Is living downtown Buffalo a good idea?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry... I can't afford the $3,800 association fee. Median income for that area is $25k. Huh? 1.25 million dollar house in an area where the median income is 25k? How do they afford the taxes?

Median? WhoTF is making 12k and pulling it down? Where are the ones making a 1/4 mill and pulling it up?

Yeah... I am being sarcastic. What are the taxes? But... Really, nice place for the money!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Good lord that is not my style. Don't get me wrong I like it but in a museum where you go to look at 17th and 18th century paintings sort of way. No way I could live there.

Funny I was looking at those just this week. We got our home appraised and realized we have a ton of equity (not bad for less than three years of ownership with a small down payment). I was floored at the price of some of these places. And the HOA and property taxes would be a mortgage payment elsewhere. I'm retiring to Florida. That is unless my stock options are worth something then it's CA wine country.

Good lord that is not my style. Don't get me wrong I like it but in a museum where you go to look at 17th and 18th century paintings sort of way. No way I could live there.

Funny I was looking at those just this week. We got our home appraised and realized we have a ton of equity (not bad for less than three years of ownership with a small down payment). I was floored at the price of some of these places. And the HOA and property taxes would be a mortgage payment elsewhere. I'm retiring to Florida. That is unless my stock options are worth something then it's CA wine country.

On your first point...good god could that place be decorated any worse? Just awful.

But i was bored, and started poking around looking at some homes for sale in Elmwood Village...look at this and the great woodwork etc...just think what you could do this home

http://www.point2homes.com/US/Home-For-Sale/NY/Buffalo/Elmwood-Village/246-Norwood-Ave/48927050.html

2 your second point about retiring to Florida...ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS. You are giving FISD chit about moving from San Diego to Buffalo, but you would move from Bay Area to freaking Florida??? What?? Cant you see you as a Del Webb/Del Boca Vista kinda guy :lol:

On your first point...good god could that place be decorated any worse? Just awful.

But i was bored, and started poking around looking at some homes for sale in Elmwood Village...look at this and the great woodwork etc...just think what you could do this home

http://www.point2homes.com/US/Home-For-Sale/NY/Buffalo/Elmwood-Village/246-Norwood-Ave/48927050.html

2 your second point about retiring to Florida...ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS. You are giving FISD chit about moving from San Diego to Buffalo, but you would move from Bay Area to freaking Florida??? What?? Cant you see you as a Del Webb/Del Boca Vista kinda guy :lol:

10% more net income for me and a short plane ride to the Caribbean baby!!

Oh and have you ever lived in the Bay Area? :wacko:

Edited by Chef Jim

10% more net income for me and a short plane ride to the Caribbean baby!!

Oh and have you ever lived in the Bay Area? :wacko:

Then live in the Caribbean!...there is not a place i enjoy visiting less than Florida...and i go to Moline, Hershey, Des Moines for business regularly...all better places than Florida!

Then live in the Caribbean!...there is not a place i enjoy visiting less than Florida...and i go to Moline, Hershey, Des Moines for business regularly...all better places than Florida!

We've considered the Caribbean. Too third world. We lived in Fl before we got married. We could do it again. Lot's WNY family and friends. there.

We've considered the Caribbean. Too third world. We lived in Fl before we got married. We could do it again. Lot's WNY family and friends. there.

Then that works. I only busting stones.

BTW, there are some seriously nice old homes in Buffalo...wow

Then that works. I only busting stones.

BTW, there are some seriously nice old homes in Buffalo...wow

I know you're busting stones. I was looking at lake front homes in The Finger Lakes. Found a real nice place for $399k. Property taxes? $10k! :o

I know you're busting stones. I was looking at lake front homes in The Finger Lakes. Found a real nice place for $399k. Property taxes? $10k! :o

I pay 8k in taxes and my house is more than $100,000 dollars less. Paid almost $100,000 in taxes in the 12 years we've lived in Amherst. oh yeah, the taxes suck...

Add another 10k/year the past couple years for daycare...

Plus justifying my Bills season tickets on a yearly basis...

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Edited by ricojes

I pay 8k in taxes and my house is more than $100,000 dollars less. Paid almost $100,000 in taxes in the 12 years we've lived in Amherst. oh yeah, the taxes suck...

Add another 10k/year the past couple years for daycare...

Plus justifying my Bills season tickets on a yearly basis...

:censored: :censored: :censored:

We bought our house in 2012 for $475k. Our property taxes were $7k. We had it appraised last week for $740k and our property taxes are now $7200. Love prop. 13!

Shoot boys , my taxes way less than both of yours!

Course, I have no trash pickup, no lights on streets, no plow service when it snows.

But I got cheap taxes

We don't get trash pick-up, that's extra through private contractors here in Illinois... About 50 bucks a quarter/year. Snow, they really cut back since the heavy winter last year busted the bank... More: "Mutha Nature giveth, she take it!" My taxes are like 6 grand on a 150k house which was built new in 1996 (under k square feet, full basement). But houses have always been cheaper in the South Suburbs, etc... If I could move it up North, it may get 250k+... But I am fine with it, the housing market is like BFLO here, cheap... Taxes high. I could probably find a nice fixer upper, 1500 square feet for under 50 grand. There is absolutley no reason somebody should be homeless in this area! Heck, some dumps out in the sticks are going for 20k! 20k!!! You gotta be kidding, bulldoze it for the land.