How early do you get to the airport

bbb

Flying from Buffalo to NYC tomorrow on JetBlue. I haven't flown in 3 years, I don't think. And, probably 3 years before that.

That one 6 years ago, I go there, and wasn't used to how early you have to get there now - and they wouldn't let me even attempt to board my plane, even though it wasn't taking off for 20 more minutes or so.

I just read you're supposed to be there two hours ahead. With losing an hour of sleep tonight due to the time change, two hours ahead seems especially ridiculous. Especially since Buffalo is not exactly O'Hare.

What is the real time you frequent travelers would get there? Is it really two hours?

Buffalo on a Sunday morning I would think an hour would be fine. No way 2 hours. Some of the smaller airports like Buffalo or Richmond can get backed up at peak times, peak being Monday morning, Friday afternoon, Sunday night after Bills game. Sunday morning should be fine.

I miss the early 90s. We used to leave Cortland an hour before our flight from Syracuse, toss the keys to the rental to anyone nearby and ran for the gate. Security was a 30 second process. Never missed one.

Buffalo on a Sunday morning I would think an hour would be fine. No way 2 hours. Some of the smaller airports like Buffalo or Richmond can get backed up at peak times, peak being Monday morning, Friday afternoon, Sunday night after Bills game. Sunday morning should be fine.

That's true, about 1 hour at BUF, RIC, ROC etc., but don't try it at SFO, EWR, LGA, LAX etc. Even there, 1;30 to 1:45 usually works well. International, Trans Atlantic, Pacific etc. you're back to 2 hours, or more.

I miss the early 90s. We used to leave Cortland an hour before our flight from Syracuse, toss the keys to the rental to anyone nearby and ran for the gate. Security was a 30 second process. Never missed one.

Because I only fly probably every few years, I really hadn't registered the difference. And, I showed up in 2009 in plenty of time, I figured and was so pissed that they wouldn't just let me at least try to get to the gate on time. The plane was just sitting there.

I did it many times in the 90s!

I miss the pre 911 flying days. No security checks and you actually got a steak or chicken on the flight included. Oh and when you could smoke on a plane.

I miss the pre 911 flying days. No security checks and you actually got a steak or chicken on the flight included. Oh and when you could smoke on a plane.

There were always security checks.

Unless you're talking about September 1911.

Another question - before I go poking around all the legalise on JetBlue's site. Since they started charging for check in bags, I usually have brought a carryon that could be stored in the overhead bin. And, a briefcase that had my laptop and some other junk in there............For some reason, I'm thinking that the 2nd thing is no longer allowed. Is it?

Another question - before I go poking around all the legalise on JetBlue's site. Since they started charging for check in bags, I usually have brought a carryon that could be stored in the overhead bin. And, a briefcase that had my laptop and some other junk in there............For some reason, I'm thinking that the 2nd thing is no longer allowed. Is it?

Jet Blue is starting to squeeze some more seats on their planes. And most airlines have reduced their carry-on max size to 22 x 14 x 9.

Flying from Buffalo to NYC tomorrow on JetBlue. I haven't flown in 3 years, I don't think. And, probably 3 years before that.

That one 6 years ago, I go there, and wasn't used to how early you have to get there now - and they wouldn't let me even attempt to board my plane, even though it wasn't taking off for 20 more minutes or so.

I just read you're supposed to be there two hours ahead. With losing an hour of sleep tonight due to the time change, two hours ahead seems especially ridiculous. Especially since Buffalo is not exactly O'Hare.

What is the real time you frequent travelers would get there? Is it really two hours?

Depends on when you are flying. Buffalo actually can be a bit of a pain in the ass because it's small and all the flights leave at the same time. Particulalrly first thing in the morning.

In general, flights start to load about 30 minutes before they are supposed to leave.

I usually fly out of BWI, when i do that I try to get there at least 90 minutes early if only because the lines are unpredictable and I'd rather wait longer on the right side of security than have to rush. Also, if you ever have to fly out of BWI the line at Terminal C is usually much much shorter than A or B and it connects to A and B beyond security. It's 50 yards from the entrance to B and people flat out ignore it.

Also, do yourself a favor, wear simple clothes. No belt if possible. Make sure you wear socks. If you are doing a carry on completely empty your pockets into the carry on before you get in the security line except for your boarding pass and ID.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

I don't miss the smoking (though it's been decades since domestic flights allowed it so I barely remember that). There was always security with metal detectors but it was nothing like today. No restrictions on what you could bring through. But the biggest thing today are the crowds. It's incredible how packed airports are at almost any time of day or night.

Westchester County airport was like a bus terminal in the old days; I used to pull in to the lot (right outside the terminal) 10-15 before the flight -- no people, no lines, just zip through the scanner and walk right on the plane.

That airport has expanded and now serves full bodied jets and with it have come the people. In January we got there at 6:00am on the Friday before MLK weekend and there was already an hour long security line -- at an airport with a total of six gates.

2 hours prior to departure.

so I get time to eat a breakfast (any meal) and stand in front or the "gate" at boarding time

Whenever I push if to 1 hour before I usually run into long lines at security or have to go to the farthest part of the terminal

Couple of things here.

#1 Not that you want to check, but i am pretty certain JetBlue does not charge for at least the 1st carryon.

#2) just remember that as an infrequent flyer, you will be boarding in last zones now. If you are one of the airlines that charge for luggage, most likely be no overheads when you board, so make sure you have laptops, medicine, etc in your briefcase in case you are forced to check your carryon.

#3) Security always lets you through with as many airplane bootles of booze as you like within reason. No reason to pay $7 for drink, bring your own Jack and get free cokes to mix with them. PLus, you have it at the ready when start bumping and need liquid courage like I do when i fly!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm going to print this out when I'm home to have it for future info.

Meanwhile. I'm not sure what time I got to the airport but I got to my gate an hour before boarding. And, now the flight is two hours delayed!!

Where is that wall bash emoji when you're using your phone?!? I need it!!!