FA deals already "done"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can't "come to terms" what in the world is the point of opening discussions... Of course some guys will come to terms, as some offers would simply work.

I think it's probably good for the players in the end. They can come to an agreement with a team and still have another team swoop in and raise the offer a day or two later. The original team couldn't do much about it, even complain openly, since there can't be a deal in place.

Hughes is another example of how it can work. The Bills got a chance to let him get offers without the worry of him signing elsewhere before they had a chance to counter.

Edited by Acantha

Pretty sure it's not the teams releasing it. Perhaps they should contact the agents.

The NFL has no authority over the agents. Telling the teams, means they will put more pressure on the agents to not release the details.

I think it's probably good for the players in the end. They can come to an agreement with a team and still have another team swoop in and raise the offer a day or two later. The original team couldn't do much about it, even complain openly, since there can't be a deal in place.

Hughes is another example of how it can work. The Bills got a chance to let him get offers without the worry of him signing elsewhere before they had a chance to counter.

I think you're right on with why it's done this way. It allows the player and current team to gauge the actual market while allowing the opportunity for each to adjust their compensation position before free agency. Marginalizes the transition tag even more.

The NFL would be the biggest fools if they fine any of the teams for this (especially since the leaks are coming from the agents).

The change in the FA signing period just manufactured another big ratings event for NFL media.