Countdown: *Tank is Over!*

QCity

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic number has dropped from 7 to 5 with that OT loss!

Edit: According to Sports Club Stats, tonight's loss also increased our chances to 95%, up from 88%.

Edited by QCity

While not mathematically eliminated, their odds of finishing last are so low it's not worth mentioning.

And yet Edmonton is only one point ahead of Arizona. Says a lot about the Coyotes chances as well, doesn't it?

And yet Edmonton is only one point ahead of Arizona. Says a lot about the Coyotes chances as well, doesn't it?

Well, after tonight's game, yes. But if things went differently tonight and somehow won in regulation, we would have had to sweat the next meetup in Arizona. Now, it's not really that big of a deal.

I think Sports Club Stats 95% chance is spot-on. It's going to take a shocking turn of events for us to blow the tank now.

Basically, the magic number is now representing how much longer we have to wait until we can all put this behind us, and start rooting 100% for the Sabres again.

My head is spinning trying to think in reverse. What would it have been if they lost in reg tonight?

Would have been a 7 pt spread in the standings, magic number would have still been 5.

Well, after tonight's game, yes. But if things went differently tonight and somehow won in regulation, we would have had to sweat the next meetup in Arizona. Now, it's not really that big of a deal.

I think Sports Club Stats 95% chance is spot-on. It's going to take a shocking turn of events for us to blow the tank now.

Basically, the magic number is now representing how much longer we have to wait until we can all put this behind us, and start rooting 100% for the Sabres again.

Would have been a 7 pt spread in the standings, magic number would have still been 5.

Thanx! Gr8... So getting that one extra point in a 3 point game wasn't hurting. I guess we are keeping it honest! :worthy:

I've been following McEichel.com on twitter. So, I thought this was the magic number?:

McEichel.com ‏@McEicheldotCom 3h3 hours ago

With another point gained by the #Coyotes and a point lost by the #Sabres, Buffalo's magic number is now 11.

That "5" is games lost in regulation. 11 would be right. Thats points. 2 pts. a game. That's like 5.5 games. Can't lose 1/2 a game, unless you count getting 1pt. in OT/SO.

I just looked at the standings, and I think it's 11. If the Coyotes don't win another game, and the Sabres "lost out" on only 7 points, that means they would end up with 11 more points, blowing past the Coyotes who are only 5 ahead of us.

If we lost out on 11 points, that would let us only get 7 points out of the 18 available left, and the Coyotes could lose every game, and it would be tie, and we'd have the tie breaker.

But, i did see others on twitter saying 7. Where is that number coming from?

Wait, I keep saying 7, and now I see the number above is 5. That makes even less sense to me.

I just looked at the standings, and I think it's 11. If the Coyotes don't win another game, and the Sabres "lost out" on only 7 points, that means they would end up with 11 more points, blowing past the Coyotes who are only 5 ahead of us.

If we lost out on 11 points, that would let us only get 7 points out of the 18 available left, and the Coyotes could lose every game, and it would be tie, and we'd have the tie breaker.

But, i did see others on twitter saying 7. Where is that number coming from?

Wait, I keep saying 7, and now I see the number above is 5. That makes even less sense to me.

The magic number can be stated in two ways:

5 -- as in regulation losses by the Sabres to clinch

11 -- as in points not earned by the Sabres to clinch

Both are accurate. Personally I prefer the points reference, since it takes into account non-regulation results.

Jeremy White is saying it's 10 points lost, not 11...because the Sabres own the tiebreaker. And an OT/SO loss is only one point lost, not two.

Edited by eball

Jeremy White is saying it's 10 points lost, not 11...because the Sabres own the tiebreaker. And an OT/SO loss is only one point lost, not two.

Can't wait to listen to them later this morning, I really enjoy that show.

Edited by plenzmd1

Realistically it is 10, but technically it is 11. It is mathematically possible for us to catch them in the tiebreaker and finish tied. The only way that happens is if we win most of our games without shootouts and Arizona loses most of their games in OT. So it requires both teams to take a good portion of the remaining points, which is why it is such a longshot.

Look out for Toronto if you're Edmonton, they are in a full sprint tank mode. i can see them finishing 3rd...

I've really tried to keep this as simple as possible, but you guys are making this more complicated than it should be. To quote the original post:

(i.e. 5 losses in regulation guarantees the Sabres McEichel)

Typically magic numbers are based on wins (but in this case we are using losses) and they represent the number of outcomes (not points) to reach a certain goal . You can use points, but bringing them into the mix adds an extra layer of confusion that is somewhat unnecessary.

We are rooting for the Sabres to lose. As of today, we need to lose 5 more games. That's it.

Some other factoids:

When the magic number gets down to 1, it may be possible to clinch last place with an OT loss. If that is the case, I will update the thread to say so.

It is not mandatory for us to lose 5 games, we can go on a winning streak and still clinch last as long as ARI, EDM and TOR go on similar winning streaks.

The magic number may go down even after a Sabres win, providing the other teams around us win.

The Buffalo Bills magic number to win the AFC East is currently 16.