The dangers of our new normal...

Ordinary Internet users, American and non-American alike, far outnumber legally targeted foreigners in the communications intercepted by the National Security Agency from U.S. digital networks, according to a four-month investigation by The Washington Post.

Nine of 10 account holders found in a large cache of intercepted conversations, which former NSA contractor Edward Snowden provided in full to The Post, were not the intended surveillance targets but were caught in a net the agency had cast for somebody else.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/in-nsa-intercepted-data-those-not-targeted-far-outnumber-the-foreigners-who-are/2014/07/05/8139adf8-045a-11e4-8572-4b1b969b6322_story.html

"Snowden here did not leak programmatic information about government activity. He leaked many tens of thousands of personal communications of a type that, in government hands, are rightly subject to strict controls."

So it wasn't an invasion of privacy until Snowden released the information. Right.

Anyone who worked for the federal government, was a contractor, or was family or a friend of either got hacked. The system that was breached stores the background investigation forms.

Let's assume that I have a sibling that had to get a security clearance. I'm not saying it was Darryl.

Two serious questions:

1. Were notices required to be sent to the "family or friends" whose information was stored in the background investigation forms that got hacked? My guess is "no," but I haven't tried to look it up yet.

2. What sort of info would generally be stored about siblings in the background investigation forms that got hacked (in whatever level of detail, if any, that you are allowed to disclose)?

If it matters - - I realize it might not - - I was never contacted by any investigator inquiring about my sibling, either before or after my sibling obtained a security clearance.

Straightforward answers to each question would be appreciated, even if that's just stating "I can't talk about it." Thanks.

And, mind you, all this is happening under the watchful eye of the most transparent administration in history.

More on the Poitras story:

Over six years, filmmaker Laura Poitras was searched, interrogated and detained more than 50 times at U.S. and foreign airports.

When she asked why, U.S. agencies wouldn’t say.

Now, after receiving no response to her Freedom of Information Act requests for documents pertaining to her systemic targeting, Poitras is suing the U.S. government.

In a complaint filed on Monday afternoon, Poitras demanded that the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence release any and all documentation pertaining to her tracking, targeting and questioning while traveling between 2006 and 2012.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/13/laura-poitras-sues-u-s-government-find-repeatedly-stopped-border/

Any story that calls Snowden a "whistleblower" is automatically suspect. Snowden's no more a whistleblower than I am a basketball player.

Consider the source is Greenwald's site. But I've heard you have a pretty good sky hook -- maybe you're just being modest?

Consider the source is Greenwald's site. But I've heard you have a pretty good sky hook -- maybe you're just being modest?

Ha! He'd be kicked out of the game in the first few minutes due to technical fouls. Most likely you'd never get to see that alleged famous sky hook. I can hear his trash talk now----"you idiot and !@#$ing moron"! His team mate---"don't call me that"!

Not really sure this belongs in this thread, but I haven't seen it anywhere else on PPP:

The internal National Security Agency document, provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, is the first official confirmation that the assassination of Suleiman was an Israeli military operation, and ends speculation that an internal dispute within the Syrian government led to his death.

A top-secret entry in the NSA’s internal version of Wikipedia, called Intellipedia, described the assassination by “Israeli naval commandos” near the port town of Tartus as the “first known instance of Israel targeting a legitimate government official.” The details of the assassination were included in a “Manhunting Timeline” within the NSA’s intelligence repository.

According to three former U.S. intelligence officers with extensive experience in the Middle East, the document’s classification markings indicate that the NSA learned of the assassination through surveillance. The officials asked that they not be identified, because they were discussing classified information.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/15/israeli-special-forces-assassinated-senior-syrian-official/

Retired general Mike Flynn on how America's Drone wars create more terrorists than they kill:

Flynn, who in 2014 was forced out as head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, has in recent months become an outspoken critic of the Obama administration’s Middle East strategy, calling for a more hawkish approach to the Islamic State and Iran.

But his enthusiasm for the application of force doesn’t extend to the use of drones. In the interview with Al Jazeera presenter Mehdi Hasan, set to air July 31, the former three star general says: “When you drop a bomb from a drone … you are going to cause more damage than you are going to cause good.” Pressed by Hasan as to whether drone strikes are creating more terrorists than they kill, Flynn says, “I don’t disagree with that.” He describes the present approach of drone warfare as “a failed strategy.”

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/16/retired-general-drones-create-terrorists-kill-iraq-war-helped-create-isis/

Citing its authorities under Section 702, the NSA collect hundreds of millions of digital communications directly from Internet service providers, including Google, Facebook, YouTube, Apple, as well as digital communications in transit from Internet fiber cables. The two main 702 programs are known asPRISM and Upstream. They both collect communications in the form of e-mails, text messages, Facebook messages, G-chats, and voice.

Those communications belong to “targets” of the NSA, the people those “targets” talk to, as well as extra messages the system vacuums up “incidentally.”

And once all those communications are collected, the NSA can and does search through them.

Section 702 is meant to be directed at foreigners, but it ends up serving as a de facto “backdoor” way of searching emails and phone calls made by Americans whose communications go overseas – whether it’s because they’re communicating to someone abroad, or because domestic traffic was simply rerouted abroad on its way to its final destination.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/19/making-republican-snowdenista/

Edited by GreggyT

WikiLeaks is "Drowning in material" according to Spiegel ( http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/spiegel-interview-with-wikileaks-head-julian-assange-a-1044399.html#ref=rss ) and just released this NSA related batch:

NSA Outmanuevered Europe on Torture:

Today, Monday 20 July at 1800 CEST, WikiLeaks publishes evidence of National Security Agency (NSA) spying on German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier along with a list of 20 target selectors for the Foreign Ministry. The list indicates that NSA spying on the Foreign Ministry extends back to the pre-9/11 era, including numbers for offices in Bonn and targeting Joschka Fischer, Vice Chancellor and Foreign Minister from 1998 to 2005.

(SNIP)

Julian Assange, WikiLeaks Editor-in-Chief, said: "Today's publication indicates that the NSA has been used to help the CIA kidnap and torture with impunity. For years the CIA was systematically abducting and torturing people, with the tacit complicity of European governments. In 2005 German Foreign Minister Steinmeier was thrilled that his tactic of asking Condoleezza Rice no hard questions about CIA renditions had worked. The US said nothing that would require him to do anything. And how do we know about it? Because the National Security Agency was gloating to the US senior executive about intercepting this cowardly display. Nobody comes out of this looking good."

I'm still looking at the source documents, but thought I'd stick this in this thread.

https://wikileaks.org/nsa-germany/