping out Kiko for Brown, this year vs 2013... but everyone else stays the same, no? I worry a bit about Lawson, I know last year he got burned quite a few times on outside runs, yet in 2013 I remember him playing well. I think.

Edited by Dorkington

Swapping out Kiko for Brown, this year vs 2013... but everyone else stays the same, no? I worry a bit about Lawson, I know last year he got burned quite a few times on outside runs, yet in 2013 I remember him playing well. I think.

Actually, Spikes also contributed big on running downs too. Still, I think when teammates have time to work together and trust the man next to you, you become better. Defending the run is all about gap control. When guys are playing their position the way that they are supposed to(trusting the man next to you to do their job as well), the team performs better. Two years ago, I think they had the talent but just didn't play well as a unit. Last year there was an improvement. Perhaps the scheme had a lot to do with it, but it could be just gelling as a team.

Rex clearly indicated that we have the talent to be #1 in the league, and that less than that is a disappointment.

Fine by me!

I don't care what scheme he runs or how he gets there.

Amen, brother.