The dangers of our new normal...

Can you provide any proof that this "important tool" has helped law enforcement thwart a terrorist attack?

No, I don't need to, they say it is and I trust them, they can read my email, check my web searches, see who I called all they want and I don't care at all

No, I don't need to, they say it is and I trust them, they can read my email, check my web searches, see who I called all they want and I don't care at all

You should care. They'd likely put you on a psych hold and declare you mentally incompetent.

You realize the ones who are collecting your information are not law enforcement agencies, correct? They are national intelligence agencies who are not supposed to be operating on American soil or against American citizens. Local police aren't in the loop, thus, there's very little impact -- if any at all -- on your own personal safety.

Very real? Please. You're 58x more likely to be killed by a police officer as a US citizen than you are by a terrorist. Nearly 60 times! A million plus people die in car crashes on American roads every year, but we have yet to abolish driving privileges for our citizens. And yet because of that very irrational fear of evil no good terrorists killing Americans on American soil, we've completely given up our right to privacy, due process, and any semblance of a fourth amendment.

It is real. It just happened. Sounds like I need to take you to the firing range and show you what a full auto AK(what those 2 guys had in TX) can do. Then, you can run around on the range, and I will shoot near you, but miss on purpose...you know, because only the irrational would fear that. :rolleyes:

Don't dodge: you said "irrational". Irrational implies that there is a mental illness or defect in a person who fears a terrorist attack. Hence: Dog Whistle, and again, GTFO of here with that.

That's flat wrong. Unlike claustrophobia, where the walls seem to be closing in. Terrorism is. It does not seem to be. I fear insetting into a car accident, because the type and timing of the driving I do + the fact that its always in a rental says, the math is not in my favor. That hasn't stopped me from becoming a super duper member at most rental places...but it also means I tune up my awareness in rental cars. Am I being irrational? No. Car accidents are real. So is the math against me.

I simply have respect for the albeit small added danger, and I act accordingly.

IF you want to say "overly fearful" or overcompensating, or overreacting or over whatever....that's fine. But you cannot have an irrational fear of the empirical. :wacko: And, if it was you expressing your 1st amendment rights at the cartoon rally, and you consider how close you came to becoming Swiss cheese a few days later? I assure you that's very real, and so are the nightmares.

It's the same old story: A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged...yet. You want to talk about chances? My chances of getting mugged in NYC plummeted when Guliani took over. But does that mean I can now flash a lot of cash in a bar there, especially late night, without a care, and anyone telling me not to is irrational?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Don't dodge: you said "irrational".

...In relation to forgoing our fourth amendment rights it's more than irrational, it's laughable.

30,000 plus die a year due to gun violence, yet there's talk of revolution the moment anyone talks about rethinking the second amendment. 2,977 people died in 2001 and no one blinks an eye when the government detonates the fourth amendment.

You trust law enforcement? Aren't you the guy who started the thread "Another Day Another Unarmed Black Man Shot!" ?

Conflicted much?

Would you feel the same if Chris Christie wins in 2016?

There is a precedent for the government, whom you trust, gathering personal information on citizens under the guise of protecting us from communism and use it cause great havoc in completely innocent people's lives. Google J. Edgar Hoover black list for more details.

FBI violates internal rules to spy on Keystone XL opponents:

Internal agency documents show for the first time how FBI agents have been closely monitoring anti-Keystone activists, in violation of guidelines designed to prevent the agency from becoming unduly involved in sensitive political issues.

(Snip)

For a period of time – possibly as long as eight months – agents acting beyond their authority were monitoring activists aligned with Tar Sands Blockade. Tar Sands Blockade appeared on the FBI’s radar in late 2012, not long after the group began organising in east Houston, the end destination for Keystone’s 1,660-mile pipeline.

Environmental activists affiliated with the group were committed to peaceful civil disobedience that can involve minor infractions of law, such as trespass. But they had no history of violent or serious crime.

Gator does not do details well.

He doesn't like the way they obfuscate the "bigger" picture.

"Bigger" in this case meaning "terminally warped, bearing no resemblance to reality." But again...details...

The Greatest Threat to Free Speech comes not from Terrorism, but from those claiming to fight it:

One of the most alarming examples comes, not at all surprisingly, from the U.K. government, which is currently agitating for new counter-terrorism powers “including plans for extremism disruption orders designed to restrict those trying to radicalize young people.”

(snip)

Basking in his election victory, Prime Minister David Cameron unleashed this Orwellian decree to explain why new Thought Police powers are needed: “For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens ‘as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone.'” It’s not enough for British subjects merely to “obey the law”; they must refrain from believing in or expressing ideas which Her Majesty’s Government dislikes.

(snip)

Threats to free speech can come from lots of places. But right now, the greatest threat by far in the West to ideals of free expression is coming not from radical Muslims, but from the very Western governments claiming to fight them. The increasingly unhinged, Cheney-sounding governments of the UK, Australia, France, New Zealand and Canada — joining the U.S. — have a seemingly insatiable desire to curb freedoms in the name of protecting them: prosecuting people for Facebook postings critical of Western militarism or selling “radical” cable channels, imprisoning peoplefor “radical” tweets, banning websites containing ideas they dislike,seeking (and obtaining) new powers of surveillance and detention for those people (usually though not exclusively Muslim citizens) who hold and espouse views deemed by these governments to be “radical.”

Nothing to see here... just keep moving along.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/05/13/greatest-threat-free-speech-comes-terrorism-claiming-fight/

The increasingly unhinged, Cheney-sounding governments of the UK, Australia, France, New Zealand and Canada — joining the U.S. — have a seemingly insatiable desire to curb freedoms in the name of protecting them: prosecuting people for Facebook postings critical of Western militarism or selling “radical” cable channels, imprisoning peoplefor “radical” tweets, banning websites containing ideas they dislike,seeking (and obtaining) new powers of surveillance and detention for those people (usually though not exclusively Muslim citizens) who hold and espouse views deemed by these governments to be “radical.”

This is one aspect of the new normal that we haven't really touched on much. That is, with all the internet spying etc., will people start to finally wake up and realize it too late. Then we'll be like the dude in 1984 who was always in search of someplace where he couldn't be seen by Big Brother. People will have less freedom to do and say what they want on the internet knowing that it can and will be used against them. So, they will try to share as little personal opinion as possible and only trumpet the company (government) line for fear of retribution, resulting in less freedom.

A little science fictionish I admit, but I could see it happening.