Thoughts whilst enjoying a homemade burger

Beerball

Put the condiments on the bottom of the bun, not the top. Put things like onion & cheese on top.

Never put mustard on a burger, it doesn't belong.

Ketchup is for babies.

A nice perfectly cut thin slice of onion can't be beat.

A little horseradish mixed in with the meat is a nice touch.

A dash or more of worchestershire or teriyaki is good too.

Screw the 80/20 BS, 90/10 is great.

I will rarely get a restaurant burger with bacon, never at home. IMO it overpowers the burger. If I wanted a bacon sandwich I'd make one.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80/20 is perfect for a burger. Don't care for 90/10 or higher.

Ketchup is fine as part of a condiment combo, but my last burger had a cucumber wasabi sauce that was wonderful.

Agreed on the onions and bacon......a burger must have onions. Bacon is awful on a burger.

I'm 80/20, cus I'm cheap. Condiments on bottom bun is what quitters do. Agree with onion slice. Never thought of mixing horseradish in the meat, thanks for the suggestion, 99% of the time my ground beef gets some w-sauce. Only use ketchup on regular cheese burger. No cheese I do hot sauce or chunky salsa or chili sauce. Never, never bad mouth bacon...EVER. be happy we have it to use.

I agree (scary) on the onion and no mustard. The one item I add though is my wife's homemade Bread and Butter pickles...lots of them. Good eats.

You will bring some for me to try at the opener.

That's right people, I'm going to sample Fergy's pickle!

I'm 80/20, cus I'm cheap. Condiments on bottom bun is what quitters do. Agree with onion slice. Never thought of mixing horseradish in the meat, thanks for the suggestion, 99% of the time my ground beef gets some w-sauce. Only use ketchup on regular cheese burger. No cheese I do hot sauce or chunky salsa or chili sauce. Never, never bad mouth bacon...EVER. be happy we have it to use.

I dunno Pooj, condiment on top (I'm just talking some type of spread) doesn't allow it to come in contact with the burger.

Worcestershire is a key a ingredient to a burger.

Burger has to have cheese.

Doesn't matter where the condiments go.

Little tiny caramelized onions is better than raw onion but raw onion is better than no onion.

I wish I could reverse engineer McDonalds pickle slices.

Beef, mustard and bacon is an AMAZING combination. See Rouladen

80/20 is perfect beef for grilling a burger

Cheese on top and bottom

Horseradish in the burger, along with fresh garlic, is excellent.

Nothing wrong with ketchup, mustard or bacon, IMO.

What about a nice relish? And some peppers? Yes.

I like a little mayo on each bun, as well.

Condiments on top, to me, are a must.

As is a lightly toasted bun.

Order of preference for burger preparation

charcoal grill> cast iron skillet> gas grill> non stick skillet

And its close, real damn close, between the charcoal and cast iron.

Love Webers on a burger.

No Bacon

Buttered, grilled, bun.

Mayonnaise below burger to keep bun crisp.

Gotta have onion. A slice if grilled. If fried in a cast iron skillet (Anything else is sacrilege), I like to do it White Castle style and fry the burger with diced onion. And I second the Buttered, Grilled bun. Mine would have to be a Gluten free bun, but it is still damn good.

Grade A Wisconsin Cheddar

No bacon, and I love my burgers with Mayo.

Whole grain buns

NEVER fried.

Honey mustard on one side of the bun and spicy mustard on the other.

91% 9% meat.

Swiss cheese

Grilled onions even grilled red peppers.

Lite mayo on the meat

Roma tomatoes.

No lettuce have a spinach salad instead.

Ocasional sugar free sweet relish.

My go to burgers are 85/15% meat. Grilled medium.

Sautéed mushrooms and onions on the side.

Put the mushrooms and onions on the burger then melt two slices of cheese over it to hold everything together.

Put whatever the hell you want on the bun, but that burger doesn't really need anything else I'm tellin ya.

If you want to go raw onion (which is a good option any time) then I like a piece of unmelted cheese to go with it.

beer, if you come to the opener - as in, you have no choice. so, when i see you at the opener - i'll make sure you make some good burgers with some good meat next time. any time any of ya'll are thru the central carolina region, give me a heads up and you can stop by and get some stuffs.

i don't want to seem like i am peddling my stuff on here but, well, ya know... if you want it, i'll make sure you can get it. one fellow board member got home to the north east with some good stuff!

When I was a wee lad working at Wendy's, the one lesson they taught me was to never combine mustard and bacon on a burger. I have never forgotten that wise lesson.

When I was a wee lad working at Burger King the one lesson they taught me was to never combined mustard and mayonaise on a burger. I have never forgotten that lesson.