"The Poor Are Treated Like Animals"

There should be shame associated with being able bodied, but not being able to support yourself, and given that you are only able to survive because of publicly funded dollars; your shaming should be public.

Don't like it? Stop doing something shameful.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

This is actually against my libertarian side of me and I know is something that some of the conservatives are also opposed to but I think it's perfectly reasonable to limit the food/drink choices available from EBT. I don't believe cookies, chips, sodas and energy drinks should be part of the menu of choices provided by the government. Many of the very same individuals who are receiving these benefits are also on Medicaid, and we know for a fact that the consumption of cookies, chips and sodas increase the odds of gaining weight and adverse health conditions such as heart disease, which is one of the largest contributing causes to skyrocketing healthcare costs.

It's one thing if you choose what you'd like with your own money, but to buy products that not only deteriorate your own health which really isn't my concern as much as the burden it puts on the state/government medicaid funded budget is something that I believe is reasonable to be vigilant about.

In regards to drug testing people on EBT. Well, I believe if you have someone who is habitually on EBT, I think it's perfectly reasonable to require them to periodic unannounced drug testing. It provides incentive to be less unproductive. I have no problem with that.

Edited by Magox

There should be shame associated with being able bodied, but not being able to support yourself, and given that you are only able to survive becuase of publicly funded dollars; your shaming should be public.

I was going to say to be fair she did say she was disabled but then I noticed in the by line it said she was a writer. So I looked her up and she has a couple books for sale on Amazon. Now I know you don't make a lot of money writing books but there are plenty of other ways to use your writing skills to make money. She's just a big fat whiner at this point IMO.

this is total bs. doesn't help the goal of evening out the drastic wealth disparity in this country one little bit. she's a whiner, plain and simple. she wants everything for nothing, no questions asked…and this plays right into a too often true stereotype. why shouldn't food purchases be restricted to healthy foods with foods likely to cost those paying the healthcare bills down the road even more being disallowed?. this is a p.o.s column.

Edited by birdog1960

This is actually against my libertarian side of me and I know is something that some of the conservatives are also opposed to but I think it's perfectly reasonable to limit the food/drink choices available from EBT. I don't believe cookies, chips, sodas and energy drinks should be part of the menu of choices provided by the government. Many of the very same individuals who are receiving these benefits are also on Medicaid, and we know for a fact that the consumption of cookies, chips and sodas increase the odds of gaining weight and adverse health conditions such as heart disease, which is one of the largest contributing causes to skyrocketing healthcare costs.

Yes

I was going to say to be fair she did say she was disabled but then I noticed in the by line it said she was a writer. So I looked her up and she has a couple books for sale on Amazon. Now I know you don't make a lot of money writing books but there are plenty of other ways to use your writing skills to make money. She's just a big fat whiner at this point IMO.

Being disabled, as it applies to this woman, is a choice.

True story: the head of the Rhode Island Department of Disability was a quadriplegic who never himself applied for benefits, because he was able to work and provide for himself.

There should be shame associated with being able bodied, but not being able to support yourself, and given that you are only able to survive because of publicly funded dollars; your shaming should be public.

Bingo. 50 years ago there was that kind of shame and as a result people worked hard to avoid it. Today we don't celebrate excellence and achievement, we celebrate victimhood (and usually as defined by the self-anointed victim).

This is the most telling line (at least before I got bored and stopped reading):

Who are these people, and what makes them think that what we eat is their business?

Well gee, maybe they are the people who had money they worked to earn taken from them by the government and given to you for energy drinks, cookies and tortilla chips.

Glad to see states beginning to make common sense reforms to these runaway entitlements.

Such a outdated notion isn't it? Do you ever hear anyone talk about shame, pride or personal dignity anymore? As KDinCt mentioned it's all about victimization. Once you accept the idea of being a victim it's a small step to accepting dependency. Being dependent on the government is the plan.

Edited by Dante

Gator says they are treated like Animals

The Author says they are treated like Criminals

Thus all animals are criminals...................... :rolleyes:

By the by Ms. Lister , if you REALLY want to see the "look of pure hatred"...................forget the EBT card,

just carry a baby in a car seat onto a plane

Gator says they are treated like Animals

The Author says they are treated like Criminals

Thus all animals are criminals...................... :rolleyes:

Of course, gatortard and the author miss the whole point....they aren't "treated" any way at all. Nobody deserves a handout, but handouts are given by the grace of other people. Those people have ever right to put reasonable parameters around how those handouts are given. Don't want people telling you what you can buy or not buy? Then use your own !@#$ing money.

The more idiots amp up their entitled attitude, the more they can expect to be hated.

i realize you all think i'm soft but i deal with this on a daily basis. a medicaid patient complaining that such-and-such drug isn't covered by their insurance. and i dutifully but emphatically explain that it isn't covered by mine either. and while i can afford it, i wouldn't choose to buy it cuz the alternative is just as good and a 10th the price. and they look at me like i'm taking food from their mouths. i'm all for a fairly generous safety net but those at risk really shouldn't be flying recklessly in the first place.

The only thing that irritates me about an EBT card being presented in the grocery store is when the holder argues with the clerk about what is and isn't eligible, i.e., smokes and beer. "Why can't I buy beer with it, I did last week...."

i realize you all think i'm soft but i deal with this on a daily basis. a medicaid patient complaining that such-and-such drug isn't covered by their insurance. and i dutifully but emphatically explain that it isn't covered by mine either. and while i can afford it, i wouldn't choose to buy it cuz the alternative is just as good and a 10th the price. and they look at me like i'm taking food from their mouths. i'm all for a fairly generous safety net but those at risk really shouldn't be flying recklessly in the first place.

What have you done with our birdog and can you keep him there?