Fred Jackson cut??(UPDATE: Pegula says Hell To The No)

Frankly, I'm not sure he's ever been asked to do it in the last 5-6 years except as a returner, because he was too valuable, but I see no reason why Fred could not play some special teams. You don't want him being your gunner but he's tough as ****, can block, has great football instincts, is fearless, and would take pride in it.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all speculation at this point IMO. They don't need to cut anyone even if they sign Powell until they need to get down to 53. Anything can happen between now and then, including injuries.

Exactly! Cutting somebody now made no sense.

Sounds like Whaley thinks that Brown can be great. Only problem is that he hasn't proved it on the field, and has better players on the team.

If that's the dilemma, I don't know how I feel about Whaley. It seems like, "these are my guys," stupidity.

not sure he thinks he can be "great" as much as he thinks he can be a decent young, cheap #2 RB.

It's all speculation at this point IMO. They don't need to cut anyone even if they sign Powell until they need to get down to 53. Anything can happen between now and then, including injuries.

yup - and theres no pressure dollar wise yet. i really do think that it was a bit of a)trying to help fred hitch another team, and b) trying to avoid distraction days before the first game if they decided not to keep freddy

Sounds like Whaley thinks that Brown can be great. Only problem is that he hasn't proved it on the field, and has better players on the team.

If that's the dilemma, I don't know how I feel about Whaley. It seems like, "these are my guys," stupidity.

That's my sense too from what's been reported. Yeah, completely underwhelmed by Brown's inability to seize the opportunity last year. You can use the bad OL excuse only for so long. He was thoroughly outplayed by a geriatric RB with one good leg.

FJ is one of my all-time favorite Bills. If he's on his way out, I'll miss him and regret he didn't get the chance to play for the Bills in the playoffs.

I saw that the Steelers cut Brett Keisel who I think the Steelers regard the same way most of do Freddie. Keisel was a 7th round pick who lasted 13 seasons and was a strong contributor. You can consider them both as overachievers, or just really good players, with a great heart and a strong link to the community.

I doubt that is the case. I think it's simply more like he's younger and cheaper, has a chance to be a starter for a couple years and if Shady goes down for the year he has a chance to be the starter. The exact same reasons he traded for him last year, knowing CJ was a FA, Freddy was getting long in the tooth, and both had a history of getting hurt.

Frankly, I'm not sure he's ever been asked to do it in the last 5-6 years except as a returner, because he was too valuable, but I see no reason why Fred could not play some special teams. You don't want him being your gunner but he's tough as ****, can block, has great football instincts, is fearless, and would take pride in it.

valid - though i wonder if his body would hold up to it. i dont think he would shy away though.

I doubt that is the case. I think it's simply more like he's younger and cheaper, has a chance to be a starter for a couple years and if Shady goes down for the year he has a chance to be the starter. The exact same reasons he traded for him last year, knowing CJ was a FA, Freddy was getting long in the tooth, and both had a history of getting hurt.

And failed miserably when a golden opportunity was thrown in his lap.

That's my sense too from what's been reported. Yeah, completely underwhelmed by Brown's inability to seize the opportunity last year. You can use the bad OL excuse only for so long. He was thoroughly outplayed by a geriatric RB with one good leg.

it was 30 some odd carries with a max of what, 6 or 7 in a game? quite the sample.

i think the stiff arm run, and the fumble run really skew peoples opinions of the two seasons more than probably justified.

And failed miserably when a golden opportunity was thrown in his lap.

With the cluster!@#$ that was the offensive coaching and the line play, I don't think we know how good or bad any of those guys are. He had some flashes and he had some head scratchers. I do not think, however, any back could ave looked good in that offense. It was pitiful.

Yes. Even I expected BB to take the spot over when both RB's when down last year.

Whaley likes Brown's potential. So do I. The argument of basement vs. upside applies here. EJ was younger and cheaper and had a chance to be a good starter. So we cut Fitz. And we paid for it.

it was 30 some odd carries with a max of what, 6 or 7 in a game? quite the sample.

i think the stiff arm run, and the fumble run really skew peoples opinions of the two seasons more than probably justified.

He had 7 games to prove his worth, and for the first four he couldn't nudge Boobie out of the way, and Bills couldn't wait to get Freddie back into the line up. My opinion of Brown is swayed not by Freddie but by Brown's sorry play. Missed holes, missed blocks, quicksand feet.

With the cluster!@#$ that was the offensive coaching and the line play, I don't think we know how good or bad any of those guys are. He had some flashes and he had some head scratchers. I do not think, however, any back could ave looked good in that offense. It was pitiful.

Except Freddy looked better than him in that offense. Cutting Fred now because of the player Bryce Brown may be 3 years from now is foolhardy.

Whaley likes Brown's potential. So do I. The argument of basement vs. upside applies here. EJ was younger and cheaper and had a chance to be a good starter. So we cut Fitz. And we paid for it.

But your point was arrogance was leading his decision not simple analysis.

How exactly did we pay for not keeping Fitz? We would have been 10-6 or 11-5 last year and in the playoffs with him?

But your point was arrogance was leading his decision not simple analysis.

How exactly did we pay for not keeping Fitz? We would have been 10-6 or 11-5 last year and in the playoffs with him?

In 2013, we might have been. In 2013, we wouldn't have had to worry about EJ's development and confidence being stunted by playing when he wasn't close to ready.

I said that may be leading his decision. It kinda sounds like it. I don't think you can trade a pick for a guy and not think he's any good. Clearly, Whaley's got an opinion on Brown. And that may be a bias towards him or against Fred, either way.

In 2013, we might have been. In 2013, we wouldn't have had to worry about EJ's development and confidence being stunted by playing when he wasn't close to ready.

I said that may be leading his decision. It kinda sounds like it. I don't think you can trade a pick for a guy and not think he's any good. Clearly, Whaley's got an opinion on Brown. And that may be a bias towards him or against Fred, either way.

i would hope that whaley has an opinion on our players and tries to pick ones that he thinks will be effective, and part ways with ones he does not think fit our need. whaley has been with this organization a long time and has been a part of 2(?) new deals for fred including one fully on his watch last year.

i would hope that whaley has an opinion on our players and tries to pick ones that he thinks will be effective, and part ways with ones he does not think fit our need. whaley has been with this organization a long time and has been a part of 2(?) new deals for fred including one fully on his watch last year.

1 when he was a GM. And it was while he spent 18 months trying to trade for Brown. I don't think it's a stretch to think that Whaley may think Bryce is actually better than Fred.