Reading Marv's Book

BillsNYC

I'm reading Marv Levy's book and I'm on the page where he's finally hired by the Bills. It's interesting to read how he has built so many teams from nothing, and INVENTED special..err..kicking teams!

A lot of lessons jump out at me through his experiences. The one that I think is most fitting for the current Bills is about his QB controversy in Kansas City.

Marv was talked into drafting QB Steve Fuller in the first round of one of the Chief's drafts. It actually came about the same way that we took Losman, as they had to trade to get back into the first round to get him (side note is that Levy wanted to draft Joe Montana in the 2nd round.)

Levy wanted to have him sit for a year or two so he could learn the game and be called upon when ready. However, the owner and "GM" wanted him played asap as they didn't want a first rounder on the bench. Levy was forced to play him earlier than expected, and of course he didn't produce. Over the years, he never reached his full potential because he simply wasn't ready. Levy says over and over again that a QB should not be started until he is ready. To do so early is almost guaranteed to ruin his career.

That said, I want Bledsoe out of here. He has proven that he can NOT win the big games here. We are in the best division in football, and can't afford his liability (yes, he is a MASSIVE liability because he tries to do too much, instead of maintaing a game) any longer. I also don't want him as a backup, simply because he can't manage a game anymore.

However, I only want JP to start IF HE IS READY. We have what may be the best QB experts in the NFL that can make that call. If he is ready, then he's ready and let's sign a veteran backup that can come in and manage a game, NOT a veteran who will be a liability (Bledsoe, Carter, etc)

If he's not ready, then sign a veteran to a 2 year deal. Maybe Brad Johnson? I don't know, I'm sure you all know more about what veteran qb's are out there.

I'm reading Marv Levy's book and I'm on the page where he's finally hired by the Bills. It's interesting to read how he has built so many teams from nothing, and INVENTED special..err..kicking teams!

A lot of lessons jump out at me through his experiences. The one that I think is most fitting for the current Bills is about his QB controversy in Kansas City.

Marv was talked into drafting QB Steve Fuller in the first round of one of the Chief's drafts. It actually came about the same way that we took Losman, as they had to trade to get back into the first round to get him (side note is that Levy wanted to draft Joe Montana in the 2nd round.)

Levy wanted to have him sit for a year or two so he could learn the game and be called upon when ready. However, the owner and "GM" wanted him played asap as they didn't want a first rounder on the bench. Levy was forced to play him earlier than expected, and of course he didn't produce. Over the years, he never reached his full potential because he simply wasn't ready. Levy says over and over again that a QB should not be started until he is ready. To do so early is almost guaranteed to ruin his career.

That said, I want Bledsoe out of here. He has proven that he can NOT win the big games here. We are in the best division in football, and can't afford his liability (yes, he is a MASSIVE liability because he tries to do too much, instead of maintaing a game) any longer. I also don't want him as a backup, simply because he can't manage a game anymore.

However, I only want JP to start IF HE IS READY. We have what may be the best QB experts in the NFL that can make that call. If he is ready, then he's ready and let's sign a veteran backup that can come in and manage a game, NOT a veteran who will be a liability (Bledsoe, Carter, etc)

If he's not ready, then sign a veteran to a 2 year deal. Maybe Brad Johnson? I don't know, I'm sure you all know more about what veteran qb's are out there.

231191[/snapback]

That's going to earn you a timeout from the retard rodeo, mister.

231191[/snapback]

But the "maintenance" QBs have liabilities too, just not the same ones Bledsoe has. What if we bring someone in with a weak arm and lose the threat of the deep ball? I think the end result might be that our offense might struggle even more.

I was quite frustrated with Bledsoe's play too (especially in the Pittsburgh game). However, he's a known commodity, he's been with the team, and I don't see anyone available who makes me think "Yes! Definitely an upgrade over Bledsoe."

I guess that's why Todd Collins' was so successful as a Bill.

In Marv's defense, maybe Todd actually WAS mentally ready, but the offensive line sure wasn't. Talk about throwing a green QB to the wolves. With all Kelly's experience, he knew he had little chance behind the O-line, circa 1997. Why do you think he called it quits when he did at the end of '96?

I guess that's why Todd Collins' was so successful as a Bill.

In Marv's defense, maybe Todd actually WAS mentally ready, but the offensive line sure wasn't. Talk about throwing a green QB to the wolves. With all Kelly's experience, he knew he had little chance behind the O-line, circa 1997. Why do you think he called it quits when he did at the end of '96?

231403[/snapback]

Very good post. This is a seldom talked about, dirty little secret amongst Bills fans. The blame was being cast everywhere but the OL. In fact, people were praising Fina, and calling Ostroski a "lunch pail player."

The Bills offensive line has destroyed the football team for 10 years or so. McNally is rapidly changing this, but I hope that TD does not deprive him of talent to work with.

The truth is that our beloved Bills are a blue collar, cold weather team. We will NEVER succeed without an offensive line consisting of talented tough guys.

Why thank you, my fellow Bills fan!  :blink:

The Bills will never achieve our dream until they are able to kick the asses of other football teams on the offensive front.

Sadly, this has already been proven.  :P

231592[/snapback]

Bill...I believe this was McNallys down fall with the Giants. If you go back and look at their drafts, they rarely used a pick in the first three rounds on an OL. Instead they just took it for granted that they could sign any 5 scrubs at OL and have him turn them into pro bowlers.

He has proven that he can NOT win the big games here.

One of these days, someone will actually define what the hell this means. Last I checked, all games in the NFL were big games. If it's games against winning temas, we won 3 of 'em this year (the Eagles only won 2...). If it's "every game we lose," then yes, we can't win "big games." :blink:

CW

Very good post. This is a seldom talked about, dirty little secret amongst Bills fans. The blame was being cast everywhere but the OL. In fact, people were praising Fina, and calling Ostroski a "lunch pail player."

The Bills offensive line has destroyed the football team for 10 years or so. McNally is rapidly changing this, but I hope that TD does not deprive him of talent to work with.

The truth is that our beloved Bills are a blue collar, cold weather team. We will NEVER succeed without an offensive line consisting of talented tough guys.

231565[/snapback]

Yup that OL was the demise and also the reason for a QB debate of 7 versus 11. The OL was on a decline at end of Marv years and nothing proper seemed to be done about it.

Bill...I believe this was McNallys down fall with the Giants.  If you go back and look at their drafts, they rarely used a pick in the first three rounds on an OL.  Instead they just took it for granted that they could sign any 5 scrubs at OL and have him turn them into pro bowlers.

231594[/snapback]

There is simply NO WAY that you could be any more correct!!!

They had who, Lomas Brown at LT? He was 85 years old, and weighed about 250. They had an aged Glenn Parker, and a pitiful Dusty Zeigler, who could readily be seen hyper-ventilating on the Bills sideline, yet he took that bunch of misfits to the superbowl!

I dont think that TD will make this mistake. At least I hope not.

231565[/snapback]

i.e., no more Ross Tuckers and Lawrence Smiths and Mike Pucillos and - maybe - Trey Teagues in starting roles. Being a "lunch pail player" is the bare minimum, but it's not enough. We need TALENT to go along with the work ethic.

The weather in RWS often makes passing difficult, and so we need to be able to run at will if we expect to entertain postseason dreams in 2005.

Great post, Bill. 100% accurate.

One of these days, someone will actually define what the hell this means.  Last I checked, all games in the NFL were big games.  If it's games against winning temas, we won 3 of 'em this year (the Eagles only won 2...).  If it's "every game we lose," then yes, we can't win "big games." :blink:

CW

231595[/snapback]

I'll try to help you out.

Example of a big game = against Steelers, week 17...Drew choked.

Example of not a big game = against 49ers, week 16...Drew didn't choke.

231565[/snapback]

Two words: Kent Hull.

It was like having an additional assistant coach in the middle of the OL.

I'll try to help you out.

Example of a big game = against Steelers, week 17...Drew choked.

Example of not a big game = against 49ers, week 16...Drew didn't choke.

231647[/snapback]

But games against the Seahawks, Rams, and Jets (all playoff teams) aren't "big games" because we won, right?

CW