Differences between Schwartz and Ryan defenses

I am not really spending much time this offseason looking at what we have on the team. I really should but it is exhausting because the hours I'd spend doing it.

There is just too many questions for the directions we can go but we do not need another DT. We need two things on D. A NT and Brandon Spikes. Bryant may be he answer at NT.

I am not really spending much time this offseason looking at what we have on the team. I really should but it is exhausting because the hours I'd spend doing it.

There is just too many questions for the directions we can go but we do not need another DT. We need two things on D. A NT and Brandon Spikes. Bryant may be he answer at NT.

rex indicated Stefan Charles at nose tackle with KW and Dareus at the 5 technique is a possibility.

rex indicated Stefan Charles at nose tackle with KW and Dareus at the 5 technique is a possibility.

Is that who I meant?

Anyway, I think Lawson could contribute a ton. If we can run with 3 guys hands down and Mario Williams on the field with Brown and Bradham we can run a 33. A 33 defense that can put in one piece to change an entire unit. Spikes to make us ramp up against the run, Lawson for the TE, another DB for the extra pass. It sounds simple and no different then a dime or nickel or a simple 34 or 43 but we have so much flexibility its insane.

i'd like to see that happen. I think Charles is ready for a break out year.

The article makes it clear why kiko was expendable too.

I think Jboyst has a point about Spikes. We gave up beaucoup yards on the ground under Pettine and I don't want a return of that. I also struggle to see Jerry Hughes in this mix. A new 5 technique end means Hughes or Bradham may be off the field. They need to play. KW is great but he's not a 5 technique guy.

Edited by Green Lightning

I think Jboyst has a point about Spikes. We gave up beaucoup yards on the ground under Pettine and I don't want a return of that. I also struggle to see Jerry Hughes in this mix. A new 5 technique end means Hughes or Bradham may be off the field. They need to play. KW is great but he's not a 5 technique guy.

a 33 D keeps hughes on the field and bradham some times too.

dareus @ 4, maybe even 5

kwilliams at a 2-3

hughes at a 6 or 7, even 8

leave the middle open and spikes plays the middle hard.

bradham or lawson can play SLB and brown or bradham can play will.

mario williams can play most any of those positions.

They need a DE with size in the draft. Big hitting safety and a DE will be 2 of the first four picks unless Whaley/Rex has a vet in mind.

There are only so many guards this team can draft and take to camp. I would rather see a QB, a center, and defensive depth taken in the draft.

Can we bring Jasper back :D

don't you mean 5T DE?

anyway maybe we can add Kristjan Sokoli from UB as UDFA

Also like Henry Anderson from Stanford

why do you see Bradham off the field? More notably why Hughes? I could see Bradham playing some kind of middle with P Brown, and Hughes could see a lot of time at OLB

You struggle to see Hughes in the mix and Bradham also? They just re-signed Hughes....now you see him sitting on the bench? i don't think so...Bradham. Brown and Hughes will be on the field most of the time.

You struggle to see Hughes in the mix and Bradham also? They just re-signed Hughes....now you see him sitting on the bench? i don't think so...Bradham. Brown and Hughes will be on the field most of the time.

I would hope. It's a luxury of riches. If we add a 5T guy does KW sit? I Think JBoyst's 3/3 description clears it up a bit. I just think I Hughes, Brown, Dareus, Bradham and Mario need to be on the field most of the time.

I would hope. It's a luxury of riches. If we add a 5T guy does KW sit? I Think JBoyst's 3/3 description clears it up a bit. I just think I Hughes, Brown, Dareus, Bradham and Mario need to be on the field most of the time.

Personally, I bet Dareus, KW are our NT and DE, we add another DE in the draft, throw Hughes at ROLB, Mario at LOLB both rushing the passer and only sometimes dropping into coverage, with Bradham and Brown playing ILB.

Besides, because we're going to play with a 3-4 and 4-3 set, our 4-3 set will almost definitely be exactly the same as 2014's.

I wouldn't worry about the run D. Seems to be a Pettine specific problem, Rex has always done pretty well against the run.

Edited by FireChan

and they probably will.

Stefen Charles is a starting quality DL. Wynn can also play 5-tech. Corbin Bryant is a decent depth player. But I do see them drafting more depth.

Besides personnel usage the biggest difference is unblocked pressure. Bills went from 7th under Pettine to 27th. Just shows the amount of pass rush talent the Bills have. Can rush with just 4 without any disguise. Can't wait to see Rex with actual edge pass rushers.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Personally, I bet Dareus, KW are our NT and DE, we add another DE in the draft, throw Hughes at ROLB, Mario at LOLB both rushing the passer and only sometimes dropping into coverage, with Bradham and Brown playing ILB.

Besides, because we're going to play with a 3-4 and 4-3 set, our 4-3 set will almost definitely be exactly the same as 2014's.

I wouldn't worry about the run D. Seems to be a Pettine specific problem, Rex has always done pretty well against the run.

agree with all of this.

You would think pettine would have learned to stop the run learning under rex.

Maybe, but that seems like kind of a waste to do more than occasionally. Dareus is a Suh like tackle, who can beat double teams at the 1-tech, while Kyle is optimal at 3-tech.

I agree that D-line is a sneaky need. I do think we could get by with Charles playing heavy 5 technique like Pettine did with Branch but with Dareus' contract coming up and depth thin I can easily see taking a 3rd or 5th rounder.

Hmmmmmmm........

Ryan will use more dime than nearly every other team in the league, mix in some quarters, and still use a ton of nickel, as well - 2-4-5, 3-4-5, 4-3-5, or otherwise.

I LOVE IT!!!!!! I can't believe that no-one has ever thought to use 12 men on defense before......... Rex is a genius.