Starbucks Fans...Whadayathink of this new idea?

IDBillzFan

Obviously open dialogue is a good thing, but there's a time and place. Do you enjoy Jehovah's witnesses approaching you at your house, or in the park to talk about Jesus, or does it make you uncomfortable. Is that to say you're not Christian, or that you hate people that are?

I actually don't mind. They are very nice, well dressed, and just doing their "mission." I'd rather meet them in a dark alley toting their literature than others that are unknown to me. I don't get mad or uncomfortable... They are just completing their mission.

No way, I am pro-Jehovah... They seem like very nice peaceful people.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cup of coffee ain't gonna fix that nutbag.

Nope, idiocy can't be outlawed, but, bringing attention to idiots does make the rest of us feel better about ourselves.

Re Starbucks...a week's worth of messages isn't going to bring about change, but, conversation is good. If you care to partake then have at it. If you don't that's ok. I do enjoy a half dozen or so Americano's/ year, but, I much prefer to grind/brew my own. If I was Poojer I'd be roasting my own too, maybe when I retire.

FYI & totally off topic...a spoonful or two of instant espresso granules added into your favorite BBQ rub does wonders, especially for beef.

I just learned a great brewing method for coffee from Alton Brown, it has worked absolutely perfectly for me...i have NEVER been able to make a good cup(s) of coffee at home...his method is for a french press, 1/2 cup, grounds, 24 ounces boiling water and a pinch of salt. Let the grounds steep for exactly 4 minutes, plunge the press and voila...perhaps i wasn't letting it steep long enough, whatever...i could never get a good cup at home....

Nope, idiocy can't be outlawed, but, bringing attention to idiots does make the rest of us feel better about ourselves.

Re Starbucks...a week's worth of messages isn't going to bring about change, but, conversation is good. If you care to partake then have at it. If you don't that's ok. I do enjoy a half dozen or so Americano's/ year, but, I much prefer to grind/brew my own. If I was Poojer I'd be roasting my own too, maybe when I retire.

FYI & totally off topic...a spoonful or two of instant espresso granules added into your favorite BBQ rub does wonders, especially for beef.

When I go to Starbucks (I do like their coffee) I refuse to order by their lingo -- I order a "small, medium, or large" size of whatever.

That's right, I'm a rebel.

I hate the word Barista too. You're a server. You pour coffee. You're a fast food worker, just like someone at McDonalds, or Whataburger.

When I go to Starbucks (I do like their coffee) I refuse to order by their lingo -- I order a "small, medium, or large" size of whatever.

That's right, I'm a rebel.

So does my wife and she gives her name as George. Her real name is Holly and she gets "Molly?" "Polly?" "Dolly?" Pisses her off.

Obviously open dialogue is a good thing, but there's a time and place. Do you enjoy Jehovah's witnesses approaching you at your house, or in the park to talk about Jesus, or does it make you uncomfortable. Is that to say you're not Christian, or that you hate people that are?

I actually don't mind. They are very nice, well dressed, and just doing their "mission." I'd rather meet them in a dark alley toting their literature than others that are unknown to me. I don't get mad or uncomfortable... They are just completing their mission.

No way, I am pro-Jehovah... They seem like very nice peaceful people.

My wife tells them that she's a Wiccan and if they don't go away she'll cast a spell upon them.

Oh the responses we get once the shock wears off and the door is closed!!!

Beerballness... You are very wise and astute!

No matter what the rest of this crowd thinks!

:-)

My wife tells them that she's a Wiccan and if they don't go away she'll cast a spell upon them.

Oh the responses we get once the shock wears off and the door is closed!!!

LMAO! I come to the door juggling my 3 cats in hand... Boy do they (blasted cats that is) put up a fight! I say: "Here can you hold one so he doesn't get away!"

:-/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This is a bit OT so my apologies to the OP.

I have tried Starbucks several times (actually, at locations world-wide) but now will only go there if I am unable to locate an alternative. The reasons behind my avoidance are the following:

1. I have been able to find better, more affordable coffee at other coffee shops. Due to Starbucks large # of stores, this affordability may be negated from travel to another coffee shop.
  2. Sometimes, I may want something to eat with coffee and Starbucks' food is identical or similar no matter the location. Some (perhaps most) people like this consistency but not me. IMO, I do not find their food flavorful or interesting.
  3. I tend to favor independent eateries over chains. It takes a bit more homework on my part to find good, local coffee shops/eating establishments but typically it has been worth the time. I have been able to find places that have creative and/or homemade foods and beverages with local ingredients or with a regional flair to them.
  4. Usually, the servers at the independent establishments are more engaged and knowledgeable about their fare than the staff at their corporate competitors.

I used to go to a small roaster in midlothian va every morning, it was amazing how his coffee was 'better' in many ways, ,the roastiness was there, but not the burn that is prevalent with starbucks, the mouthfeel is way different, a lot smoother, you are getting beans that are within 24 hours of being roasted, and you are right, the customer engagement was much better...granted his retail counter was an afterthought, but he had 3 carafes full at all times, you could buy a pound or more of coffee for 8-10/lb. I prefer the local establishments as well.

This is a bit OT so my apologies to the OP.

I have tried Starbucks several times (actually, at locations world-wide) but now will only go there if I am unable to locate an alternative. The reasons behind my avoidance are the following:

1. I have been able to find better, more affordable coffee at other coffee shops. Due to Starbucks large # of stores, this affordability may be negated from travel to another coffee shop.
  2. Sometimes, I may want something to eat with coffee and Starbucks' food is identical or similar no matter the location. Some (perhaps most) people like this consistency but not me. IMO, I do not find their food flavorful or interesting.
  3. I tend to favor independent eateries over chains. It takes a bit more homework on my part to find good, local coffee shops/eating establishments but typically it has been worth the time. I have been able to find places that have creative and/or homemade foods and beverages with local ingredients or with a regional flair to them.
  4. Usually, the servers at the independent establishments are more engaged and knowledgeable about their fare than the staff at their corporate competitors.

Couple of questions for you refusing to use their lingo....why is that? I am a " nearest" guy when it comes to coffee...what ever place is nearest is the one I will get, be that 7-11, WAWA, something local....just not a small gas station with one small pot that was brewed an hour ago. But if I go to Starbucks, I order from their board. Coffee is coffee to me , nothing more, nothing less.

Also, OT and not really related to race, but was watching the JFK bio on American Experience last night.

Seems MLK Sr. would not vote for JFK as in good conscious he could not vote for a Catholic, and instructed his congregation to vote for Nixon as well. Found that interesting.

I do it both out of habit of the way I order it at, probably, 99% of the other places I order coffee from. And also because I honestly haven't made the effort to learn the terms and what they mean. Also in my head it sounds stupid to me which is why I refuse to order "year-ohs" and stick to ordering "jye-rohs". It's an internal comfort level thing for me, albeit an admittedly stupid one. Hey, we all have our quirks we need to deal with

Couple of questions for you refusing to use their lingo....why is that? I am a " nearest" guy when it comes to coffee...what ever place is nearest is the one I will get, be that 7-11, WAWA, something local....just not a small gas station with one small pot that was brewed an hour ago. But if I go to Starbucks, I order from their board. Coffee is coffee to me , nothing more, nothing less.

Also, OT and not really related to race, but was watching the JFK bio on American Experience last night.

Seems MLK Sr. would not vote for JFK as in good conscious he could not vote for a Catholic, and instructed his congregation to vote for Nixon as well. Found that interesting.

cause it's stuupid

cause it's stuupid

Your stupid!😄

And for Pooj, I cannot imagine learning 3 words, yes three words, is all that difficult, even for WNY public educated folks like us....and I don't believe you don't know what those 3 words are anyway! Cracks me up when I see guys order a "medium" coffee in a Starbucks and say it loud for everyone to hear ...like they a tough guy and Starbucks is for sissies.

And it is Year oh!

If I'm ever in the mood for a cup when I'm with my wife while she's getting coffee there, I just say, "can I please just get a small black coffee?" They don't seem to mind. The lingo doesn't bother me; I just don't know it and figure it's easier to just cut to the chase.

I used to go to a small roaster in midlothian va every morning, it was amazing how his coffee was 'better' in many ways, ,the roastiness was there, but not the burn that is prevalent with starbucks, the mouthfeel is way different, a lot smoother, you are getting beans that are within 24 hours of being roasted, and you are right, the customer engagement was much better...granted his retail counter was an afterthought, but he had 3 carafes full at all times, you could buy a pound or more of coffee for 8-10/lb. I prefer the local establishments as well.

What is the name of that place? I will look it up when I am in the area.

Your stupid!

And for Pooj, I cannot imagine learning 3 words, yes three words, is all that difficult, even for WNY public educated folks like us....and I don't believe you don't know what those 3 words are anyway! Cracks me up when I see guys order a "medium" coffee in a Starbucks and say it loud for everyone to hear ...like they a tough guy and Starbucks is for sissies.

And it is Year oh!

Truth is I find the names pretentious. As a man of the people, & a humble one at that I made the conscious decision to stick w S, M or L.

If I'm ever in the mood for a cup when my wife allows me to be seen with her while she's getting coffee there, I just say, "can I please just get a small black coffee?" They don't seem to mind. The lingo doesn't bother me; I just don't know it and figure it's easier to just cut to the chase.

You should mentor TRBJ.