I'm getting tired of this "Backup QB" stuff...

MY Uncle could be the #2 qb for all I care. Rather than wring hands about who will step in, better to stock up on OL's, have a spiffy game plan, and given the investment in JP, give him the camp and the snaps and see if it works out. It's time to move on.

For a backup, can DB, keep Matthews or whoever. It's a rare occurance when a #2 saves a season, anyway, or gets your team into the playoffs... :blink:

Folks here have too strong a memory of the critical role Frank Reich played for this team to disregard the import of having a credible back-up QB. In the modern world, one need only look at the 2002/03/04 results of Atlanta and NYJ where they made the playoffs behind Vick and Pennington, they miss the playoffs the next year when neither team had an effective plan B behind these starting QBs and the next year the two QBs are back and both teams make the playoffs.

Your Uncle may be a nice guy, but the Bills need a credible back-up QB to be considered a contender in this league and particularly since Matthews it is said in the media is retiring and won't be around next year, the back-up QB question is a big one for us Bills worshippers.

As far as OL, I think this all comes down to whether we resign JJ or not. Since he likely will command a contract arounf the $5 million annual freigh pedestrian talents like Clifton or Petitgout got at LT, if the Bills do this this hit combined with a $5.8 million MW 05 hit will make it unlikely that we are going to improve the OL with new talent but with JMac squeezing some additional production and development out of Tucker or Smith.

The math simply makes things tough.

MY Uncle could be the #2 qb for all I care. Rather than wring hands about who will step in, better to stock up on OL's, have a spiffy game plan, and given the investment in JP, give him the camp and the snaps and see if it works out. It's time to move on.

For a backup, can DB, keep Matthews or whoever.  It's a rare occurance when a #2 saves a season, anyway, or gets your team into the playoffs... :w00t:

231740[/snapback]

Right on! Willis had many tackles for no gain or big losses. I don't think JP will have time to chuck the ball right now as it stands. Seeing him scramble on 50% of pass attempts won't get us into the playoffs; or if it does we won't go far!

Right on!  Willis had many tackles for no gain or big losses.  I don't think JP will have time to chuck the ball right now as it stands.  Seeing him scramble on 50% of pass attempts won't get us into the playoffs; or if it does we won't go far!

231980[/snapback]

The last thing you want to do is start out 0-4, play horrible most weeks and miss the playoffs.

Hey, wait a minute, that describes Bledsoe. :w00t:

It seems, as usual, several of you are missing the point here.

Cincy, I completely agree that there is nothing more important to the Bills this offseason than vastly upgrading the o-line.

232223[/snapback]

I think we all agree on the point that the OL should be upgraded and most ous even agree that the OL play must be upgraded i we are to win. There would seem to be little debate on these points.

The debate is how do we do this upgrading and what are we willing to sacrifice as a lower priority to do this upgrading.

Some place so much emphasis on the QB as the key change to be made that they are willing to see the Bills not focus all their efforts and cap room on this effort because the first thing they want to do is cut Bledsoe.

Right now the Bills have some flexibility in cap room but not an infinite amount. Cutting Bledsoe likely ends up reducing the Bills ability to buy a better OL because the cut results in $4.3 million in deadspace. This is balanced against the team having a $6.5 million allocation for Bledsoe if we keep him. However, any amount we pay above $2.1 million for a back-up to JP begins to cut into the $9 million or so we have in cap space to upgrade the OL.

As even a QB of Garcia quality last year drew over a $5 million cap hit. My sense is that if we acquire a new QB ast he back-up to JP he definitely is going to cost more than a $2 mill cap hit. Otherwise he will be a second-tier player (or less) for $2.1 million who won't be able to step in as the Bills starter if JP isn't starter quality yet, or JP gets hurt again, or also won't have enough experience and has been to the SB before so he can help train the young JP.

The bottomline is that if you want to devote our efforts to upgrade the OL talent you should also be rooting for Bledsoe to agree to play at a lower cap hit because if Bledsoe goes a lot of the the cap room we have will go toward a new back-up QB.

231740[/snapback]

Buffalo Bills fans are notoriously fair weather about their QBs. You can't put all that pressure solely on the rook.