ACLU Backs Snyder Against Indians In "Redskins" Dispute

If you think this is a joke thread, you'd be wrong - - filed in federal court on 3/5/15:

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/assets/2015_03_05_-_doc_76-2_-_aclu_amicus_brief.pdf

. . .The slipperiest of slopes awaits the PTO and the federal courts if a ruling from this Court empowers any individual to seek and obtain the cancellation of a registration that the PTO finds offensive. . . .

CONCLUSION

For all the above reasons, this Court should grant Plaintiffs motion and declare Section 2(a) of the Lanham Act facially unconstitutional to the extent that it mandates rejection of an application that “[c]onsists of or comprises immoral . . . or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage . . . persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or bring them into contempt, or disrepute.”

Respectfully submitted,

By: /s/ Rebecca Glenberg

Rebecca K. Glenberg (VSB No. 44099) rglenberg@acluva.org
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Virginia, Inc.

Edited by Just Jack

Don't care. I can sympathize with either sides, but with all the team names that are potentially insulting, they conceniently went after the one with the most revenue, so it's kind of lame no matter how you look at it.

it almost ST PATS day, always wonder, in this PC climate, why people of irish descent arent up in arms over the ND "fightin irish" .. talk about stereotypes.. also heard that people in the south are beginning to get upset with the term "YANKEES".. and as someone who likes the color purple, i am offended that cleveland's NFL team is called the BROWNS..

Edited by dwight in philly

What is the point of this post?

Is it anti ACLU? Is it anti "Redskins?" Is it anti Politics?

If its anti ACLU, did you think that no one would ever dare to take the counterpoint to the PC argument? Did you consider that they might have a valid point (that if you're going to force a name change, do not do it under this particular piece of legislation, but do it some other way)?

If its anti "Redskins," I think Florio could use you in his crusade.

Personally, I kinda favor the free market (to the limited extent that we actually have one). If you dont like the name . . . .

What is the point of this post?

Is it anti ACLU? Is it anti "Redskins?" Is it anti Politics?

If its anti ACLU, did you think that no one would ever dare to take the counterpoint to the PC argument? Did you consider that they might have a valid point (that if you're going to force a name change, do not do it under this particular piece of legislation, but do it some other way)?

If its anti "Redskins," I think Florio could use you in his crusade.

Personally, I kinda favor the free market (to the limited extent that we actually have one). If you dont like the name . . . .

If you have that much trouble trying to assign a point to the post, maybe you should consider the possibility that it is simply informational. I only used the words "joke thread" in my very short intro because I used the phrase "Sign of the Necropolis" (rather than "sign of the apocalypse") as a "tag" in the thread title. But you caught that, right?

The ACLU often represents minorities and the downtrodden or less popular parties against more powerful or more popular interests, so it is facially surprising that they sided with a billion dollar NFL franchise against the American Indian "minority" in this particular case. It's not really a sign of the apocalypse, though, because they did so based on their interpretation of free speech principles. I'm fine with that.

If you need to assign a "point" to an informational post, maybe you're the one with an agenda.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

it almost ST PATS day, always wonder, in this PC climate, why people of irish descent arent up in arms over the ND "fightin irish" .. talk about stereotypes.. also heard that people in the south are beginning to get upset with the term "YANKEES".. and as someone who likes the color purple, i am offended that cleveland's NFL team is called the BROWNS..

People of Irish descent don't make a big deal about Fightin Irish because the stereotypes are a reminder of what the Irish faced when they came to this country and eventually overcame. Other ethnic groups that have not, or choose not to, overcome their situation just blame the stereotype.

Regarding the Browns, I suspect it will be a big deal in a generation or two as less and less people are around who know the origin of the team name. As Paul Brown fades into history, somebody will just see the name Browns and cry Racist©!

People of Irish descent don't make a big deal about Fightin Irish because the stereotypes are a reminder of what the Irish faced when they came to this country and eventually overcame. Other ethnic groups that have not, or choose not to, overcome their situation just blame the stereotype.

Regarding the Browns, I suspect it will be a big deal in a generation or two as less and less people are around who know the origin of the team name. As Paul Brown fades into history, somebody will just see the name Browns and cry Racist©!

Wait i thought the "Fighting Irish" thing had to do with drunken and disorderly behavior stereotypes?

it almost ST PATS day, always wonder, in this PC climate, why people of irish descent arent up in arms over the ND "fightin irish" ..

Someone on Twitter wondered the same thing and Tim Graham suggested it was different because there's no such thing as leprechauns.

He may have been joking, but the simple fact that I question whether he was joking is telling.

Someone on Twitter wondered the same thing and Tim Graham suggested it was different because there's no such thing as leprechauns.

He may have been joking, but the simple fact that I question whether he was joking is telling.

There's no such thing as a "Magic Negro" either.