Things you won't hear in the news

kegtapr

This is an excerpt taken from a email I received from the spouse of a Army Major.

It is quieter there now, the elections seemed to have made a difference to the people.  Between 5 and 8 thousand Iraqis volunteered for the army/security in Mosul after the elections--almost like they realized they could beat the insurgents.  The army has been showing the people videos of the "insurgents" in before and after clips, Lynn says, which shows their cowardice.  One clip had an evil man holding a gun to someone's head, threatening to kill him--the next showed this same man pleading for his life after his capture.  This has truly showed the good people of Iraq that they can beat these maniacs.

Lynn said that you've never seen a smile bigger than two of the Iraqi security guys.  I think one of their names is Abdul, but I cannot remember.  They brighten her day everytime she sees them.

Our soldiers are doing everything they can to make it better for the Iraqis.  Lynn said that the infrastructure was very bad before we even got there, and that we have been trying very hard to rebuild it.  True progress will be made once people stop blowing up the beginnings of a water plant, for example.  When the Iraqi workers (and new friends) came back into the green zone after the elections, they were smiling and told Lynn and others that they missed seeing them and were glad to be back!

And before someone makes the comment that this is another view through rose colored glasses, this email is coming from someone who has been opposed to the war since the beginning.

This is an excerpt taken from a email I received from the spouse of a Army Major.

And before someone makes the comment that this is another view through rose colored glasses, this email is coming from someone who has been opposed to the war  since the beginning.

231691[/snapback]

Damned Republican propaganda from Karl Rove again. Everyone knows the election was a sham designed to install a puppet government so the US can kill thousands of Iraqi children and loot their oil, under the transparent excuse of "WMD", when we all know that poor, innocent, great man of peace Saddam never has had or used and never would have or use such things...

Iraq hasn’t been mapped in about 30 years. Guesses are that their oil reserves will exceed anyone else in the world including the Saudi’s. Can you say world economic power. Though Democracy has to take hold for that to come to fruition, IMO.

Nice post Keg. :w00t:

Great post, really made my morning to read about the good things that are going unreported. Although just for reference, the spouse must have been mistaken (as she is unsure in the letter, its not a big deal) about the name of the security guard. "Abdul" as itself can never be a name in Arabic. Neither can other stereotypes like Abu, they all are denominations of family, not individual names (Abu, for example, means "father of..."). I have a roommate who grew up in Syria, so I pick up a few things here and there. The college system works!

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

And before someone makes the comment that this is another view through rose colored glasses, this email is coming from someone who has been opposed to the war  since the beginning.

231691[/snapback]

That won't stop the Islamists from taking over, though.. that is what it comes down to. Only the future will tell...