LAMP - My son is going to college

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why this is a thread. I mean, it's not like he is going to Slippery Rock! If he had decided on that fine institution, then I could understand. But Cornell? Who cares....just your average run of the mill Ivory...big deal!!

Wow Fergy, great news!!! Awesome awesome awesome for your son. Be proud as all get out.

I don't understand why this is a thread. I mean, it's not like he is going to Slippery Rock! If he had decided on that fine institution, then I could understand. But Cornell? Who cares....just your average run of the mill Ivory...big deal!!

Wow Fergy, great news!!! Awesome awesome awesome for your son. Be proud as all get out.

Thanks plenz

Nice mead. My son had it narrowed down to Clarkson or UB if Cornell didn't work out. Clarkson is a great school.

1 out of 5 CEOs come from Clarkson. I was surprised at that. I remember you talking about college at lunch.

I am curious what a biological engineer does. Is it like environmental/ecological stuff, or bio-medical stuff (or neither or both)? Sounds like an interesting cross-discipline.

Fergy Jr. will engineer a better JR in Pittsburgh.

I am curious what a biological engineer does. Is it like environmental/ecological stuff, or bio-medical stuff (or neither or both)? Sounds like an interesting cross-discipline.

Related Links

Undergraduate Handbook (2014-2015)

Institute of Biological Engineering

Biological Engineering and its Possibilities for You

Biological Engineering

Biological engineering is the biology-based engineering discipline that integrates life sciences with engineering in the advancement and application of fundamental concepts of biological systems from molecular to ecosystem levels. It incorporates the tremendous developments in quantitative, mechanistic and molecular level understanding and manipulation capabilities of biological systems.

Biological Engineers

Biological engineers study characterization, measurement and representation of systemic processes within an organism; interactions between organisms and their environment; and engineering design to develop processes and systems that monitor, simulate, replace, modify, control, or utilize the mechanisms of living organisms and their products.

Biological Engineering impacts the well-being of humans, plants, and animals through:

new or improved medical devices and diagnostics

more effective and safer pharmaceuticals

new or improved bio-based industrial products

new and safer foods

preservation and enhancement of natural resources and the environment.

Basically, he wants to come up with new types of fertilizers, herbacides and pesticides that are safer without harming or limiting crop yield so it fits: i.e. New ways to improve human/animal/plant life. As far as nanobiology, calculus, physics, hydrotranfer, blah blah blah.....I'm lost. :)

Awesome! Go Cornell! Loved it there.

Go Big Red!!

Congratulations to him and you! PM me in a few years as the R&D branch of the company I work for is always looking for top people with this type of degree.

Thanks Info...much appreciated.

They engineer super powerful strains of marijuana in their dorm room.

...if NY legalizes it, I could see them actually doing this (as funny as that sounds). Maybe not super-potent, but decreased potency or being able to control potency (like alcohol content maybe).

Nice mead. My son had it narrowed down to Clarkson or UB if Cornell didn't work out. Clarkson is a great school.

My brother is in aeronautical engineering there. Excellent school. Congrats to you and especially your son. Ivy league is quite an achievement.

My brother is in aeronautical engineering there. Excellent school. Congrats to you and especially your son. Ivy league is quite an achievement.

That's one program that always intrigued me...they have a great department there (based on reviews I read). He'll do well upon graduation.