[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

This. If they are going hard after a guy like Clay then they have a specific plan for someone like him. He's more of a hybrid TE/FB who can line up a lot of different ways

Who is on airport watch?

Would he be on the Pegula jet? Who had the link to that tracker?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that the Bills would structure the offer in a way that is most punitive to Miami. It happens in the NBA all of the time. If Suh's deal has a spike in year 3 (for example) I would expect Clay's offer to do the same. You try to put the current team in as rough of a spot as you can.

but the NFL Network has Suh winning the SB by himself for the Fins.

I would think that the Bills would structure the offer in a way that is most punitive to Miami. It happens in the NBA all of the time. If Suh's deal has a spike in year 3 (for example) I would expect Clay's offer to do the same. You try to put the current team in as rough of a spot as you can.

Great insight. Would be fantastic.

I thought they only needed to match the first year of the deal . Because contracts are not guaranteed idk if this is true but I thought I read this

So give him more year one do phins can't match

I thought they only needed to match the first year of the deal . Because contracts are not guaranteed idk if this is true but I thought I read this

So give him more year one do phins can't match

I'm not positive but it is the exact contract in the NBA (but they are guaranteed). The guaranteed money would need to be matched I would assume? Either way, to your point you can do that in year 1.

In the NBA the contracts are guaranteed and the cap hit is the average of the contract years (So a 3 year 25 million dollar offer with 15 million in year 3 still counts against your cap as 8.3 million each year). I am not sure what the Bills could do to sabotage the Fins as if they don't match then the Bills could have a contract that doesn't fit with their cap plans.

In the NBA the contracts are guaranteed and the cap hit is the average of the contract years (So a 3 year 25 million dollar offer with 15 million in year 3 still counts against your cap as 8.3 million each year). I am not sure what the Bills could do to sabotage the Fins as if they don't match then the Bills could have a contract that doesn't fit with their cap plans.

Once the Suh deal is officially announced, Bills will be able to project Dolphins cap hit going forward. So while Bill scan structure a contract that will inflict pain down the road, the biggest advantage to them is to inflict pain for the fins' 2015 season because they don't have as much room to maneuver. A big front loaded contract should fit Bills better too - Bills can absorb a $8-$9 mill cap hit in '15, with smaller cap hits in later years. Miami can't.

The Bills will do their FA shopping 1st then sign Clay to an offer sheet in a couple of days IMO. No way Miami can grab Suh and fix their cap quick enough to offer Clay a contract we would sign ASAP

So the Bills wait a few days make the offer when they've grabbed their primary top FA;s

Edited by ddaryl

Yes but what if Miami waits the full 7 days to match it and then the Bills are left screwed because the other FA TE's have signed elsewhere

CBF

unless we dont like the top 2-3 other guys or dont think we have a shot at them - then the worry is for nothing

I'm not positive but it is the exact contract in the NBA (but they are guaranteed). The guaranteed money would need to be matched I would assume? Either way, to your point you can do that in year 1.

year 1 would be the biggest issue - once year two rolls around they could restructure and move some things around. obviously doesnt give them total freedom though and they have to live with year 1 totally as is.

obviously you have to structure it in a way that makes sense for you - but as the team making the offer we get a whole lot more flexibility in that than miami would.

unless we dont like the top 2-3 other guys or dont think we have a shot at them - then the worry is for nothing

year 1 would be the biggest issue - once year two rolls around they could restructure and move some things around. obviously doesnt give them total freedom though and they have to live with year 1 totally as is.

I think you're right. It has to be first year.

I also wonder about what happens if the player wants to leave, what does the team do. What if Clay tells them he wants to play in Buffalo. I'm not saying he would, ever, maybe he hates the idea. Just as an example. Or the player could say I'm not restructuring the deal, making it more difficult for them to match.

If Miami is a good chess player they will wait til the last second then match.

For them that would be like sacrificing their queen to take one of the bills pawns. They keep us waiting but further restrict what they can do in free agency by having his cap hang over them. And then if we don't up the ante they screw themselves even more.

On a personal note, I don't think I'll ever use chess and poker references in the same context for the rest of my life so thanks for that.

Edited by The Wiz

I think you're right. It has to be first year.

I also wonder about what happens if the player wants to leave, what does the team do. What if Clay tells them he wants to play in Buffalo. I'm not saying he would, ever, maybe he hates the idea. Just as an example. Or the player could say I'm not restructuring the deal, making it more difficult for them to match.

player could make it VERY difficult if they wanted. ultimately they could accept structures that are even less beneficial to themselves to hurt the other team if they are determined to get out (or threaten a lack of renegotiation, hold out, etc...). no indication thats the case here, but possible to do