Vicks Vaporub on feet for night time cough

Had a really bad cold running through our house. Started with me, then the wife and now one of my sons. He has been miserable since yesterday, coughing like a mad man. Listened to him cough all night last night. I told my wife to buy some Vicks today as I remember it being a great cold cure when I was a kid. Chest, nose, etc.

Well - after reading some things online, I came across literally thousands of posts discussing rubbing some on feet and covering with socks. Long story longer, I put some on my son who has coughed all day to the point of nearly barfing right before bed. He went to bed at about 8:30 and over an hour later he hasn't coughed once.

Anyone ever done this or know of any other cool home remedies????

A GI doc who I worked with said that putting Ivory soap near your legs in bed helps prevent muscle cramps.

No offense Doc, but, that sounds like 99.9% BS.

(this is not a slam at Doc, it is a slam at Ivory's ad campaign...Ivory Soap is 99.9% pure...to which George Carlin (I believe) said "pure what?")

Had a really bad cold running through our house. Started with me, then the wife and now one of my sons. He has been miserable since yesterday, coughing like a mad man. Listened to him cough all night last night. I told my wife to buy some Vicks today as I remember it being a great cold cure when I was a kid. Chest, nose, etc.

Well - after reading some things online, I came across literally thousands of posts discussing rubbing some on feet and covering with socks. Long story longer, I put some on my son who has coughed all day to the point of nearly barfing right before bed. He went to bed at about 8:30 and over an hour later he hasn't coughed once.

Anyone ever done this or know of any other cool home remedies????

I have done Vicks on the feet for the kids before.

My favorite home remedy for a cold is a nice single malt scotch.

(this is not a slam at Doc, it is a slam at Ivory's ad campaign...Ivory Soap is 99.9% pure...to which George Carlin (I believe) said "pure what?")

99.4%

I got it. Good one. :thumbsup:

The one home remedy I know of is for when you get home from a heavy night of drinking: one tall glass of luke warm water and two advil before bed. Wake up good to go.

Ibuprofen with alcohol probably isn't the greatest idea for the old liver...

The one home remedy I know of is for when you get home from a heavy night of drinking: one tall glass of luke warm water and two advil before bed. Wake up good to go.

If you have done a "heavy night of drinking"... Chance are you've done more than just that one night binge! Be careful or you can cause damage to your stomach with NSAID's like aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil). Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can cause liver damage.

"Aspirin or ibuprofen

Over-the-counter painkillers can certainly help ease hangover headaches and the aches and pains you may feel elsewhere in your body after a night of heavy drinking.

But choose carefully. If you're a regular heavy drinker, you may have done some damage to the lining of your stomach, and taking aspirin or ibuprofen (such as Advil) can worsen this damage and even cause bleeding, Dr. Cutler warns.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is also risky for habitual drinkers, due to the potential for liver damage. Check with your doctor about a painkiller that's right for you."

Ibuprofen with alcohol probably isn't the greatest idea for the old liver...

Acetaminophen is bad for liver... Ibuprofen/Aspirin bad for stomach.

Great, now we have EII dispensing medical advice.........................................doomed :ph34r:

LOL

EII - I rarely get to the point where I need to worry about how I'll feel in the morning...but on those rare occassions where I know the room is spinning...yes, I will be careful.

Too much potassium bad for the heart especially in old people like me who are likely to get leg cramps.

Haha, seems like one study says something sis good for you and another says is bad for you for just about everything now.

For this talking about honey, my kids got it mixed with hot tea and a very wee bit of southern comfort to help them sleep. Yes , send me to parent jail now.