Best supermarket in the USA? Wegman's, of course.

Shopped at Wegmans today, tried to pay with credit card, and it wouldn't work. The credit card system for all the stores in the Syracuse area went down. All the lines were backed up. You could only pay with cash or debit, which I didn't have. They wouldn't credit me so I could pay next time, even though I've shopped there weekly for years. There was a line of people at the ATM getting cash. Of course there was a $1 fee which I asked to have taken off my food bill, but they didn't do it. I might give Tops or Price Chopper a try next week.

Shopped at Wegmans today, tried to pay with credit card, and it wouldn't work. The credit card system for all the stores in the Syracuse area went down. All the lines were backed up. You could only pay with cash or debit, which I didn't have. They wouldn't credit me so I could pay next time, even though I've shopped there weekly for years. There was a line of people at the ATM getting cash. Of course there was a $1 fee which I asked to have taken off my food bill, but they didn't do it. I might give Tops or Price Chopper a try next week.

Your level of expectation for a grocery store is pretty high

Let me know if Topps or Price Chopper offers to 'credit you' so you can pay next time...unfortunately things happen in this day and age of modern technology and 'convenience'. I had a situation a couple months ago where my card was being declined at the wegmans checkout line despite having used it 10 minutes ago at the coffee counter. I knew i had money in my account but it just kept getting declined...didn't see anyone else having a similar issue...went to customer service tried it there, still nothing...noticed the atm next to the counter, went to see if i could pull out the cash to pay...yup, no issues, got the cash, sucked up the ATM fee paid and went about my business. No biggie, i continue to shop primarily at wegmans....