On Harrison's interception

1billsfan

It looked as if he immediately fell to the ground then popped up and ran toward the Eagle side of the field with the ball extended. I was wondering if an Eagle player could have come up from behind and ripped the ball away and ran it in for the game winning TD.

I was screaming for the eagles to grab the ball as well, but billsfanone is right, I think if you give yourself up they don't need to touch you to end the play.

230993[/snapback]

I thought the feet-first rule applies only to quarterbacks.

I was screaming for the eagles to grab the ball as well, but billsfanone is right, I think if you give yourself up they don't need to touch you to end the play.

230993[/snapback]

Not true. The play is live until you are touched by a member of the other team while on the ground.

Not true.  The play is live until you are touched by a member of the other team while on the ground.

231000[/snapback]

It's a good thing noone was paying attention, but I also believed that he was NOT down regardless of how he went down. Frankly, my money was on the under 47 1/2 so I was simply yelling for him to "go down, go down" so he wouldn't tip the final score.

But to my understanding, an Iggle COULD have taken the ball and scored. And THAT would have made for a memorable Super Bowl.

Not true.  The play is live until you are touched by a member of the other team while on the ground.

231000[/snapback]

I do not think is true. I cant remeber exactly, but there was a play , i think last year, where a receiver caught a ball and before he could get out of bounds the clock expired. I remeber the announcers saying that he could have dropped where he cuaght the ball and used a timeout to stop the clock.

Again, not positive on the rule

I do not think is true. I cant remeber exactly, but there was a play , i think last year, where a receiver caught a ball and before he could get out of bounds the clock expired.  I remeber the announcers saying that he could have dropped where he cuaght the ball and used a timeout to stop the clock.

Again, not positive on the rule

231010[/snapback]

I'm not either, but the whole discussion is moot if a ref blew his whistle after Harrison hit the ground, which could very well have happened.

Sorry, rules are that any player who voluntarily gives themselves up (eg, by taking a knee) officially ends the play.

231015[/snapback]

If that is true, I stand corrected. I've never heard of this before, except for a QB taking a knee at the end of a half or game

If that is true, I stand corrected.  I've never heard of this before, except for a QB taking a knee at the end of a half or game

231023[/snapback]

Someone said it earlier, but there was discussion a while back that, if a player is running in the open field near the end of a half or game, and it's clear he won't score AND won't get tackled or out of bounds before the clock runs out, he can take a knee and call time out immediately.

Similar to the 'taking a knee' in the end zone on a kickoff.

If that is true, I stand corrected.  I've never heard of this before, except for a QB taking a knee at the end of a half or game

231023[/snapback]

Absolutely. Any player can take a knee and give himself up to end the play. The only thing with Harrison was that he just fell to the ground, didn't really make it obvious that he was "taking a knee." So initially I was also thinking that the ball was still live.