Apple Watch -- will you?

eball

No. Especially not the first version. Already hearing buzz about possible battery issues with both the watch and it draining your phone. But typically the second generation of these devices have more features than the first and I don't have the cash to spend to basically put the iphone I already have into a small version I wear on my wrist.

Does anyone out there actually have one of these smart watches that any company has put out so far? I have a hard time seeing any way that these things are useful.

I have a hard enough time texting/emailing on my iPhone. How the hell are you expected to do that with the tiny screen on the phone?

Speaking of watches, which I wear every day, I remember I bought a watch several years ago. It was a Skagen and super, super thin. I remember on the drive home I said to my wife "it's like the thinnest watch in the world. Hey wait, what movie is that from??" We wracked our brains but couldn't remember. I got home, turned on the TV and when it came on this scene was playing. Freaked us right out!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlOIKtYsos

Seems like the idea would be a whole lot cooler if you could text, email, and take calls on it without having to actually have an iPhone for it to work as well.

The technology for a fully functioning smart phone on your wrist might be a ways off still but that would likely be the jump I would need to pick something like this up.

Edited by Metal Man

As a watch collector, these digital watches make me sad. The beauty of a watch is the art of it, the design, etc. Watches with screens? Just horrible.

Except when the screen can reflect an artistic design. I'm impressed with the variety of straps, also. These aren't meant to look like "computers on the wrist" -- they are pretty stylish.

Anyway, I totally "get" traditionalists who aren't turned on by gadgets like this. I just think they're cool, and since I'm already an iPhone guy it makes sense.

Except when the screen can reflect an artistic design. I'm impressed with the variety of straps, also. These aren't meant to look like "computers on the wrist" -- they are pretty stylish.

Anyway, I totally "get" traditionalists who aren't turned on by gadgets like this. I just think they're cool, and since I'm already an iPhone guy it makes sense.

I hear ya. Just happens that two hobbies of mine are tech and watches. I've owned every iPhone and 4 iPads. But my watches will never have a screen. I own a Panerai PAM000, a Breitling SuperOcean Heritage, and a Deepsea SeaDweller. While I don't consider them "investments" per se, I know I can sell any one of them for at the very least 80% of what I paid. I appreciate nice watches. I just can't stand seeing these smart watches in meetings, etc. just a pet peeve I guess.