New Rule---Who will be first to Exploit it

plenzmd1

We have us a medical timeout now. Oh boy.

I can see it now, Bills up by 6 with 23 seconds to play opening Thursday, Pats have the ball with no timeouts left .

Brady throws to Edelman over the middle and he gets tackled at the Bills 24 and comes up and stumbles around a bit and looks woozy, but heads back toward line of scrimmage to get lined for next play.

Medical guys call down for an evaluation cause he looked woozy,clock stops i assume, and now Pats have time to huddle up , call next two plays, etc and instead of only having time for one more play they get two in..and score on the 2nd.

Now, if the rule contains a provision like the current rule does for injuries in last two minutes, spose I can live with it.

Also, does the player that is being evaluated have to miss a play, even if it is discerned no medical/ cognitive problems?

You all just know with Edelman and Amendola already having histories...Belichek going to use this loop hole like a champ.

Edited by plenzmd1

I can see it now, Bills up by 6 with 23 seconds to play opening Thursday, Pats have the ball with no timeouts left .

Brady throws to Edelman over the middle and he gets tackled at the Bills 24 and comes up and stumbles around a bit and looks woozy, but heads back toward line of scrimmage to get lined for next play.

Medical guys call down for an evaluation cause he looked woozy,clock stops i assume, and now Pats have time to huddle up , call next two plays, etc and instead of only having time for one more play they get two in..and score on the 2nd.

Now, if the rule contains a provision like the current rule does for injuries in last two minutes, spose I can live with it.

Also, does the player that is being evaluated have to miss a play, even if it is discerned no medical/ cognitive problems?

You all just know with Edelman and Amendola already having histories...Belichek going to use this loop hole like a champ.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read it. There has to be a similar stipulation as for the injury rule, though. Too much opportunity for exploitation.

If they are going to give teams an extra time out for medical reasons the player should have to miss the rest of the quarter, not just a single play. And yeah, it shouldn't work in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Pete Carrol on just now on Kirwins show

not exact quote, but close

Miller: Pete, is there a chance this rule could be exploited for gain

Pete: If theres a way, we will figure it out. (talking about coaches)

Oh boy, they really better be on the mark with this rule..its wording, its implementation, its enforcement.

Cause if i am the medical at the game, I have to err on the side of caution no????

If you are taken out for concussion symptoms you aren't supposed to be able to come back in.

So I have no issues with the rule. Teams have not been following protocol on this.

How about this though, teams should have to identify players that show symptoms, if not and the ref has to stop the game that team gets a 15 yard penalty?

Edited by TheTruthHurts

A Buffalo Bills message board should be the last place anyone complains about using fake injuries to stop the clock.

Our early 90's teams were notorious for exactly that.

It's not injuries really it's concussions. A player would have to fake a concussion, which would take him out of the game.

A Buffalo Bills message board should be the last place anyone complains about using fake injuries to stop the clock.

Our early 90's teams were notorious for exactly that.

Hunh???? WTF you talking bout Willis????

In 88, Levy said he might fake injuies as he felt the Bengals no huddle was not fair...never happened and i never remember it happening...but i could be wrong

Hunh???? WTF you talking bout Willis????

In 88, Levy said he might fake injuies as he felt the Bengals no huddle was not fair...never happened and i never remember it happening...but i could be wrong

Our defenders used to fake injuries all the time in order to get breathers because our offense would get off the field so fast.

It used to draw the ire of other teams coaching staffs all the time.

Our defenders used to fake injuries all the time in order to get breathers because our offense would get off the field so fast.

It used to draw the ire of other teams coaching staffs all the time.

I dont remember that at all...any links or anything like that?

All they're doing is taking it out of the players' hands (or at least add an extra layer of oversight) which is probably not a bad idea seeing how many players try to tough it out through obvious concussions. A player can already fake an injury to stop the clock, so as long as the new rule contains the same time run off at the end of the half / game (hopefully it does?) I don't see the difference.

All they're doing is taking it out of the players' hands (or at least add an extra layer of oversight) which is probably not a bad idea seeing how many players try to tough it out through obvious concussions. A player can already fake an injury to stop the clock, so as long as the new rule contains the same time run off at the end of the half / game (hopefully it does?) I don't see the difference.

Well, the time run off is the key. Cause if i am a coach with no timeouts left in at end of game, i am telling a guy getting tackled in middle of field to duck his head, come up, wobble a bit but head towards LOS. Free timeout. What medical is not going to call for a halt in play if a guy wobbles?

Growing up in New England, it was talked about on the local broadcast all the time. I have no links to share, only my personal experiences.

Thats funny, never once heard that, nor remember it. Interesting

I would think that with 24 seconds left, there is already time for 2 more plays without the injury stoppage. Those 2 plays are already in the QBs head. Unless the woozy guy is wandering around for a long time so they can't line up, not sure what changes.

I would think that with 24 seconds left, there is already time for 2 more plays without the injury stoppage. Those 2 plays are already in the QBs head. Unless the woozy guy is wandering around for a long time so they can't line up, not sure what changes.

Missing the point as usual, lets say instead of 24 i said 12...make it better for you? Now do you see a problem?

The issue is getting a stoppage of the clock by acting "woozy" ..when that team has no other way to stop the clock.