Source: Bills interested in former Bears C Roberto Garza

Mmmm.

There's a common phenomenon called "I know the guy" syndrome. It has hindered teams in the past, including the Bills. Example: When George Edwards was DC, he brought in a bunch of D players (LB) who were guys he knew from Miami. When Chan coached the Sr bowl, we drafted a lot of kids who participated that year.

It typically, IMO, highlights a deficiency in talent evaluation (pro talent scouting, typically) and/or a lack of faith in the scouts, which leads to the perception that the best acquisition is a guy that's a known quantity to the coach, rather than (say) looking at the top 3 or 4 guys at that position who emerge from a league-wide talent assessment.

I thought we were past that at OBD. But I do have a "?" pencilled in next to "OL scouting" in my OBD evaluation.

You just can't build a team full of top talent that way.

I don't get the impression that they are looking at bringing in Garza in lieu of bringing in one of the top 3 or 4 guys at the position. Two separate things. They do know him and a known commodity can be helpful as a depth player who knows a new scheme being installed and can be a benefit in the film room and practice and suit up in a pinch. It's why mike Pettine is trying to still coax jimmy Leonard out of retiring. He knows him, he trusts him, he adds value toward what he's trying to build with some young guys.

The Bills have young depth players already and I am sure if they do bring in Garza they won't be putting their feet up satisfied with the OL.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me your address and I'll send you the game tapes I been watching. Will that be good enough for you?

sorry for asking how you came to the conclusion that he cant play? i figure if you did, surely you could speak further on the issue, as im actually curious. didnt mean to single you out in the crowd of people saying it - yours was just the last in the thread. seems a fair question since we have seen the conclusion echoed repeatedly, but with little of the work up to get to it expressed. is he not moving well, is he getting overpowered, a nagging injury that is just not healing with age?

Edited by NoSaint

Do we have an assistant O-line coach? The wording implies career, not necessarily playing career. Don't need over the hill vets IMHO.

yeah that's what I'm thinking, an assistant OL coach

sorry for asking how you came to the conclusion that he cant play? i figure if you did, surely you could speak further on the issue, as im actually curious. didnt mean to single you out in the crowd of people saying it - yours was just the last in the thread. seems a fair question since we have seen the conclusion echoed repeatedly, but with little of the work up to get to it expressed. is he not moving well, is he getting overpowered, a nagging injury that is just not healing with age?

Agree, it's a fair question. I'm one of those questioning if he can play and I'll "Cowboy Up", I have nothing observational, I'm just going by comments in the media that his play had fallen off last season and particularly in pass protection, plus his age. But I daresay the Chicago media isn't any better than ours so it could all be hooey or just a "changed regime, wants new players" kind of thing.

Move Glenn to WR! Move Urbik to QB! ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED! #IshouldbeaGM

I like the way you think.

I don't get the impression that they are looking at bringing in Garza in lieu of bringing in one of the top 3 or 4 guys at the position. Two separate things. They do know him and a known commodity can be helpful as a depth player who knows a new scheme being installed and can be a benefit in the film room and practice and suit up in a pinch. It's why mike Pettine is trying to still coax jimmy Leonard out of retiring. He knows him, he trusts him, he adds value toward what he's trying to build with some young guys.

The Bills have young depth players already and I am sure if they do bring in Garza they won't be putting their feet up satisfied with the OL.

Well, there are a bunch of guys still out there in FA. Perhaps I'm just touchy, from years of Bills bringing in cr**.

Edited by Hopeful

Agree, it's a fair question. I'm one of those questioning if he can play and I'll "Cowboy Up", I have nothing observational, I'm just going by comments in the media that his play had fallen off last season and particularly in pass protection, plus his age. But I daresay the Chicago media isn't any better than ours so it could all be hooey or just a "changed regime, wants new players" kind of thing.

I like the way you think.

Well, there are a bunch of guys still out there in FA. Perhaps I'm just touchy, from years of Bills bringing in cr**.

the asking price might be too high at this point for the FAs still out there. Future cuts would be more likely to bring a vet to the table on a cheaper deal. I think they will wait and see what they get in the draft and go from there.

the asking price might be too high at this point for the FAs still out there. Future cuts would be more likely to bring a vet to the table on a cheaper deal. I think they will wait and see what they get in the draft and go from there.

Yolo,

This is how I interpreted this as well......

A guy like Robert Garza could provide you cheap veteran death at two different spots on the O line......and frankly....Robert Garza if he wants to play football would be just fine for a year because

a. he is a tough SOB

b. His has a work ethic that you WISHED some certain young overweight O linemen on our team SHOULD have

I would welcome him

A possibility I didn't see mentioned: maybe it was a simple call to say "hey we don't have a need now but if we get an injury and you are planning on staying in game shape you would be my first call- what do you think?"

This would make sense.

Yolo,

A guy like Robert Garza could provide you cheap veteran death at two different spots on the O line......and frankly....Robert Garza if he wants to play football would be just fine for a year because

a. he is a tough SOB

b. His has a work ethic that you WISHED some certain young overweight O linemen on our team SHOULD have

I would welcome him

If that is true I don't want any part of him. Anyone that provides death should be avoided.

Edited by Rockinon

Just because a guy is aging, and his play might be in decline, it doesn't mean that he can't have any value. He could be as good, for one year (one which you are banking on making a playoff run), as a young guy who is still learning to play in the league. I don't think bringing in experience, in an are where depth is thin, is a bad idea at all. The Bears O-Line was awful the last two years or so...doesn't necessarily mean that all the parts were busted. Bears fans certainly loved the guy!

Just because a guy is aging, and his play might be in decline, it doesn't mean that he can't have any value. He could be as good, for one year (one which you are banking on making a playoff run), as a young guy who is still learning to play in the league. I don't think bringing in experience, in an are where depth is thin, is a bad idea at all. The Bears O-Line was awful the last two years or so...doesn't necessarily mean that all the parts were busted. Bears fans certainly loved the guy!

kyle long attributed his growth as a player to Garza

They should try to get Brian De La Puente from the Bears. He was at NO for four years, and last year filled in for Garza at Center, then popped his ankle and went on IR in November. He's a FA.

De La Puente is much better at this point of his career then Garza. He's 6 yrs younger then Garza and he was rated 7th, 12th and 16th amongst centers the past 3 seasons according to PFF ratings. He would come cheap also. I wonder why there hasn't been any interest from the a Bills considering the connection to Kromer. Btw De La Puente is also known for being a fantastic run blocker.

Yolo,

a. he is a tough SOB

I would welcome him

Well, the Bills are starting to get up against the cap so maybe they can offer some kind special contract where he will be on the roster this year & then become a coach for the next few years.

De La Puente is much better at this point of his career then Garza. He's 6 yrs younger then Garza and he was rated 7th, 12th and 16th amongst centers the past 3 seasons according to PFF ratings. He would come cheap also. I wonder why there hasn't been any interest from the a Bills considering the connection to Kromer. Btw De La Puente is also known for being a fantastic run blocker.

My mother in law can take them both with one hand :blush:

It is certainly a fair question in lieu of the fact that his former OL coach is here now. He probably saw more of Garza's play last year than anyone (including Garza). He must see something...