Cap savings by signing Dareus to an extension soon?

Suh probably just set the market for top interior defensive lineman at $60 million guaranteed (114 mm overall).

Dareus probably hopes for that much but also has a full year of performance and injury risk before hitting the free agent market.

Would he be willing to take a 20% discount off that contract, 90 million total, 50 million guaranteed to make sure he is set for life, regardless of what happens this year. And would the Bills be wise to make that investment now in order to save the cap space in the future?

No he won't take any discount. He gets highest paid defender nothing less. He is destined for the tag or he walks without top money. So far Cobb is the only player to take less money and he is only above average. With the cap growing every year the players are not signing early deals. Suh didn't and Dareus wont either. Best chance to get an early deal is Glenn.

Suh probably just set the market for top interior defensive lineman at $60 million guaranteed (114 mm overall).

Dareus probably hopes for that much but also has a full year of performance and injury risk before hitting the free agent market.

Would he be willing to take a 20% discount off that contract, 90 million total, 50 million guaranteed to make sure he is set for life, regardless of what happens this year. And would the Bills be wise to make that investment now in order to save the cap space in the future?

That's a pretty big discount. No way.

Dareus was better than Suh last year. If I was his agent i would just counter every offer with a different highlight of our defense getting gashed in the Oakland game.

Edited by Zac

There's no incentive for Dareus to take anything less than the most he can possibly get on the open market. And the Bills will pay it.

you're missing the point. He is saying Marcel could.sign a contract before the season and guarantee himself $40+ million. If he blows out a knee this year he could end.up with zero.

Thats a huge incentive.

you're missing the point. He is saying Marcel could.sign a contract before the season and guarantee himself $40+ million. If he blows out a knee this year he could end.up with zero.

Thats a huge incentive.

It's a consideration. If the discount is proportional to the risk, its a discussion- players don't have a 20% chance of career ending injury. It's probably closer to 1%?

Thats a huge incentive.

Interesting concept. Risky but interesting. Imagine this cap discussion if we had a franchise QB to pay for.

Interesting concept. Risky but interesting. Imagine this cap discussion if we had a franchise QB to pay for.

We don't though and we should be using that cap money to make the rest of the team capable of overcoming our deficiency at QB, rather than pretending there is one out there just waiting for us to pick him up. With the top qbs all on their way out, our franchise QB will come from the draft with a 4 year rookie contract.

We don't though and we should be using that cap money to make the rest of the team capable of overcoming our deficiency at QB, rather than pretending there is one out there just waiting for us to pick him up. With the top qbs all on their way out, our franchise QB will come from the draft with a 4 year rookie contract.

I disagree. You might think waiting until next season is too long a wait, but the FA class next year is improved and our franchise QB might emerge

do something like 5 years 75 mil all guaranteed.

not a chance. Glad you're not negotiating for the Bills

I disagree. You might think waiting until next season is too long a wait, but the FA class next year is improved and our franchise QB might emerge

and if Dareus refuses to sign and wants to wait until next year........?

and if Dareus refuses to sign and wants to wait until next year........?

Cap set to rise, if thats what youre worried about. Also, its not like Whaley and Brandon cant negotiate with more than one person at a time. I dont exactly get this imaginary conflict here, but if it makes you happy, we could waste stupid money on a career back up this year, or waste a pick on terrible one. Otherwise we could extend Dareus and we'd be all good...

Cap set to rise, if thats what youre worried about. Also, its not like Whaley and Brandon cant negotiate with more than one person at a time. I dont exactly get this imaginary conflict here, but if it makes you happy, we could waste stupid money on a career back up this year, or waste a pick on terrible one. Otherwise we could extend Dareus and we'd be all good...

I'm not worried about anything...cap space, contracts...just excited about what the Bills are doing