The dangers of our new normal...

The NSA is not building a 5 yottabyte data center. No one is. It would cost about $100 trillion to build, to hold the equivalent of 1000 years of internet traffic.

This is the Government we're talking about. They excel at spending other peoples money (and printing it when there isn't enough of that). Again, being the Government, assuming it would cost $100 trillion they would spend about $500 trillion to build it.

And while the concept of a Yottabyte seems excessive today, remember that 20 years ago nobody ever thought we would come close to 4 billion IP addresses.

If you understood my posts in this thread to be blaming one party or the other, you haven't understood anything I've written.

we don't always agree but we certainly do here. it's scary as shite. big brother for real. 1984 in 2015. the frightening analogies are nearly endless. it's abuse of power leading to a logarithmic concentration of power and it's all very secret. the guy that told us about it is public enemy number one. truth is stranger than fiction.

i don't get how libertarians aren't leading the charge here. i guess the paul's have made some screeches, especially the old man. and i salute him for that. it's the truly patriotic thing to do. but how many of the mainline wannabe candidates are screaming about it on either side? and the so called libertarians here seem to think the aca is a bigger threat to individual rights than this. i don't get it. kinda reminds me when one we first invaded iraq and anyone that questioned the wisdom was considered unpatriotic and shunned. the mob mentality at work and it works very well here.

Edited by birdog1960

we don't always agree but we certainly do here. it's scary as shite. big brother for real. 1984 in 2015. the frightening analogies are nearly endless. it's abuse of power leading to a logarithmic concentration of power and it's all very secret. the guy that told us about it is public enemy number one. truth is stranger than fiction.

i don't get how libertarians aren't leading the charge here. i guess the paul's have made some screeches, especially the old man. and i salute him for that. it's the truly patriotic thing to do. but how many of the mainline wannabe candidates are screaming about it on either side? and the so called libertarians here seem to think the aca is a bigger threat to individual rights than this. i don't get it. kinda reminds me when one we first invaded iraq and anyone that questioned the wisdom was considered unpatriotic and shunned. the mob mentality at work and it works very well here.

Well you'd be wrong on that account. As a libertarian I'm anti PATRIOT act, anti ACA, anti just about anything federal-government related.

It amazes me how completely gullible you people are.

That's twenty-five square miles of data storage capacity, using the best theoretical storage media postulated today. Using the best demonstrated storage media available (in a lab, not demonstrated in any quantity whatsoever), that's more than a thousand square miles of data storage capacity. Put another way: to store a yottabyte of data on anything that currently exists, you would be writing data to a storage device the size of Long Island (using a material that is only available in microscopic quantities right now).

Or, using standard technology available right now...you would several million years' of production of all forms of storage media currently manufactured.

Which is actually more ridiculous than the idea that the NSA can somehow spend two trillion dollars without gobsmacking the world economy.

Science is hard.

Well you'd be wrong on that account. As a libertarian I'm anti PATRIOT act, anti ACA, anti just about anything federal-government related.

And as someone with no party affiliation at all, I'm also anti-patriot act and anti-ACA. In fact, I'm anti-most of Washington.

It amazes me how completely gullible you people are.

That's twenty-five square miles of data storage capacity, using the best theoretical storage media postulated today. Using the best demonstrated storage media available (in a lab, not demonstrated in any quantity whatsoever), that's more than a thousand square miles of data storage capacity. Put another way: to store a yottabyte of data on anything that currently exists, you would be writing data to a storage device the size of Long Island (using a material that is only available in microscopic quantities right now).

Or, using standard technology available right now...you would several million years' of production of all forms of storage media currently manufactured.

Which is actually more ridiculous than the idea that the NSA can somehow spend two trillion dollars without gobsmacking the world economy.

one Yottabyte will be in the form of RRAM, initial chips being produced now are 2cm x 2cm x 1mm and hold 2 petabytes of data, 4 Yottabytes will be in the form WORM holographic data storage - as for being the size of Long Island the facility is approximately a square kilometer in footprint with 10 floors above ground and 20 floors below and the data storage will be only in the bottom 3 floors - limitations on the facility have nothing to do with money, or data storage technology, current limitations involve power, cooling, data transmission and staffing.

I'm with you 100%. New federal regulation of the internet isn't going to help any, either. It's all sold the same way, and people just lap it up, accusing dissenters of partisanship. It's beyond pathetic.

People seem to be willing to give up their personal freedom and basic rights for security. Over the last 20 years they have scared people enough between terrorism, environmentalism. Thanks to 9/11 we now have Homeland Security with the TSA. Checkpoints at teh airport where they presume you guilty and pat you down. NSA and god knows whom else with enhanced access to our info without a warrant. Enviro kooks predicting doom and gloom with the ultimate goal of all of us living like ants. Living in stack and pack housing. Driving crappy little death trap cars if were lucky. They really want all of us to cram into public transit. In the end the result is the same. Less freedom and more control and btw, your going to pay way more per square foot to live in that ****ty little condo and if you drive were going to tax the hell out of you to fund all of this control. Damn I just read today that the epa is granting some universities to look into the environmental effects of back yard bbq's! Also going to be studies on hotels and the possibility of monitoring and limiting the usage of water by a guest. There is going to be no end to it.

one Yottabyte will be in the form of RRAM, initial chips being produced now are 2cm x 2cm x 1mm and hold 2 petabytes of data, 4 Yottabytes will be in the form WORM holographic data storage - as for being the size of Long Island the facility is approximately a square kilometer in footprint with 10 floors above ground and 20 floors below and the data storage will be only in the bottom 3 floors - limitations on the facility have nothing to do with money, or data storage technology, current limitations involve power, cooling, data transmission and staffing.

Yeah, I know about RRAM. More to the point, you clearly don't. No one's even close to a half-petabyte per square cm. The best anyone's done is about 250GB per square inch. In a lab.

Where do you even get this ****? Cartoons? Incredibly gullible.

Link to source?

Yeah, I know about RRAM. More to the point, you clearly don't. No one's even close to a half-petabyte per square cm. The best anyone's done is about 250GB per square inch. In a lab.

Where do you even get this ****? Cartoons? Incredibly gullible.

Tom you are clearly a disinformation agent, how many other sites do you spread your crap? I hope you are well paid!- right now DARPA has a 8 kiloqubit Qcomputer that destroys all commercial and all non quantum military encryption in nanoseconds but it is limited to fractions of a second computing time after which it needs minutes to cool to the near absolute zero temperature it needs to work properly. Once these cooling problems and a few other technical issues are ironed out these computers will also transfer to the NSA.

Link to source?

http://sausedo.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/head_up_your_ass1.jpg

Tom you are clearly a disinformation agent, how many other sites do you spread your crap? I hope you are well paid!- right now DARPA has a 8 kiloqubit Qcomputer that destroys all commercial and all non quantum military encryption in nanoseconds but it is limited to fractions of a second computing time after which it needs minutes to cool to the near absolute zero temperature it needs to work properly. Once these cooling problems and a few other technical issues are ironed out these computers will also transfer to the NSA.

I know how quantum computers work. I also know they don't exist. Hell, the only maker of "quantum computers" - D-Wave - can't even prove their quantum computer IS a quantum computer.

I also know THEY'RE NOT DATA STORAGE DEVICES, you idiot. :wallbash:

http://sausedo.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/head_up_your_ass1.jpg

I know how quantum computers work. I also know they don't exist. Hell, the only maker of "quantum computers" - D-Wave - can't even prove their quantum computer IS a quantum computer.

I also know THEY'RE NOT DATA STORAGE DEVICES, you idiot. :wallbash:

I didn't say they were Data storage devices I said they were destroying encryption and I said the NSA will be getting them too- It would be nice if you learned to read DA Tom

I didn't say they were Data storage devices I said they were destroying encryption and I said the NSA will be getting them too- It would be nice if you learned to read DA Tom

I did read. What I can't figure out is: we were discussing data storage, and you brought up something that had nothing to do with it, and you changed the subject, and it's MY !@#$ING FAULT you changed the topic and went off on an irrelevant tangent?

It would be nice if YOU learned to read, dumbass.

I did read. What I can't figure out is: we were discussing data storage, and you brought up something that had nothing to do with it, and you changed the subject, and it's MY !@#$ING FAULT you changed the topic and went off on an irrelevant tangent?

It would be nice if YOU learned to read, dumbass.

You are very emotional for a disinformation agent - phony outrage I'm sure MY and YOU !@#$ing hysterical - and changing the subject (I'm telling you so as to not confuse you) Computers, Data storage, weaponized programing, encryption have all been militarized and just as DARPA is 20-25 years ahead of things we are seeing now like rail-guns and military lasers so are they on computers, data-storage and encryption but hey I'm assured the consumer will be getting a 1 terrabyte RRAM chip for their cell phones in less than 5 years.

You are very emotional for a disinformation agent - phony outrage I'm sure MY and YOU !@#$ing hysterical - and changing the subject (I'm telling you so as to not confuse you) Computers, Data storage, weaponized programing, encryption have all been militarized and just as DARPA is 20-25 years ahead of things we are seeing now like rail-guns and military lasers so are they on computers, data-storage and encryption but hey I'm assured the consumer will be getting a 1 terrabyte RRAM chip for their cell phones in less than 5 years.

Still waiting on a link to source.

And railguns, lasers, and quantum computing chips have exactly what to do with a mythical 5 yottabyte data center?

And railguns, lasers, and quantum computing chips have exactly what to do with a mythical 5 yottabyte data center?

if by mythical you mean fully to spec by 2022 - btw spying isn't the end goal predictive analysis and intervention is.

but spying on the citizenry is the mean to that end, non?

yes but only part - they need information about everything - how much information do you need to simulate a world? and once a world is simulated what interventions will nudge it in the direction you want.