Replacing a BUS STATION: $10,000,000,000

I heard that in New Jersey you can;t pump your own gas at the station, Is that true?

Because gasoline is a hazardous material. So you need to be licensed to handle it.

Taxpayer money, though...seems like any schmoe's allowed to handle that. $10 billion for a bus terminal? You could buy a navy for that price. And not just a piddly-ass little brown-water navy like South Africa's. An honest-to-god top-10 blue water navy, like India's.

Because gasoline is a hazardous material. So you need to be licensed to handle it.

Taxpayer money, though...seems like any schmoe's allowed to handle that. $10 billion for a bus terminal? You could buy a navy for that price. And not just a piddly-ass little brown-water navy like South Africa's. An honest-to-god top-10 blue water navy, like India's.

10 billion seems a bit low for a navy.

I mean, doesn't one JSF cost a billion?

You got links to those numbers?'

Edited by joesixpack

10 billion seems a bit low for a navy.

I mean, doesn't one JSF cost a billion?

You got links to those numbers?'

India's naval budget this year is $4 billion. And that's with putting two new carriers in to service.

I'm not saying you could by the US Navy, but the Indian Navy is the 7th largest in the world.

(One JSF's looking like about $200M now, by the way. Supposedly. Maybe. Frankly, I don't think it's even possible to estimate the flyaway unit cost for that abortion of a program, it's so !@#$ed up.)

Not fer nuttin' gang, but the Port Authority Bus Terminal is at 40th - 42nd Street and 8th Avenue in New Yawk City.

And what do you expect the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to do... save people money? :w00t:

Goodie, here comes the $20 Hudson River toll.

Oh yes, most certainly. And wait till the 2$ billion new Tappan Zee bridge opens... :sick:

Not fer nuttin' gang, but the Port Authority Bus Terminal is at 40th - 42nd Street and 8th Avenue in New Yawk City.

And what do you expect the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to do... save people money? :w00t:

Oh yes, most certainly. And wait till the 2$ billion new Tappan Zee bridge opens... :sick:

Hey, a new bus terminal does save people money. Because it creates jobs! And...uh...it's green. Yeah, that's it! It creates jobs, and it's green! And it's for the troops! And think of the children! Hands up, don't shoot! Je suis Charlie! #BringBackOurGirls!

I mean, how much more of an explanation do you need? It's perfectly sound fiscal policy, obviously.

Oh, the rest of NYS will pay for that one. Tappan Zee was builtto be outside the Port Authority zone, so it crosses the Hudson at precisely the widest possible point.

I still can't quite fathom how the eastern end will connect to the shore with all the buildings that are in place there right next to the existing bridge. There's no way that can be done without an enormous disruption of traffic for a long period of time. And like the Tappan Zee can absorb lane closures. What a mess that's going to be!

I still can't quite fathom how the eastern end will connect to the shore with all the buildings that are in place there right next to the existing bridge. There's no way that can be done without an enormous disruption of traffic for a long period of time. And like the Tappan Zee can absorb lane closures. What a mess that's going to be!

Assuming all goes well, it will be a pain for a bit more than a year from 2017 - 2018, when east/west traffic shares the new span.

I heard that in New Jersey you can;t pump your own gas at the station, Is that true?

They slap the baby on the azz when born in Oregon:

"No self-serve for you!"

Actually, both states claim that it LOWERS the price of fuel since they pay less insurance premiums. From what I read. Probably helps that NJ is a petrol chem hub? Most states went to self-serve around the 1970's... I think Illinois was 1977, from what people tell me.

Think about it, all stations still have to be full-serve (or partial serve, fueling only) for handicapped drivers.

True

And you cannot make a left hand turn in NJ

Why? Do they make "Michigan Rights" there?

;-P ;-P

What do they call them in Jersey? "Jug Handles?" Or is that PA?

Why? Do they make "Michigan Rights" there?

;-P ;-P

What do they call them in Jersey? "Jug Handles?" Or is that PA?

I don't have any first hand experience with them, just what others have told me. Don't know what they're called other than a pain in the ass

I don't have any first hand experience with them, just what others have told me. Don't know what they're called other than a pain in the ass

It's weird at first, then you realize it's much better because you don't have morons hogging up the left lane because they need to get into position for the left turn two miles before hand.

Assuming all goes well, it will be a pain for a bit more than a year from 2017 - 2018, when east/west traffic shares the new span.

I haven't seen any maps of project, but I've been over the TZ many times and it looks like the new span has nowhere to go on the eastern side when it finally lands there. There seems to be a lot of buildings and homes/apartments that are way close to the current span's footprint there.

I can imagine what that kind of slow down that will cause, and the GWB to 95 & Cross Bronx Expressway... fugghettabouddit! That's cursed as it is. Wait till it gets the traffic surge from people avoiding the TZ slow-down.

Note to self: Don't plan on going to CT or the Cape in 2017-2018.

Like GG said. In Michigan, they call them a "Michigan Right." My wife loves them, all she does is make right turns... Even as a back seat driver:

"Oh, I wouldn't make a left here, I'd go right."

I am like: "Huh? That's okay, I will just wait and turn left."

One time with the in-laws and children in the car, my daughter wanted my wife to drive for some "liberating" reason I suspect. :-/ :-/ So... I reluctantly gave up the helm (I drive 99.99% of the time)... Little did she know she HAD to make a left through traffic or face the scorn of the passengers. She came through with flying colors and hung that left turn like Dale Jr! The whoe car erupted in applause... For she's a jolly good driver! LoL...

I guess there is somebody more confusing than me! And she found me! For what reason she still can't figure out! LMAO...