Need to chop ice on roof today

mead107

Have not had to do that in 10 plus years

I say the hell with it. You would be standing on the ice you are trying to remove. Too much of a chance for bad things to happen. I live about 35 miles from you. We had about five feet of wet snow on our roof during the last harsh winter several years ago. I got up on the roof,and started shoveling.I finally said: 'screw it'. 'I'm insured' It simply wasn't worth the risk.

I say the hell with it. You would be standing on the ice you are trying to remove. Too much of a chance for bad things to happen. I live about 35 miles from you. We had about five feet of wet snow on our roof during the last harsh winter several years ago. I got up on the roof,and started shoveling.I finally said: 'screw it'. 'I'm insured' It simply wasn't worth the risk.

Yep! That's what my father said in Novemember after the 7 feet. A bunch of profiteers from New Jersey were riding around with a Bobcat in tow... They were charging about 1,000 bucks to do a driveway and roof! And... People were paying. If I had my buisness sense, I would have trailered in a rented Bobcat/Mustang and under cut them... Charged just to break even for rental, fuel and tow!

What would the insurance company rather pay out on... Your death or a roof... Rake the drifts and snow from the ground and leave the rest to Mother Nature. Actually, you will end up with more damage if you go to crazy on it! It's like my soft top on my Jeep. Almost 10 years old and I never touch it AT ALL below 45 degrees! If the roof is done right, you shouldn't get too much ice. A nice band of "ice water" type tar paper a few feet up from the eaves and in the valleys helps. Run a roof heating cable for the rough areas that freeze bad. Run it down the gutter and downspout to create a drip channel. Turn it on when the ice and snow is actively thawing.

Get yourself a Slaters Hammer. After removing snow above the ice dam use the Hammer Head on the Soft ice which is on the top or highest up the roof. Remove the ice. This will let you see if you have any pooling water. Next use the pointed end and start chopping. Once you get the ice down to two inches or so you can gently use the Hammer Head to remove the rest of the ice on the roof or throw some calcium chloride on the"bottom" ice. You should make the channel at least 2-3 feet wide. Make sure your ladder is 3 feet above the gutter. When I remove icicles I start at the bottom and work up.