Patience Grasshopper (Brandon Spikes)

I thought Whaley told him no contract offer would be coming

?

I thought it was more like Jerky said , Whaley said Spikes was wanting to find a full time spot.

My thought it that was smoke. He i a thumper and knows it> and he knows brown is a 3 down guy by playing with him.

Spikes will be back

Wish he would stay but is bad against the pass for sure.

H e was not as bad as some think actually. but not how he is best used for sure

The draft has a bunch of pretty good LB prospects in it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills take one.

Sure. But Spikes is a proven intimidator ya think Rex doesnt want him? but still draft one agreed

Edited by 3rdand12

They could really use a guy like Spikes to play the middle when they go with 3 LBs vs the run (or 4 if you count Hughes as an OLB now). If he doesn't come back then there is a hole. Brown can move to MLB and Lawson plays the outside but that's not nearly as strong a combination, IMO.

I think Whaley's approach is smart but risky. If he goes elsewhere, who is available for depth?

Then Whaley has confidence in his eye for good linebacker talent, either in the draft or on the FA scrap heap.

Unlike OL which is a giant ???, Whaley's track record suggests that his confidence in his LB Mojo is not misplaced.

IMO Spikes is a player who is more valuable in Rex's D than in Schwatrz. Also, after loosing Kiko, I thought he would become more needed.

As of right now Manny Lawson is one of our starting LBs, right? That doesn't sit too well with me. Id rather see Spikes in there and maybe Bradham playing more outside.

With the blitzes and schemes, you can hide Spikes weaknesses (pass coverage) and use his strengths (blitzing, run stuffing). I think Bradham could be successful outside too.

Sure. But Spikes is a proven intimidator ya think Rex doesnt want him? but still draft one agreed

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Spikes back. I love the guy and the way he plays. I just believe he wants to be paid like a 3 down LB and given the opportunity to stay on the field, which won't happen in Buffalo next season. But if he wants to come back for the right price and be a key contributor on this defense, I'd welcome him with open arms -- way faster than I would a rookie. I just don't know if it'll work out between the team and player.

IMO Spikes is a player who is more valuable in Rex's D than in Schwatrz. Also, after loosing Kiko, I thought he would become more needed.

As of right now Manny Lawson is one of our starting LBs, right? That doesn't sit too well with me. Id rather see Spikes in there and maybe Bradham playing more outside.

With the blitzes and schemes, you can hide Spikes weaknesses (pass coverage) and use his strengths (blitzing, run stuffing). I think Bradham could be successful outside too.

I actually thought Lawson played great in 2013... maybe even better than Spikes in 2014. If they are running something closer to what Pettine ran, than Schwartz, I wouldn't discount Manny Lawson. Good, solid, vet linebacker depth, with some real flashes at times. I like Spikes and all, but he had some pretty dreadful moments out there in 2014. I like his personality and all, but he was a liability at times.

Edited by Buftex

I hated Spikes as a Patriot* but so far he has played clean with the Bills.

I would want him back knowing his limitations in coverage. He has experience, tough against the run and can mentor the young ones. Wouldn't mind him back on a 1-2 year contract.

He is still young and hungry. he would need something more than a short term deal i imagine. He is already proven.

And sure he wants to get paid.

Hard for me too to believe that i despised him before he became a Bill and now i miss him. :wub: