Article: Quit Sleeping on EJ Manuel

I think Rex and co will want a vet who isn't gonna panic and has experience with pre-snap reads. If the competition is close, Cassel will get the nod.

I don't expect the competition to be close. If it is, I fully expect EJ to get the nod. Cassel is a career backup for a reason. Forcing him into a starting role wouldn't be smart for Rex.

That said .... If Cassel does somehow do better than EJ throughout the competition, then so be it. Rex is going to put the QB out there who gives us the best chance to win.

I just want SOMEONE to emerge as the hands-down "winner" of the position. I'd prefer that person to be EJ, but I just want the Bills to win games, so if it's Cassel, then go Cassel.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that may end up to be the case, and wouldn't surprise me. At least this year, Cassel will have gone through TC vs. Orton going in cold.

Orton never went anywhere cold. Whiskey has some great warming powers.

I don't expect the competition to be close. If it is, I fully expect EJ to get the nod. Cassel is a career backup for a reason. Forcing him into a starting role wouldn't be smart for Rex.

That said .... If Cassel does somehow do better than EJ throughout the competition, then so be it. Rex is going to put the QB out there who gives us the best chance to win.

I just want SOMEONE to emerge as the hands-down "winner" of the position. I'd prefer that person to be EJ, but I just want the Bills to win games, so if it's Cassel, then go Cassel.

I doubt someone emerges.

I think Rex and co will want a vet who isn't gonna panic and has experience with pre-snap reads. If the competition is close, Cassel will get the nod.

Since his last good season, Cassel has thrown 30 tds and 34 ints. I think Rex Ryan would value a qb that doesn't have more turnovers than tds.

I agree with all this. I've seen the Cassel show. It was Kyle Orton last year. And Kelly Holcomb.

Didn't we beat the Chiefs like 47-7 with Cassel? People want that guy to start?

Maybe I'm weird, but I feel like if a rookie/young QB is playing at the same, or close to, the same level as a vet QB, you play the young guy to see if he can develop into something more.

You can always switch to Matt Cassel. That's what he is there for. He is the chubby girl at bar close. EJ is the hot chick who may have STDs.

Since his last good season, Cassel has thrown 30 tds and 34 ints. I think Rex Ryan would value a qb that doesn't have more turnovers than tds.

Since his last good season. Rex might want a QB who has had a good season before.

Maybe I'm weird, but I feel like if a rookie/young QB is playing at the same, or close to, the same level as a vet QB, you play the young guy to see if he can develop into something more.

But that's just making the throws. Not the vet presence/experience on gameday. Edited by FireChan

Since his last good season. Rex might want a QB who has had a good season before.

This guy. You're right. Some other guys who were good in 2010: Josh Freeman and Matt Schaub.

But Cassel is such a superior talent let's ignore a steady decline for 4 years.

Did you replace your Orton poster with a Cassel one yet?

But that's just making the throws. Not the vet presence/experience on gameday.

"Playing at the same, or close to, the same level" is not just throws, and nowhere did I infer such a message.

If the results of the offense/game are similar, I'm going to play the younger guy because developing a QB is a very important part of long term success in this league. Whether that's EJ, Tyrod, Tuel, or some new rookie, I don't really care that much.

That is just crazy talk. :D

"Playing at the same, or close to, the same level" is not just throws, and nowhere did I infer such a message.

If the results of the offense/game are similar, I'm going to play the younger guy because developing a QB is a very important part of long term success in this league. Whether that's EJ, Tyrod, Tuel, or some new rookie, I don't really care that much.

I assumed the competition would be close to over by preseason.

This guy. You're right. Some other guys who were good in 2010: Josh Freeman and Matt Schaub.

But Cassel is such a superior talent let's ignore a steady decline for 4 years.

Did you replace your Orton poster with a Cassel one yet?

Please don't take this so personally. It will be so much easier. Edited by FireChan

You're not weird and are probably correct the vast majority of times this situation crops up. The issue with EJ and Meh (imo) comes down to dependability and the state of the roster. This roster is built to win at least 10 games this year, there's no time to develop him or see what they got in him once the real bullets start flying. Meh might not be great, but he's a much more accomplished game manager than EJ at this point, which makes him the safer bet (again, assuming they play to a tie in camp).

Then again, maybe Rex and Roman won't be as conventional as I assume when it comes down to the QB position.

You're not weird and are probably correct the vast majority of times this situation crops up. The issue with EJ and Meh (imo) comes down to dependability and the state of the roster. This roster is built to win at least 10 games this year, there's no time to develop him or see what they got in him once the real bullets start flying. Meh might not be great, but he's a much more accomplished game manager than EJ at this point, which makes him the safer bet (again, assuming they play to a tie in camp).

Then again, maybe Rex and Roman won't be as conventional as I assume when it comes down to the QB position.

Cassel has a career record of 33-38 and has gone 12-17 in his last 4 years. It's a team stat but given that the defense blew 3 4th quarter leads in Manuel starts (ATL, Cle, NE) that resulted in losses, he had a 6-8 record instead of a 8-6 or 9-5 record.

There is this myth that Cassel is the safer choice. There is nothing in the last 4 years of Cassel's career to indicate this.

Cassel has a career record of 33-38 and has gone 12-17 in his last 4 years. It's a team stat but given that the defense blew 3 4th quarter leads in Manuel starts (ATL, Cle, NE) that resulted in losses, he had a 6-8 record instead of a 8-6 or 9-5 record.

There is this myth that Cassel is the safer choice. There is nothing in the last 4 years of Cassel's career to indicate this.

It's not a myth. Cassel is a much more known commodity than EJ in the NFL at this point in their careers. I'm hoping EJ wins the competition outright in camp, I'd be much more enthused headed into the season with EJ as the starter than Cassel. However, I want what's best for the team above all else. Unless EJ takes a major step and shows unequivocally that he's advanced as a QB in the NFL, he's a much bigger "risk" than Cassel. Cassel's numbers might be on the decline (it's not as open and shut as you're presenting it, but I concede you might be correct) but he's shown more in the league than EJ, more importantly he's shown more abilities to be a game manager when he's surrounded by talent.

Whoever the QB is, they're going to be surrounded by endless weapons. If the line can keep him upright, all we need our QB to do this year is hit the occasional play action pass to keep defenses honest (something EJ does better than Cassel) and deliver consistently good 5-12 yard passes in stride to our weapons (something Cassel does better than EJ).

(this is based on speculation about what Roman's system will look like. truth is we won't really know until August rolls around what kind of system he's going to be leaning on.)

It's not a myth. Cassel is a much more known commodity than EJ in the NFL at this point in their careers. I'm hoping EJ wins the competition outright in camp, I'd be much more enthused headed into the season with EJ as the starter than Cassel. However, I want what's best for the team above all else. Unless EJ takes a major step and shows unequivocally that he's advanced as a QB in the NFL, he's a much bigger "risk" than Cassel. Cassel's numbers might be on the decline (it's not as open and shut as you're presenting it, but I concede you might be correct) but he's shown more in the league than EJ, more importantly he's shown more abilities to be a game manager when he's surrounded by talent.

Whoever the QB is, they're going to be surrounded by endless weapons. If the line can keep him upright, all we need our QB to do this year is hit the occasional play action pass to keep defenses honest (something EJ does better than Cassel) and deliver consistently good 5-12 yard passes in stride to our weapons (something Cassel does better than EJ).

(this is based on speculation about what Roman's system will look like. truth is we won't really know until August rolls around what kind of system he's going to be leaning on.)

:thumbsup: